What is a Christian fundamentalist?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How do you define a Christian fundamentalist?

What do Christian fundamentalists believe? What are the earmarks of a Christian fundamentalist in your opinion?

In other words...
If you had to explain what a Christian fundamentalist is to someone who didn't know, what would you tell them?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It is my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong), that fundamentalism has been crystallized down to five points of common belief. They are as follows...

1. Biblical inerrancy
2. The divinity of Jesus
3. The Virgin Birth
4. Jesus died to redeem humankind
5. An expectation of the Second Coming, or physical return, of Jesus Christ to initiate his thousand-year rule of the Earth.

I've heard also that there is some attachment with "Fundamentalism" and the King James only crowd, although I do not know whether or not it could be said that if you use a different version then you are no longer a fundamentalist, in fact I rather doubt it.

As for me, I hold to all five of the main points of fundamentalism although some qualifications might need articulating...

1. Biblical inerrancy - I do not believe the King James version to be inerrant, in fact I know it is not, however, I do believe that the Bible was directly inspired by God and is inerrant in its original autographs.

2. The divinity of Jesus - No qualification here. Jesus is God. He is THE God who spoke and the universe leapt into existence. He has eternally existed co-equal with The Father and The Holy Spirit, the three of whom make up the Holy Trinity.

3. The Virgin Birth - I believe that JESUS was born of a virgin. I do not believe in the immaculate conception of Mary or anyone else for that matter. Sin is passed from one's father not one's mother; Jesus had no earthly father and thus was born of the virgin Mary sinless and holy.

4. Jesus died to redeem humankind - I would add that a fundamentalist Christian MUST also believe that God raised Him from the dead (Rom. 10:9-10). I also would add the world ALL. Jesus died for the sins of the WHOLE world and thus redemption is available to all who believe.

5. An expectation of the Second Coming, or physical return, of Jesus Christ to initiate his thousand-year rule of the Earth. - This is a clear teaching of the Bible. One might say that if number 5 isn't true that number 1 isn't either.

Resting in Him
Clete

cur_deus_homo

The phrase "Christian fundamentalist" has taken on so many connotations of various meanings it's difficult to answer the question as posed.

What do I think of when I hear that phrase?

Mostly I think of the extremist version of Christianity that emerged in America around the turn of the 20th century in reaction to the "liberal" theology of the 19th century and the "Social Gospel" movement. Fundies emphasive God's wrath and thus the brutal punishment of Jesus to satisfy God's righteous demand to punish sinful disobedience.

On Fire

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

The phrase "Christian fundamentalist" has taken on so many connotations of various meanings it's difficult to answer the question as posed.

What do I think of when I hear that phrase?

Mostly I think of the extremist version of Christianity that emerged in America around the turn of the 20th century in reaction to the "liberal" theology of the 19th century and the "Social Gospel" movement. Fundies emphasive God's wrath and thus the brutal punishment of Jesus to satisfy God's righteous demand to punish sinful disobedience.

Are they right? Do you agree with the facts but disagree with their methods?

On Fire

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

Correct.

What's your point?

I guess that you don't have one. You would rather argue semantics. You're in the right place!

Dry up and blow away.

Duder

Over 750 post club
Fundamentalism is a movement that arose in the early 20th century as a reaction against a metaphorical or mythological understanding of the scriptures. Fundamentalism stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals, but also as a literal, historical record.

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by AtheistsSuck

You would rather argue semantics.
Congratulations! You made somewhat of a point. What's wrong about arguing semantics? If we can't come together and discuss and reason and argue together about the meaning of this thing or that then what the heck are we all doing here on TOL?
Dry up and blow away.
I know that's just your trolling style. Someday you'll grow out of it . . . hopefully.

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by Duder

Fundamentalism is a movement that arose in the early 20th century as a reaction against a metaphorical or mythological understanding of the scriptures. Fundamentalism stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals, but also as a literal, historical record.
And it emphasizes God's wrath. Don't forget about God's wrath or else!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Duder

For example, fundamentalist beleive that the universe and everything in it was created by God in 6, literal 24 hour days and that He rested on the 7th day.

It would be safe to say that if one does not believe this, they are not a Fundamentalist.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Cyrus of Persia

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

It is my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong), that fundamentalism has been crystallized down to five points of common belief. They are as follows...

1. Biblical inerrancy
2. The divinity of Jesus
3. The Virgin Birth
4. Jesus died to redeem humankind
5. An expectation of the Second Coming, or physical return, of Jesus Christ to initiate his thousand-year rule of the Earth.

I tend to disagree with you. It's more how conservative christians believe. What fundys do (as pointed out here already) is to take the Bible and use their own interpretation of it as a pillar of truth on EVERYTHING.

Otherwise i'm fundy too, because i agree with every point listed out, except #1

PureX

I think fundamentalism is more an ego-centric reaction to complexity and intellectualism that it is any particular set of ideological beliefs. It's main characteristic is extreme over-simplification with the intent of gaining, through the illusion of self-righteousness, what one secretly feels they lack in intellectual sophistication. Fundamentalism is the attitude that the "slow kids" adopt so that they can tell themselves (and everyone else) that being slow isn't important. In fact, fundamentalists actually convince themselves that being ignorant is an asset, while being intelligent is an impediment.

Fundamentalisn is basically an obsession with righteousness in order to avoid recognizing and dealing with one's own ignorance.

Bernie22

Yes, Fundamentalism is generally looked down upon today.

I think Clete's list correct, but believe the last (premillenialism) should not be on the list as a fundamental of the faith.

Duder said, "Fundamentalism is a movement that arose in the early 20th century as a reaction against a metaphorical or mythological understanding of the scriptures."

There's truth in this, but I think the stance against metaphorical interepretation was not necessarily as important as what was viewed as the liberal tendency to lose sight of the virgin birth, the resurrection and other core beliefs...interpretive methodology contributed to this overall, but was only a part of the picture I think.

For what it's worth, I am the sole adherent of Rational Esotericism (or Esoteric Fundamentalism), and have elected myself chief spokesman as well. I think fundamental belief and esoteric belief are compatible, which has brought a lot of crap down on me from both the liberal/mystic and conservative/fundamentalist camps.

http://www.liscoplus.com/~esotericfund/two

Fundamentalism, like guns, isn't bad...people are bad. People corrupt truth found in liberal or conservative religion alike. It's what we do.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Cyrus of Persia

I tend to disagree with you. It's more how conservative christians believe. What fundys do (as pointed out here already) is to take the Bible and use their own interpretation of it as a pillar of truth on EVERYTHING.

Everything like what? I know of no Christian, fundamental or not, that says the Bible is the pillar of Mathematics for example or even science in general for that matter. However, a belief in the infallibility of the Scripture would presuppose the idea that the Bible does not contradict reality.
I would agree that many times Christians will ignore clear extra-biblical evidence on some issue in favor of their own interpretation of the Bible. But while our interpretations of the Bible may be in error, I do not believe that the Bible itself could ever be shown to contradict what is actually true.

Otherwise i'm fundy too, because i agree with every point listed out, except #1
Well this is sort of a dumb thing to say isn't it. That's why somebody took the time to draw up a list of basic beliefs that make one a fundamentalist, isn't it?
If you disagree with #1 then you are definitely NOT a fundamentalist. :doh:

Resting in Him,
Clete