What Would Be The Essential Components of Ensuring Eternal Life in Heaven.

Jenkins

Naturally, something as crucial as this cannot be based upon opinion, human tradition, or human declaration, all of which are fallable.

If there is no place in Scripture which answers this issue, it might suffice to know what are the reasons for being excluded from Eternal Life with God.

Please edit musings, hypothetical thinking, and poorly relevant statements.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Naturally, something as crucial as this cannot be based upon opinion, human tradition, or human declaration, all of which are fallable.

If there is no place in Scripture which answers this issue, it might suffice to know what are the reasons for being excluded from Eternal Life with God.

@JudgeRightly is correct, I did have a thread on this basic question. I called it, "The Gospel Proper". I was surprised by two things, I was persuaded to change my mind on one important point and I was surprised at where the disagreements manifested themselves. In the end I landed on the following list of doctrines that one must believe in order to be saved.
  • God exists and is the Creator of all things and He is perfect, holy, and just.
  • We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who gave us life, deserve death.
  • Because God loves us, He provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) by becoming a man whom we call Jesus Christ.
  • Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin, willingly bore the sins of the world and died on our behalf.
  • Jesus rose from the dead.
  • If you confess with you mouth, the Lord Jesus Christ (i.e. openly acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.
One should note that while there are only six bullet points, there are actually quite a few more than six doctrines packed in those six statements.
It is my firm conviction that one must affirm all of what is said in these six statements in order to be saved and that if you do affirm them you absolutely will be saved, regardless of what other doctrines you believe, whether in error or not.

If you're interested in reading through the thread that produced that list, here's a link to it....

The Gospel Proper

It isn't necessary for you to do so, if you don't want. I'm happy to discuss this topic from whichever direction you'd like. You can pick apart my list if you want or present one of your own or do something else entirely.

Clete

Jenkins

@JudgeRightly is correct, I did have a thread on this basic question. I called it, "The Gospel Proper". I was surprised by two things, I was persuaded to change my mind on one important point and I was surprised at where the disagreements manifested themselves. In the end I landed on the following list of doctrines that one must believe in order to be saved.
  • God exists and is the Creator of all things and He is perfect, holy, and just.
  • We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who gave us life, deserve death.
  • Because God loves us, He provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) by becoming a man whom we call Jesus Christ.
  • Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin, willingly bore the sins of the world and died on our behalf.
  • If you confess with you mouth, the Lord Jesus Christ (i.e. openly acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.
One should note that while there are only six bullet points, there are actually quite a few more than six doctrines packed in those six statements.
It is my firm conviction that one must affirm all of what is said in these six statements in order to be saved and that if you do affirm them you absolutely will be saved, regardless of what other doctrines you believe, whether in error or not.

If you're interested in reading through the thread that produced that list, here's a link to it....

The Gospel Proper

It isn't necessary for you to do so, if you don't want. I'm happy to discuss this topic from whichever direction you'd like. You can pick apart my list if you want or present one of your own or do something else entirely.

Clete
Excellent. The Gospel of Mercy and Salvation goes forth.

Jenkins

The Gospel Proper

Clete
Now that you I have so well lined up the Ducks in a smart row, shall I throw them crackers? Lol.

Hoping

Banned

Loving God with all one's might, and loving one's neighbor as one loves themselves. (Luke 10:25-28)

Hoping

Banned
Won't get you to heaven.

See Clete's answer above.
Will it keep me from heaven?
Jesus' two points are actually characteristics of belief in Clete's 6 points.
To act contrary to Jesus' 2 points manifests unbelief in the first 6.

marke

The essential element in the process of sinners securing salvation from the Lord is to find out what He is looking for and do everything in one's power to ensure that His conditions are properly met.

Isaiah 66:2
For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Will it keep me from heaven?
Jesus' two points are actually characteristics of belief in Clete's 6 points.
To act contrary to Jesus' 2 points manifests unbelief in the first 6.
I disagree. In fact, it seems to me that you are mixing a bit of law in with grace. If you love God or your neighbor because there's a list of rules on the wall that says to do so, you've missed the entire point of Paul's gospel of grace.

Jesus was teaching the law. He was born under the law, obeyed the law and taught others to do the same. But when Israel, the people of the law, were cut off, the law was done away with for righteousness sake. You DO NOT need the law! In fact, the law is there is kill you, not save you. It's purpose is to convict not redeem. You don't need 600 commandments, you don't need 10 commandments, you don't need 2 commandments! You need NO commandments! The curse of the law has been lifted and we who are in Christ are now restored to a position likened to Adam in the Garden of God in that just as Adam was not to partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are not to partake of the law.

Should we love God and our neighbor? Of course! But not because Moses, nor Jesus, nor even the Father Himself commands it. A proper love for God, our neighbor and ourselves comes as a result of salvation and is not requisite to it.

Clete

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil

Hoping

Banned
I disagree. In fact, it seems to me that you are mixing a bit of law in with grace.
I fail to see how honoring the words of Jesus Christ constitutes "law".
If you love God or your neighbor because there's a list of rules on the wall that says to do so, you've missed the entire point of Paul's gospel of grace.
Rules/laws don't, can't, force love.
Thankfully the reborn get a new, divine nature wherein love comes naturally.
Jesus was teaching the law. He was born under the law, obeyed the law and taught others to do the same. But when Israel, the people of the law, were cut off, the law was done away with for righteousness sake. You DO NOT need the law! In fact, the law is there is kill you, not save you. It's purpose is to convict not redeem. You don't need 600 commandments, you don't need 10 commandments, you don't need 2 commandments! You need NO commandments! The curse of the law has been lifted and we who are in Christ are now restored to a position likened to Adam in the Garden of God in that just as Adam was not to partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are not to partake of the law.
Will murderers inherit eternal life?
To imagine for a second that there are no guidelines inherent in Christianity is folly.
Should we love God and our neighbor? Of course! But not because Moses, nor Jesus, nor even the Father Himself commands it. A proper love for God, our neighbor and ourselves comes as a result of salvation and is not requisite to it.
It is the result of conversion.
The unconverted will not be able to accomplish the two, nor the six.
Agreed?

Bradley D

"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life" (1 John 5:11-12).

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:8,9.

"not of works"

"not of works"

"not of works"

marke

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:8,9.

"not of works"

"not of works"

"not of works"
A Christian's works flow from the Holy Spirit within and those who have no fruitful evidence of the indwelling Holy Spirit have no evidence they are saved.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
A Christian's works flow from the Holy Spirit within and those who have no fruitful evidence of the indwelling Holy Spirit have no evidence they are saved.
True, but if said Christian performs good works because he believes Christ's blood is not sufficient, he has fallen away from grace.

marke

True, but if said Christian performs good works because he believes Christ's blood is not sufficient, he has fallen away from grace.
You are right, Jesus cannot save anyone who seeks to justify himself by good works.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Hoping

Banned

"not of works"

"not of works"

"not of works"
Right, no more works of the Mosaic Law.
Circumcision will not profit anyone.