ECT What is your definition of free will?

nikolai_42

Can you choose to love? <sincerely asked>

You can choose to show love, but I don't believe you can choose to love. No. Christ commands love and in this sense, it is a verb. It is what we do. We aren't commanded to have an automatic reaction of the heart wherein we naturally feel love for our enemies (not possible without our hearts being thus prepared by God).

And when it comes to Christ, we are told this :

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
I John 4:10

We love him, because he first loved us.
I John 4:19

andyc

Can you choose how your heart responds to things (lust, hatred, envy etc...)? I'm not talking about actions here, but the inner, first response of the heart.

For a non believer it depends on how sensitive a person's conscience is.
Hatred, lust, and envy may be regarded as natural responses in certain circumstances.
For a Spirit filled believer who's senses are exercised, it is not too difficult to harness feelings and emotions, and bring each thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

TIPlatypus

Upon what are your choices based? Can you choose against your will?

If I will to do something, and I do it, then that is my choice. Perhaps, I am a slave and often do not choose to do what I want to do. That does not mean I am forced to make those choices.

TIPlatypus

Free will has to do with the options one has based on the constraints of creation and their own world view.

I cannot chose to be a walrus.. or an elephant.. or a fish.

I cannot chose to live on some far off planet in a distant galaxy.

We are limited.

I agree so far

The universe confines us by a definite set of rules.

In much the same way we are unable to chose our own salvation, because it is not a choice available to use. Salvation is a gift of God whereas he chooses us because only he is able to make that choice.

If the universe confined us by a set of rules, then we would have to follow those rules, with no choice in the matter, They are the fundamental universal laws of the universe right, how can we not follow them?

I do not understand how you can liken choosing to be come an elephant or a walrus can be likened to choosing our salvation.

God chose to save all of us, but only some of us will accept the gift of salvation. We have that choice. We would not have that choice if God did not choose to save us.