What is the Gospel?

dataylor

Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew 4:23*Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew 9:35*Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew 10:5-7*These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go,*preach,saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 1:14-15*Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,*preaching the gospel of God,and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and*the kingdom of God is at hand;repent and believe*in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel), as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while Heuses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 50 times, while He uses the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" 29 times. Thus Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question: Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"

God's Truth

Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew 4:23*Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew 9:35*Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew 10:5-7*These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go,*preach,saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 1:14-15*Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,*preaching the gospel of God,and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and*the kingdom of God is at hand;repent and believe*in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel), as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while Heuses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 50 times, while He uses the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" 29 times. Thus Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question: Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"

Saved and salvation are the same thing, and so is Kingdom of Heaven and Kingdom of God.

God's Truth

When we are saved we have salvation; we have the kingdom of God, the kingdom of heaven in our hearts, and we are also seated with Jesus in heaven.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Jesus was preaching to the lost sheep of Israel; NOT Gentiles yet. AFTER Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected and AFTER He ascended, Jesus returned to many. He returned to Paul separately and gave Paul the gospel of our Salvation. whatever you do, don't listen to God's Truth. don't listen to me either except the part about God's Truth. others will tell you - :patrol:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
What is the Gospel?

Which one?

There is the 'good news' of the birth of Christ.
There is the 'good news' regarding the Messianic Davidic Kingdom at hand for National Israel.
There is the 'good news' of the grace of God for all nations.

Bradley D

Part of the "good news" is "peace."

"You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all" (Acts 10:36).

The world brings many worries and confusion. The gospel show us the truth and what is really important. The Word of God as given us by the Lord Jesus.

genuineoriginal

Here is another version of the Gospel that Jesus preached:

Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.​

Here is one of the things that Paul wrote about the Gospel:

Galatians 1:8
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.​

This leads to one of the following conclusions:
  1. Paul preached the same Gospel as the angel in Revelation
  2. Paul is accursed
  3. The angel in Revelation is accursed

heir

TOL Subscriber
Here is another version of the Gospel that Jesus preached:

Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.​

Here is one of the things that Paul wrote about the Gospel:

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.​

This leads to one of the following conclusions:
  2. Paul is accursed
There's more than one gospel in the Bible and there's nothing "genuine" about acting as if they're all the same, so stop it.

genuineoriginal

There's more than one gospel in the Bible
There is only one everlasting gospel.

and there's nothing "genuine" about acting as if they're all the same, so stop it.

What part of "any other gospel" are you having trouble understanding?

heir

TOL Subscriber
There is only one everlasting gospel.

What part of "any other gospel" are you having trouble understanding?
What part of "unto you" are you having a problem understanding?

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

genuineoriginal

What part of "unto you" are you having a problem understanding?

We are talking about your opinion that Paul preached another gospel than was preached by the angel with the everlasting gospel.

Since it is commonly accepted that the book of Revelation was written after Paul's letter to the Galatians, then we have three choices:
  2. Paul is accursed

You think Paul did not preach the everlasting gospel, so pick one of the other two.

Was Paul accursed or was the angel in Revelation accursed?

heir

TOL Subscriber
We are talking about your opinion that Paul preached another gospel than was preached by the angel with the everlasting gospel.

Since it is commonly accepted that the book of Revelation was written after Paul's letter to the Galatians, then we have three choices:
  2. Paul is accursed

You think Paul did not preach the everlasting gospel, so pick one of the other two.

Was Paul accursed or was the angel in Revelation accursed?

You seem to be having a natural man moment (1 Corinthians 2:13 KJV). I'll try to spell it out a bit slower for you:

If anyone including Paul, those with Paul or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel to the Galatians (and us by extension today) than the gospel that Paul and those with him (the "we" of verse 8 ) preached unto them and that which the Galatians had received, let him be accursed.

You don't have to like it (those who pervert the gospel of Christ and those who want it all to be the same gospel because of their tradition {which it's not} don't like it), but that's what the text is saying and it's in plain English! "unto you" is the key!

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

genuineoriginal

You seem to be having a natural man moment (1 Corinthians 2:13 KJV).
You are projecting your faults, again.

I'll try to spell it out a bit slower for you:

If anyone including Paul, those with Paul or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel to the Galatians (and us by extension today) than the gospel that Paul and those with him (the "we" of verse 8 ) preached unto them and that which the Galatians had received, let him be accursed.
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
So, based on what Paul said, which you clearly understand that Paul said, you have three choices:

2. Paul is accursed

Which one is it?

You don't have to like it (those who pervert the gospel of Christ and those who want it all to be the same gospel because of their tradition {which it's not} don't like it), but that's what the text is saying and it's in plain English! "unto you" is the key!

Acts 14:19-22
19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.​

When Paul preached the gospel to the people in Derbe, he preached the gospel of the kingdom of God that Jesus preached.

Derbe, Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch were cities in the Roman province of Galatia, so this account in Acts is the account of Paul preaching the gospel to the Galatians.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different.

Because they are. The Lord Jesus Christ was a minister to the circumcision. Your apostle is Paul, not Peter.

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
The Gospel is the "Good News" that Jesus justifies the ungodly without works, Romans 4:5 and has reconciled us and the world unto himself, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

Paul also said that the Gospel is... "The power of God unto salvation to every one that believes" Romans 1:16.

The Gospel is about Jesus Christ and how he has in our name and on our behalf victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil, Colossians 2:15.

Jesus acceptance into heaven is our acceptance, we are accepted in him. God now sees us "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3.

In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30.

beloved57

The Gospel is the "Good News" that Jesus justifies the ungodly without works, Romans 4:5 and has reconciled us and the world unto himself, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

Paul also said that the Gospel is... "The power of God unto salvation to every one that believes" Romans 1:16.

The Gospel is about Jesus Christ and how he has in our name and on our behalf victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil, Colossians 2:15.

Jesus acceptance into heaven is our acceptance, we are accepted in him. God now sees us "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3.

In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30.

TULIP sets forth the Gospel of Gods Grace in Christ, and as of now, you dont believe it !

Zeke

There's more than one gospel in the Bible and there's nothing "genuine" about acting as if they're all the same, so stop it.

Seeing there is neither Jew or Gentile, Male or Female in Christ the ethnic/gender labels used in the symbols/parabolic stories in the scripture, only veil the truth when taken has being historic 2Cor3:6.

The wall that separates is in the mind/temple, a veil that forbids the lower thoughts of the animal/beast/flesh in bondage to the elements/matter/Dead Luke 15:45 Romans 7:9, from entering into the vault/ark/ through the way, the peniel gland Gen 32:30 of Divine sight in the temple/mind the kingdom of heaven.

Literally speaking the gospel was revealed to Abraham before hand Galatians 3:8 and dealt with the flesh vs spirit teaching in Galatians so there is no other so called gospels, which is a revelation based message, no man under the mentality of the lower mind can enter that space within and open the vault of the Divine new born Galatians 1:12 3:2. Galatians 4:28 shows that birth happen in us just like it did in Abram, Luke 17:20-21 in the kingdom of IS-RA-EL .