When Christians Quit Church

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
FrankiE-
That's what I meant.

Sold Out-
The gospel is that Jesus died and rose again, to set us free from sin. Well, that's it in a nutshell.

logos_x

So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore

So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore

There a really cool website that puts this phenominon in perspective...and it does it in the form of a story.

Chapter 10 has just been posted recently...but I really can relate to the main character.
Heres the link. Since this is a book I really don't expect any kind of response soon...but it would be nice to discuss it sometime in the future...

So...you don't want to go to Church anymore

Enjoy!

logos_x

Lucky said:
I've seen that site before, but I can't remember how I came across it. Maybe this time I'll actually read some chapters.

It's really good. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lucky, I just noticed your new user title. :chuckle:

I tried to give you some rep points for it but lo and behold...
"You must spread some around before giving them to Lucky again" :blabla:

I don't even remember giving you any yet. :eek:

logos_x

beanieboy said:
What is your opinion of the stadium churches with the high tech whatzits and the band, etc.?

Welcome to the 21st century.

What do you want? The Dark Ages again?

Sold Out

lighthouse said:
FrankiE-
That's what I meant.

Sold Out-
The gospel is that Jesus died and rose again, to set us free from sin. Well, that's it in a nutshell.

That's it....(I Cor 15:1-4)....thanks!

Sold Out

beanieboy said:
What is your opinion of the stadium churches with the high tech whatzits and the band, etc.?

We have this mega-church here in the city I live in. They have the huge building, youth center, book store, coffee shop. It's real showy, and they do believe and preach the gospel, but it's too much. People get too comfortable with all their temporal pleasures, including nice buildings, fancy worship music services, etc. My son goes to some of their youth functions, and he tells me about all the drugs and stuff going on up there. There's too many kids to keep up with. I think when a church starts getting too big, then another sister church needs to be planted.

Mr. 5020

lighthouse said:
You can't find any churches in your area that believe that Jesus died and rose again to set us free from sin? Even the mormons believe that.

Caille

Is anyone here a listener of Harold Camping's call in show on the Family Life Network ? His focus is that we have reached the end of the "church age" and that churches are superfluous.

A false prophet. He first predicted the end of the world to take place in 1994, and now claims the church age has come to an end. Phil Johnson notes:

Harold Camping has finally gone completely off. Having proved himself a false prophet by predicting that Christ would return to earth on September 6, 1994, Camping continues to make false prophecies. His most recent one is the absurd claim that the Church age has come to an end, and the Tribulation has begun. God is through with the church, Camping insists. He wants all Christians to leave their churches and trust Family Radio to be the vehicle through which the gospel is preached to the whole world. (You can guess where Camping thinks you should send all your money.) This once-fine ministry is a tragic example of what can happen when one man is given too much control with no accountability.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/c166.html

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lucky said:
I've seen that site before, but I can't remember how I came across it. Maybe this time I'll actually read some chapters.
I got about halfway through chapter one when I came across this:

"And with all that love, [Jesus] was completely honest. Yet even when his actions or words exposed people's darkest motives, they didn't feel shamed. They felt safe with him. His words conveyed not even a hint of judgment, simply an entreaty to come to God and be freed by him. There was no one you would trust more quickly with your deepest secrets. If someone were going to catch you at your worst moments you'd want it to be him.

"He wasted no time mocking others, nor their religious trappings."​
:doh:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:

"And with all that love, [Jesus] was completely honest. Yet even when his actions or words exposed people's darkest motives, they didn't feel shamed. They felt safe with him. His words conveyed not even a hint of judgment, simply an entreaty to come to God and be freed by him. There was no one you would trust more quickly with your deepest secrets. If someone were going to catch you at your worst moments you'd want it to be him.

:hammer:

I actually read through chapter 2, and I can't say it gets any better.

Crow

Turbo said:

:doh:
Of course not. It was time well spent! :thumb:

pwbayon

To go to church or not. That is a difficult question. I have gone regularly during some times and others have not. Church is about fellowship and helping one another. That is needed. But I cannot find a church that I can agree with their doctrinal statement 100%. So I feel I have to keep my mouth shut on some issues and that limits fellowship. But an organization has to have its positions or you have chaos. We do need organizations to run outreach/missions and that comes through churches.