What is Dispensationalism? (No biased answers)

Seekingtruth21

I don't want to know if it is heretical in your view, I just want to know what the doctrine of dispensationalism is defined by. I know that it's popular in fundamentalist circles. I'll give you my definition of it here:

Basically God initiates salvation with different mediums of grace throughout different time periods. Each time the people refuse to live by or accept the grace of God, to which God then has to come up with a new way of saving people.

Am I right?

OCTOBER23

Here is your UNBIASED Definition

dispensation is when someone dispenses something

=------------------------------=

Theology. the divine ordering of the affairs of the world. an appointment,

arrangement, or favor, as by God.

a divinely appointed order or age:

the old Mosaic, or Jewish, dispensation; the new gospel, or Christian, dispensation.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Dispensationalism is an umbrella term for beliefs ultimately resulting from breaking the Bible down into a collection of periods in which God manifests his will on Earth, usually with 'decoder' passages within to determine the rest.

That's the unbiased answer.

The biased answer is that it is an obnoxiously grand limitation of interpretation :rolleyes:

glorydaz

I don't want to know if it is heretical in your view, I just want to know what the doctrine of dispensationalism is defined by. I know that it's popular in fundamentalist circles. I'll give you my definition of it here:

Basically God initiates salvation with different mediums of grace throughout different time periods. Each time the people refuse to live by or accept the grace of God, to which God then has to come up with a new way of saving people.

Am I right?

UH.....No.

Danoh

A dispensation is that which is dispensed.

What is God dispensing? Grace.

When is He doing this? Now.

Hasn't He dispensed Grace in the past? Yes.

So why the "now"?

Because He is NOW Dispensing His Grace to ALL without distinction.

This Now; what's it called?

The Dispensation of the Grace of God.

It is not a time period. Rather, God will dispense this Grace for so long.

Then He will dispense with that and unleash, or dispense His wrath.

Put that in your dispenser :)

musterion

Am I right?

What do you mean by "no biased answers"?

If you ask dispensationalists, you'll get a biased answer.

If you ask anti-disp's, you'll still get a biased answer.

Your post is nonsensical at best, dishonest AND BIASED at worst. Which is it?

daqq

A dispensation is that which is dispensed.

What is God dispensing? Grace.

When is He doing this? Now.

Hasn't He dispensed Grace in the past? Yes.

So why the "now"?

Because He is NOW Dispensing His Grace to ALL without distinction.

This Now; what's it called?

The Dispensation of the Grace of God.

It is not a time period. Rather, God will dispense this Grace for so long.

Then He will dispense with that and unleash, or dispense His wrath.

Put that in your dispenser :)

Paul is not currently here and present to dispense anything to you anymore. Only his words are left for you to read. He is therefore no different than Yeshua in regards to how his words should be read and understood, that is, the effect and impact of his words should be no different from how you read the words of Messiah, (in fact the Testimony of Yeshua is surely the greater which Paul confesses to be the foundation of all his teachings). If Paul then received a dispensation, which he did, then his specific dispensation ended with him because he is not here and present to dispense anything more to you. You now have your own dispensation: what are you dispensing throughout your land? Have you preached the gospel in all of your land? Every man is the land. Have you preached the gospel to your right eye or is it utterly darkened and needing to be plucked out and cast out from your land? Have you preached the gospel to your right hand or is it needing to be cut off and cast out from your land? Have you preached the gospel to your foot or is it always running swiftly into mischief and needing to be cut off and cast out from your land? Have you mortified your members which are upon your own land as Paul did in his own dispensation? Otherwise why immerse for the dead members of your household? that is to say, having your body washed in the washing of the water in the word while mortifying the deeds of the body? The entire gospel message is personal and individual. No doubt if you do the will of Elohim then the wrath will not overtake you at the close of your dispensation. :chuckle:

glorydaz

Paul is not currently here and present to dispense anything to you anymore. Only his words are left for you to read. He is therefore no different than Yeshua in regards to how his words should be read and understood, that is, the effect and impact of his words should be no different from how you read the words of Messiah, (in fact the Testimony of Yeshua is surely the greater which Paul confesses to be the foundation of all his teachings). If Paul then received a dispensation, which he did, then his specific dispensation ended with him because he is not here and present to dispense anything more to you. You now have your own dispensation: what are you dispensing throughout your land? Have you preached the gospel in all of your land? Every man is the land. Have you preached the gospel to your right eye or is it utterly darkened and needing to be plucked out and cast out from your land? Have you preached the gospel to your right hand or is it needing to be cut off and cast out from your land? Have you preached the gospel to your foot or is it always running swiftly into mischief and needing to be cut off and cast out from your land? Have you mortified your members which are upon your own land as Paul did in his own dispensation? Otherwise why immerse for the dead members of your household? that is to say, having your body washed in the washing of the water in the word while mortifying the deeds of the body? The entire gospel message is personal and individual. No doubt if you do the will of Elohim then the wrath will not overtake you at the close of your dispensation. :chuckle:

Wow....there's sure a lot of talking going on there. But, Paul was speaking what the RISEN LORD revealed to him. It doesn't look to me like you've taken that into consideration.

daqq

pipe down daqq

Why? Considering the portion of my comments which you quoted? Both the author of Hebrews and Paul tell us what is the will of Elohim and it is about cutting off sin from among our own "members" though many times it is explained through the allegories of the body which is the temple:

1Th 4:1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
1Th 4:2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
1Th 4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
1Th 4:5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

One cannot receive the Promise until AFTER having done the will of Elohim.
Why then silence the messenger if indeed you believe the above words? :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Why? Considering the portion of my comments which you quoted? Both the author of Hebrews and Paul tell us what is the will of Elohim and it is about cutting off sin from among our own "members" though many times it is explained through the allegories of the body which is the temple:

1Th 4:1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
1Th 4:2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
1Th 4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
1Th 4:5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

One cannot receive the Promise until AFTER having done the will of Elohim.
Why then silence the messenger if indeed you believe the above words? :)

I'm compliant with those verses, so I'm good. Even though it's not written TO me.

Lon

Am I right?
You are correct. Another way to define it is by comparison:

Covenant theololgy sees God's unfolding plan that progresses through Covenants and points to the Savior. In a nutshell, it sees the 'unity of scripture.'

Dispensational theology sees God as working differently during different time periods, with the specific people He is working with, but does see unity, such as you've pointed out: Grace. However, Dispensationalists tend to focus on differences between the O.T. Covenants as well as the N.T. Some Dispensationalists lean more toward Covenant unity, while others press the difference to say only Paul's letters directly apply to gentiles, and even modern day Jews (because the Jewish system is largely defunct today - no sacrifices).

Hope that helps. I'd been Dispensational in the past, but have become a Covenant Theologian. -Lon

Seekingtruth21

You are correct. Another way to define it is by comparison:

Covenant theololgy sees God's unfolding plan that progresses through Covenants and points to the Savior. In a nutshell, it sees the 'unity of scripture.'

Dispensational theology sees God as working differently during different time periods, with the specific people He is working with, but does see unity, such as you've pointed out: Grace. However, Dispensationalists tend to focus on differences between the O.T. Covenants as well as the N.T. Some Dispensationalists lean more toward Covenant unity, while others press the difference to say only Paul's letters directly apply to gentiles, and even modern day Jews (because the Jewish system is largely defunct today - no sacrifices).

Hope that helps. I'd been Dispensational in the past, but have become a Covenant Theologian. -Lon
Thank you

Reactions: Lon

Danoh

Thanks for the chuckle :)