What is the express image of God?

keypurr

Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Heb 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Col 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Who or What is this EXPRESS image of God?

1. God is a spirit, so his image would be a spirit.
2. This is God's firstborn of every creature, a creation.
3. This spirit has deity for it has the fullness of the father.
4. This spirit was with God before the creation, creation was done through this spirit.
5. This spirit is a form of God

I use the term Christ spirit to discribe this image.

What do YOU think it is?

Livelystone

Good post!

Jesus Christ is the express image of God aka the image AND likeness of God having the same spirit and soul as God. Therefore when you see Jesus you see the Father

Man having a spirit and soul is simply made in the image of God, but man made in both the image and likeness as stated God in Ge.1;26 is the fulfillment of His plan for man

This is why Jesus is the first-fruit of many to come

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I look at it like this. Jesus is the express image of God so when He sat at His right side and looked over He saw Himself.

Pierac

It's what we are to become at our resurrection from the dead! On the last day!

John 6:39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.

John 6:40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Joh 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Joh 11:24 Martha *said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."

We shall all have the express image of God on the last day at our resurrection! Then we shall be like HIM! (Jesus) our brother... the first born from the dead!

:poly::sherlock:
Paul

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

No, GOD is infinite spirit, invisible.... and the point is that the image is the visible revelation of the invisible GOD.
The 'image' is tangeable, visible, the knowable expression of the very essence of GOD.

G5481

image-χαρακτήρ
charaktḗr; gen. charaktḗros, masc. noun from charássō (n.f., see cháragma [G5480]), to carve. Occurs only in Heb_1:3 where it is translated "express image," referring to Jesus Christ. Here He is described as the charaktḗr tḗs hupostáseōs autoú (tē̄́s [G3588], the [gen. fem.]; hupostáseōs [G5287], essence [gen.]; autoú [G846], he [gen. masc.]), "the exact image of His [God's] essence" (a.t.). Whatever the divine essence is, Jesus is said to be its perfect expression. The writer of Hebrews thus sets forth a high Christology affirming the deity of Jesus Christ.-Spiros Zodhiates "Complete Word Study Dictionary"

2. This is God's firstborn of every creature, a creation.

The term 'firstborn' naturally means the first one born, but was modified in GOD's election to be a title of rank.
Of Noah's sons, Japheth was the first born, but Shem is mentioned first because he carries the blessing and inheritance.
Of Abraham's sons, Ishmael was born first, but Isaac becomes the 'yachid/only' son.
Of Isaac's sons, Esau is born first, but Jacob gets the blessing and inheritance.
Of Jacob's sons, Reuben is born first, but the King will come from Judah.
Of Joseph's sons, Manassah is born first, but GOD calls Ephraim His firstborn.
In Psalms, the prophesy describes the future Messiah as GOD's firstborn by election.
The LORD Jesus Christ is the firstborn from the dead and the firstborn of the new creation. This has nothing to do with His beginning in time. HE exists eternally.

3. This spirit has deity for it has the fullness of the father.

Whatever GOD's 'substance' is, Jesus Christ is the same 'substance'.
Deity has no beginning and is uncreated.

Heb 1:3 who being the effulgence of his glory, and the very image of his substance

4. This spirit was with God before the creation, creation was done through this spirit.

Do you really not understand, that before the creation there was nothing but that which is uncreated and has no beginning.....GOD.

5. This spirit is a form of God

This Spirit is GOD!

keypurr

Good post!

Jesus Christ is the express image of God aka the image AND likeness of God having the same spirit and soul as God. Therefore when you see Jesus you see the Father

Man having a spirit and soul is simply made in the image of God, but man made in both the image and likeness as stated God in Ge.1;26 is the fulfillment of His plan for man

This is why Jesus is the first-fruit of many to come

I think your part right but on the right track. God is a spirit, so his exact image would be a spirit. I believe that when Jesus was bapitsed this spirit was put into him. That is when Jesus became the Christ with all the power of his father.

Thank you for posting, Peace

keypurr

I look at it like this. Jesus is the express image of God so when He sat at His right side and looked over He saw Himself.

No, there is more to it than that. God used Jesus to show who God really is like. You cannot see aspirit but you can see a man. So in this way, God put this spirit into his physical son who was sinless. This spirit is a copy of the father, so if you can see what this spirit is like, you have seen the father.

Peace

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think your part right but on the right track. God is a spirit, so his exact image would be a spirit. I believe that when Jesus was bapitsed this spirit was put into him. That is when Jesus became the Christ with all the power of his father.

Thank you for posting, Peace

Again friend let me point you to Luke 2;11

Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

keypurr

It's what we are to become at our resurrection from the dead! On the last day!

John 6:39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.

John 6:40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Joh 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Joh 11:24 Martha *said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."

We shall all have the express image of God on the last day at our resurrection! Then we shall be like HIM! (Jesus) our brother... the first born from the dead!

:poly::sherlock:
Paul

Paul, this express image was created first. God created the world THROUGH this spirit. Because man is created in the image of God is not the same as having the express image of God. Paul tells us that Christ is the image of God. I see Christ the spirit, and Jesus the flesh as two, yet combined at his baptism. I think that Jesus became the Christ then. He had to go into the wilderness for 40 days to get used of this power he was given, then Satan tested him.

The exact image of God is a created godlike creature. A form of God.

I'm glad I got your interest for no one else wishes to do deep into it with me. I hope you will disagree so we can do just that.

Peace brother

keypurr

No, GOD is infinite spirit, invisible.... and the point is that the image is the visible revelation of the invisible GOD.
The 'image' is tangeable, visible, the knowable expression of the very essence of GOD.

G5481

image-χαρακτήρ
charaktḗr; gen. charaktḗros, masc. noun from charássō (n.f., see cháragma [G5480]), to carve. Occurs only in Heb_1:3 where it is translated "express image," referring to Jesus Christ. Here He is described as the charaktḗr tḗs hupostáseōs autoú (tē̄́s [G3588], the [gen. fem.]; hupostáseōs [G5287], essence [gen.]; autoú [G846], he [gen. masc.]), "the exact image of His [God's] essence" (a.t.). Whatever the divine essence is, Jesus is said to be its perfect expression. The writer of Hebrews thus sets forth a high Christology affirming the deity of Jesus Christ.-Spiros Zodhiates "Complete Word Study Dictionary"

The point is God is spirit, an exact image would be a spirit. Would you agree to that? Keep in mind that an image is not what it is an image of. An image is a creation.

The term 'firstborn' naturally means the first one born, but was modified in GOD's election to be a title of rank.
Of Noah's sons, Japheth was the first born, but Shem is mentioned first because he carries the blessing and inheritance.
Of Abraham's sons, Ishmael was born first, but Isaac becomes the 'yachid/only' son.
Of Isaac's sons, Esau is born first, but Jacob gets the blessing and inheritance.
Of Jacob's sons, Reuben is born first, but the King will come from Judah.
Of Joseph's sons, Manassah is born first, but GOD calls Ephraim His firstborn.
In Psalms, the prophesy describes the future Messiah as GOD's firstborn by election.
The LORD Jesus Christ is the firstborn from the dead and the firstborn of the new creation. This has nothing to do with His beginning in time. HE exists eternally.

Yes firstborn can mean first in rank but most usage of the word means first born. In Colossians I think it means BOTH.

Whatever GOD's 'substance' is, Jesus Christ is the same 'substance'.
Deity has no beginning and is uncreated.

Heb 1:3 who being the effulgence of his glory, and the very image of his substance

Read your verse again: the very IMAGE of his substance. Again, not the same substance but the image of. God has no limits, he gave deity to his image.

Do you really not understand, that before the creation there was nothing but that which is uncreated and has no beginning.....GOD.

This Spirit is GOD!

For your consideration friend, God was alone, he created his exact image (Christ, a spirit), He had to be alone at one time, his image came as the first creation, he copied himself. Colossians say the firstborn of all creatures, that is a creation. It also says that the father was pleased that it had his fullness. Why would he tell us that?

Now think about Genesis, who are the we/us in Gen 1? I think God and his IMAGE. (Christ)

Ponder on that and see if you see why I think the way I do.

Peace

Last edited:

Episkopos

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

God's image is that of perfection which was how he created the first man until sin came in to bring corruption. Christ however did no sin thus, he remained the express image of the creator, a perfect example of what we are supposed to be. That is why He is our guiding light to God the father.

keypurr

Again friend let me point you to Luke 2;11

Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Remember that when this was written this is past tense. But it wuld not matter for Jesus being the Christ was foretold.

Act 10:38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

BR, this proves that he got his power at his Baptism. That is when Jesus was united with the Christ, in my thoughts anyway.

keypurr

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

God's image is that of perfection which was how he created the first man until sin came in to bring corruption. Christ however did no sin thus, he remained the express image of the creator, a perfect example of what we are supposed to be. That is why He is our guiding light to God the father.

God created mankind in his image, but not express image. Fact is, God is not a man, God is spirit. But man has some of the thinking qualities of God. He is above the rest of creation.

But the express image of God is a spirit that is a created God. This was God's first creation or firstborn. God used this spirit (Christ) to create the world and everything else. Only Jesus, God's flesh son, was sinless and could hold this God like spirit.

I suggest you study the verses in the OP and see what you come up with. Jesus was a form of God, this theory fits quite well with scripture. I'm open for other suggestions as to what the verses are saying.

I forgot to say welcome to TOL.

Peace

RevTestament

Hey, Keypurr, thought I'd drop by and visit your thread.

This Spirit is GOD!
Um... actually the Bible does not say this. This is a trinitarian type misconception. The Bible says that in the beginning the earth was without form, and that there were "waters" that the Lord apparently used to form the earth. Genesis 1:2. If trinitarians get such a simple thing wrong, what else do they get wrong?

Bradley D

"...the express image of his person...(Hebrews 1:3).

In this case the writer of Hebrews is expressing Jesus' substantial quality and nature of God. Of God's spirit, but also of His character. When I see Jesus through the gospel I am seeing God. When Jesus speaks to me through His gospel it is actually God speaking to me. "Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things" (Hebrews 1:2).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Isaiah 44:24

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, And He who formed you from the womb: “I am the Lord, who makes all things, Who stretches out the heavens all alone, Who spreads abroad the earth by Myself;

Sucks to be you, keypurr.

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
God is a Spirit, therefore invisible, Christ is the visible Person of God.....that is the precise meaning of the term "express image of God"

keypurr

"...the express image of his person...(Hebrews 1:3).

In this case the writer of Hebrews is expressing Jesus' substantial quality and nature of God. Of God's spirit, but also of His character. When I see Jesus through the gospel I am seeing God. When Jesus speaks to me through His gospel it is actually God speaking to me. "Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things" (Hebrews 1:2).

Yes friend, God created a godlike creature, Christ, a spirit like himself. If he put this spirit in a man, man then could see what the Father is like. That is exactly as I see him doing. God spoke through his son to us.

This image needs more attention to see it more clearly. It is Christ, the express image of the Father. The father has a spiritual son who he put into his flesh son, Jesus the Christ of God.

Peace

keypurr

Isaiah 44:24

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, And He who formed you from the womb: “I am the Lord, who makes all things, Who stretches out the heavens all alone, Who spreads abroad the earth by Myself;

Sucks to be you, keypurr.

Nick, I know my theory is not popular, but I am not here to be popular. In the verse above, who is talking, the father or Christ?
All things from God come through Christ.

Use your wisdom to explain the verses in the OP so that I may understand them better. Surely you must have an opinion on them. I think your not a clanging symbol, you seem to think for yourself. Give me so help to see what this says.

Oh by the way, I am very happy to be me.

Peace

keypurr

God is a Spirit, therefore invisible, Christ is the visible Person of God.....that is the precise meaning of the term "express image of God"

True, but it goes deeper Totton. God created everything with this spirit. It was with him before the world was. This is the spirit that Jesus received at his baptism. That is when he got his powers. (Acts 10:38) So God did make an imageof himself, a form of God, a creation. The OP verses open up a lot to ponder over.

Peace