What is "Faith alone ?"

Lon

Right , so if you haven't yet accepted what is defined by the Greek writers use of the word "pisteuo" , the Spirit of Christ , Christ , and His Word can't be yours yet.
Well, realize here that pisteuo, is 'faith' in the work of Christ. The 'work' is to create a new creation. (k'tisis). The Lord Jesus Christ told the woman at the well, that if she knew who He was, she would ask Him for Living Water. Similarly we cannot get a New Nature (ktisis) but must receive it. Ephesians 2:10
Lon , i like the direction your going , but can you take each one of my four points in the Op , and tell me if you agree with them or not?

Here are some facts and then maybe someone can show me where i'm not understanding correctly.
To me "Faith alone" , makes no sense , and this is why.
Luke 7:50 In this story, 'her faith' saved her, alone. Hebrews 11 is the faith chapter, where faith alone, is the reason is what is found in the Lord Jesus Christ Hebrews 11:39,40; 12:2
I would define Faith as "God enabled (because we have to have something to put faith in) Trust." Hebrews 11:1,6

1) Faith is pistis in the Greek and is the noun.
2) The corresponding verb to that noun in the Greek is pisteuo.
I have Faith (trust) in God (noun that is describing the verb state). I trust (faith) the work of Christ to save me. In Ephesians 2:8,9 even that faith is given by God 'because' He did something first for me to put 'faith' in. IOW, Jesus Saves, I trust in Him. That is why faith alone saves: It is trusting wholly in Him for our Salvation. Hebrews 10:12 His work is a complete work.

3) Pisteuo is an action word something we do ,as is the definition of a verb.
Sort of. It is our trust, I agree, but even that is given because we have to have something to 'trust' in. Because the Lord Jesus Christ's work of salvation is a completed work, we trust in something that is complete. Continuing the thought: If it is a completed work, there is nothing you or I can add to it. Ephesians 2:8,9, & 10 tells us that faith alone saves, but that it is really Him that saves, we just put our trust/faith in that work. Because you nor I can do a thing to what He has accomplished, faith is all that exists for us.
4) pisteuo in the Vines is defined as "A personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender."
Different theologians on TOL (MAD, Calvinist, Arminian, Catholic, Orthodox) will make commentary on this differently. Because of that, my answer here is going to be a bit long, and a bit on and off your concern, simply because everybody will answer this differently so I want to give 1) something that isn't just from my perspective as well as 2) then giving you my understanding such that it hopefully covers some needed bases for the answer. My answer may not suffice for this particular, so hopefully I point you to others that you can get more feedback concerning it in thread.

For me, I think scripture is the best way to do so, because it cuts through dialogue. Most theologians embrace faith alone. Some of us are monergists: We do nothing to become saved, and even our faith is given to us else we couldn't do it. Others, synergists, believe that 'we' must exercise faith on our own part. However, for me, even the synergist is a necessary monergist: 1 Corinthians 4:7 It has to do with Freewill discussion. We as people, have a sense of independence and 'self' as distinct. Most of us if not all of us have come to value our individuality. In it, there is a sense of desire to love and be loved. For me, the desire to 'love' usurps the need to 'be loved.' Job said, "even if God slay me, yet will I serve and praise Him." In a nutshell, I don't believe in synergism but I think it important that you see both sides and realize who you are talking to for this portion of your concern. We all will answer it differently. For me, all roads lead back to everything coming from God, and no independence. Colossians 1:16-18 and John 15:5 have me set that everything has to come from God. Faith and salvation included.

So are the "Faith alone" people saying that all we need to do is continually surrender ourselves to Christ in mind and deed ? Because that would make perfect sense to me.
Yes, in a way. It is an existence of surrender, I agree. It isn't an 'effort' so much as a placement. Trust means He has the driver's wheel and we are with Him. Romans 6:4

Lon

Then we are not in the same path.

You guys are spreading false gospel.

Jesus never said faith alone saves.

It is Paul's teaching.

It is obvious your Lord is not Jesus, it is Paul.

You are mixing salvation with sanctification. She is simply disagreeing with you about which part saves, and which part is a result of being a new creation. She is saying that you can do nothing to be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. If "HIS" work is incomplete, you cannot add to it, nor can I and we are still in our sins. Hebrews 11:39,40; 12:2 Perhaps look ▲at my post to Faither▲ above. -Lon

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You are mixing salvation with sanctification. She is simply disagreeing with you about which part saves, and which part is a result of being a new creation. She is saying that you can do nothing to be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. If "HIS" work is incomplete, you cannot add to it, nor can I and we are still in our sins. Hebrews 11:39,40; 12:2
You are mixing salvation with sanctification. She is simply disagreeing with you about which part saves, and which part is a result of being a new creation. She is saying that you can do nothing to be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. If "HIS" work is incomplete, you cannot add to it, nor can I and we are still in our sins. Hebrews 11:39,40; 12:2 Perhaps look ▲at my post to Faither▲ above. -Lon

I know what she is saying.

I don't agree with what Calvists have to say in over all.

It seems clear to me that their Lord is not Jesus, but Paul or Calvin.

Faither

BANNED
Banned

4) pisteuo in the Vines is defined as "A personal surrender to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender."

This is copied word for word out of the Greek dictionary. Are you rejecting this definition ?

meshak

BANNED
Banned

This is copied word for word out of the Greek dictionary. Are you rejecting this definition ?

I am sorry but I will not contributing to make simple faith in Christ complicated.

good day and blessings.

Lon

:nono: That is missing the forest for the individual trees one happens to believe or be aligned to.
Hebrews 11:1 gives the definition of faith.

See Romans 11:5,6 Galatians 2:19-21; 3:15-25
The Lord Jesus Christ did not teach anything against Paul, and Paul did not preach against the Lord Jesus Christ's words.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
:nono: That is missing the forest for the individual trees one happens to believe or be aligned to.
Hebrews 11:1 gives the definition of faith.

See Romans 11:5,6 Galatians 2:19-21; 3:15-25
The Lord Jesus Christ did not teach anything against Paul, and Paul did not preach against the Lord Jesus Christ's words.

there you go quoting Paul's word.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Well, realize here that pisteuo, is 'faith' in the work of Christ. The 'work' is to create a new creation. (k'tisis). The Lord Jesus Christ told the woman at the well, that if she knew who He was, she would ask Him for Living Water. Similarly we cannot get a New Nature (ktisis) but must receive it. Ephesians 2:10

Luke 7:50 In this story, 'her faith' saved her, alone. Hebrews 11 is the faith chapter, where faith alone, is the reason is what is found in the Lord Jesus Christ Hebrews 11:39,40; 12:2
I would define Faith as "God enabled (because we have to have something to put faith in) Trust." Hebrews 11:1,6

I have Faith (trust) in God (noun that is describing the verb state). I trust (faith) the work of Christ to save me. In Ephesians 2:8,9 even that faith is given by God 'because' He did something first for me to put 'faith' in. IOW, Jesus Saves, I trust in Him. That is why faith alone saves: It is trusting wholly in Him for our Salvation. Hebrews 10:12 His work is a complete work.

Sort of. It is our trust, I agree, but even that is given because we have to have something to 'trust' in. Because the Lord Jesus Christ's work of salvation is a completed work, we trust in something that is complete. Continuing the thought: If it is a completed work, there is nothing you or I can add to it. Ephesians 2:8,9, & 10 tells us that faith alone saves, but that it is really Him that saves, we just put our trust/faith in that work. Because you nor I can do a thing to what He has accomplished, faith is all that exists for us.

Different theologians on TOL (MAD, Calvinist, Arminian, Catholic, Orthodox) will make commentary on this differently. Because of that, my answer here is going to be a bit long, and a bit on and off your concern, simply because everybody will answer this differently so I want to give 1) something that isn't just from my perspective as well as 2) then giving you my understanding such that it hopefully covers some needed bases for the answer. My answer may not suffice for this particular, so hopefully I point you to others that you can get more feedback concerning it in thread.

For me, I think scripture is the best way to do so, because it cuts through dialogue. Most theologians embrace faith alone. Some of us are monergists: We do nothing to become saved, and even our faith is given to us else we couldn't do it. Others, synergists, believe that 'we' must exercise faith on our own part. However, for me, even the synergist is a necessary monergist: 1 Corinthians 4:7 It has to do with Freewill discussion. We as people, have a sense of independence and 'self' as distinct. Most of us if not all of us have come to value our individuality. In it, there is a sense of desire to love and be loved. For me, the desire to 'love' usurps the need to 'be loved.' Job said, "even if God slay me, yet will I serve and praise Him." In a nutshell, I don't believe in synergism but I think it important that you see both sides and realize who you are talking to for this portion of your concern. We all will answer it differently. For me, all roads lead back to everything coming from God, and no independence. Colossians 1:16-18 and John 15:5 have me set that everything has to come from God. Faith and salvation included.

Yes, in a way. It is an existence of surrender, I agree. It isn't an 'effort' so much as a placement. Trust means He has the driver's wheel and we are with Him. Romans 6:4

Lon

Not at all. Are you making 'Faith' a work? Vines isn't intending to do that, but is rather saying faith is 'identity.' An exchanged life means something old is gone, something new has taken its place. The whole need for the saving work of the Lord Jesus Christ is against the notion that 'we can do it.' Judaism was given to prove we cannot. They had many thousands of years to prove works was possible and they completely failed. That is why Meshak isn't really trusting in or listening to the Lord Jesus Christ. He constantly told the Pharisees and His disciples that they had to be born again. That He was going to die SO they could be born again.

Lon

there you go quoting Paul's word.

Luke 7:50 John 3:6-8,18 John 8:12,31,32, 34-36 Paul gave the Lord Jesus Christ's words. You might as well cut Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John from your bible too. At least you recognize you have to cut the Apostle Paul from your Bible. Even JW's don't do that. It is just you. -Lon

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Not at all. Are you making 'Faith' a work? Vines isn't intending to do that, but is rather saying faith is 'identity.' An exchanged life means something old is gone, something new has taken its place. The whole need for the saving work of the Lord Jesus Christ is against the notion that 'we can do it.' Judaism was given to prove we cannot. They had many thousands of years to prove works was possible and they completely failed. That is why Meshak isn't really trusting in or listening to the Lord Jesus Christ. He constantly told the Pharisees and His disciples that they had to be born again. That He was going to die SO they could be born again.

Your dancing around pisteuo hoping not to get pressed into making a stand.

Do you agree that "pisteuo" is something "we do", and is "A personal surrendering of our lives to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender. "

Don't say you agree with it and change its means to suit your understanding.

"Identity" would be a noun , pisteuo is a verb , and act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense.

Doesn't have a thing to do with obedient work to achieve Salvation . Its a response to that Grace provided for our Salvation.

Lon

:nono:

Do you agree that "pisteuo" is something "we do", and is "A personal surrendering of our lives to Him , and a life inspired by such surrender. "
Yes, I surrender to trying to be godly on my own, for trying to follow Judaism well beyond my ability and 'yes' by faith I surrender to His work and Salvation because I have no righteousness on my own. Philippians 3:9

Don't say you agree with it and change its means to suit your understanding.
Will leave this up to clarifying remarks in the future.

"Identity" would be a noun , pisteuo is a verb , and act , based upon a belief , sustained by confidense.

Doesn't have a thing to do with obedient work to achieve Salvation . Its a response to that Grace provided for our Salvation.

A 're-' sponse means it is prompted and from God. Ephesians 2:9 "And this not of yourselves" Why? "So NO ONE may boast." NO ONE. It is a boast isn't it? Look ▲ It has to be▲ the way you are describing it. You are saying it as 'what I did, what you must do.' That indeed, is a boast. Don't you see it?

Last edited:

Faither

BANNED
Banned
:nono: I'm certain, rather, that you don't know what it means and are simply postulating and prognosticating what it must mean because you 'think' that's what it means. Sorry to be blunt, but you just crossed a line with your 'pronouncement' Mr. "I'm Godly!"

Yes, but it means something very different than you are trying to make it. Listen for a moment so at least you understand what "I" mean by it: Yes, I surrender to trying to be godly on my own, for trying to follow Judaism well beyond my ability and 'yes' by faith I surrender to His work and Salvation because I have no righteousness on my own. Philippians 3:9

Your name is Faither. Don't use it unless you mean it. Imho? By your definition, you no longer mean 'faith' but "faith+"

Don't you?

A 're-' sponse means it is prompted and from God. Ephesians 2:9 "And this not of yourselves" Why? "So NO ONE may boast." NO ONE. It is a boast isn't it? Look ▲ It has to be▲ the way you are describing it. You are saying it as 'what I did, what you must do.' That indeed, is a boast. Don't you see it?

I only read one line Lon , and had to reply. You said : "Yes, I surrender to trying to be godly on my own ."

Thats not pisteuo ! Pisteuo is "A personal surrender to "HIM". The object of Faith can't be us , it can't be Gods word , it has to be Him , Jesus , a real living person.

Lon

I only read one line Lon , and had to reply. You said : "Yes, I surrender to trying to be godly on my own ."

Thats not pisteuo ! Pisteuo is "A personal surrender to "HIM". The object of Faith can't be us , it can't be Gods word , it has to be Him , Jesus , a real living person.
Agree 100% :confused: Why then did you say this:
My stance would be your stance wouldn't it? Maybe you didn't mean to be as overtly challenging and I apologize if I have not made my agreement clear. I agree with your statement: "It is Him. It has to be Him." In Him -Lon

I edited some of my previous comment. I think there is a need for further dialogue to make things clear. Trusting in Him AND is Words, AND His work is all the same thing. He did something. He said something. We trust in Him (1) as well as what He said(2) AND did(3).