God's Truth

-the gospel is good news
-because of what Jesus did for us
-we might be saved
-the key word is might
-before Jesus did what He did
-we could not be saved
-period

Catholics do not know if they are saved and they aren't.

Being saved is knowing you are saved.

God's Truth

2 Corinthians 13:6 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a lot of posts and threads that use terms like "the Gospel" or "Paul's Gospel" or "the Gospel of Jesus." I understand and appreciate this overarching shorthand usage. But what is the sine qua non of these terms? What is/are the essential beliefs contained in the Gospel?

And are there beliefs that can nullify belief in the Gospel?

Good news (gospel) of the Kingdom

Jeremiah 31

31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Ezekiel 37

11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ 12 Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.

21 “Then say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Surely I will take the children of Israel from among the nations, wherever they have gone, and will gather them from every side and bring them into their own land; 22 and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king over them all; they shall no longer be two nations, nor shall they ever be divided into two kingdoms again. 23 They shall not defile themselves anymore with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions; but I will deliver them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them. Then they shall be My people, and I will be their God.

24 “David My servant shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd; they shall also walk in My judgments and observe My statutes, and do them. 25 Then they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Jacob My servant, where your fathers dwelt; and they shall dwell there, they, their children, and their children’s children, forever; and My servant David shall be their prince forever. 26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 28 The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”’”

God's Truth

There is a lot of posts and threads that use terms like "the Gospel" or "Paul's Gospel" or "the Gospel of Jesus." I understand and appreciate this overarching shorthand usage. But what is the sine qua non of these terms? What is/are the essential beliefs contained in the Gospel?

Believing and obeying God is what saves.

Anyone who teaches against that is teaching against God.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Which gospel?

Again, which gospel?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Again, which gospel?

There is only one gospel. It is the gospel Jesus was sent to offer to the Jews based on their repentance.

Paul preached that same gospel. If he hadn't Jesus would have fired him and found someone else to preach his gospel.

Paul was simply a servant of Jesus Christ and did what he was told to do.

heir

TOL Subscriber
There is only one gospel. It is the gospel Jesus was sent to offer to the Jews based on their repentance.

Paul preached that same gospel. If he hadn't Jesus would have fired him and found someone else to preach his gospel.

Paul was simply a servant of Jesus Christ and did what he was told to do.

There are several in the Bible, jamie.

Ben Masada

Which gospel was Jesus sent to preach? Which gospel did Jesus send Paul to preach?

Jesus was sent to preach the gospel of the Word of God in the Tanach. Jesus never sent Paul to preach any gospel at all. Please, quote the reference to me and I am ready to believe it. Mind you it must denote Jesus sending Paul to preach his gospel and not Paul claiming that Jesus did the sending. Can you find something like that in the gospel of Paul aka the NT? I am not sure you can.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was sent to preach the gospel of the Word of God in the Tanach. Jesus never sent Paul to preach any gospel at all. Please, quote the reference to me and I am ready to believe it. Mind you it must denote Jesus sending Paul to preach his gospel and not Paul claiming that Jesus did the sending. Can you find something like that in the gospel of Paul aka the NT? I am not sure you can.

But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Be of good cheer, Paul, for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome.” (Acts 23:11)​

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame