What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
2sack120315color.jpg

Methane is the real problem.

[h=1]MINI ICE AGE IS COMING - Global Unrest, Famine, Mass Migration, Increased Vulcanism, Flooding -[/h]

This is nothing more than "patrick jane's" attempts to trivialize the situation and reinforce what is already painfully obvious - that he has nothing intelligent to contribute to the conversation!

gcthomas

first it was global cooling actually Ice Age was the term nobody bought
then it was global warming and nobody bought it

14ad4db0-c51c-4384-ad6a-4534858ff296.png

The phrase 'ice age' had been on a steady increase since the 1870s when a major book was published bringing the idea about historical to scientists worldwide, slowly displacing the assumption that the earth was gradually cooling from a molten state. Of you expand your date axes you should see the trend doors nor remotely support your claim.

genuineoriginal

1413371441781_wps_4_A_massive_and_spectacular.jpg

I'm sure the millions of residents on the East Coast, currently experiencing this mega hurricane that extends from Spain to the Atlantic Seaboard, are comforted by this President's efforts to defund the Environmental Protection Agency - forcing out every self-respecting climate scientist who disagrees with the White House's stated position that their is no such thing as climate change!

There is an agency that is being funded to protect hurricanes?
Such an agency should be defunded.

Interplanner

That's showing weather for one week, for one continent. That's not a view of climate.

gct: I know some links don't always get you to what you thought you had linked. You should be looking at a 10 year temp anomaly map of N. America (Arctic circle to equator). Red readings are hotter; white are stable; blue are colder. The blues outnumber the reds 2:1, but there are regions: the SW US is quite red. This week's phenomenon is showing a reinforcement of this map in its southerly reach, and avoidance of the West Coast: Juneau has no snow yet, nor does any West coastal area south to the equator.

This should point us to the question of submarine volcanism warming the Pacific.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian chuckles:
Hard to believe anyone still falls for that "scientists thought we were going to have global cooling" story.

(newspaper story from somewhere)

Nice try. Like that photoshopped TIME story they faked.

On the other hand, real scientists, even then were thinking warming was on the way...

On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry about global warming

Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. But I would [...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible, it is transparent, you can’t smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people tend to believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-warned-the-oil-industry-about-global-warming

Journal of the American Meteorological Society
The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus
Thomas C. PetersonNOAA/National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, North Carolina
William M. ConnolleyBritish Antarctic Survey, National Environment Research Council, Cambridge, United Kingdom
John FleckAlbuquerque Journal, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Climate science as we know it today did not exist in the 1960s and 1970s. The integrated enterprise embodied in the Nobel Prizewinning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change existed then as separate threads of research pursued by isolated groups of scientists. Atmospheric chemists and modelers grappled with the measurement of changes in carbon dioxide and atmospheric gases, and the changes in climate that might result. Meanwhile, geologists and paleoclimate researchers tried to understand when Earth slipped into and out of ice ages, and why. An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see someone beat me to it. Even deniers now admit that it's changing. Now, most of them just say that it's not our fault.
:darwinsm:

The climate is changing.
It is the fault of mankind.
The results have been and will be catastrophic.

The argument is over how and why the climate is changing and the demand of liberals that we sacrifice liberty over something we can do nothing to fix.

:mock: Blablabarian.

Always gets everything wrong. :chuckle:

gcthomas

gct: I know some links don't always get you to what you thought you had linked. You should be looking at a 10 year temp anomaly map of N. America (Arctic circle to equator). Red readings are hotter; white are stable; blue are colder. The blues outnumber the reds 2:1, but there are regions: the SW US is quite red. This week's phenomenon is showing a reinforcement of this map in its southerly reach, and avoidance of the West Coast: Juneau has no snow yet, nor any does coastal area south to the equator.

This should point us to the question of submarine volcanism warming the Pacific.

The map shows the temperatures for one week with the temperatures for one week a decade ago. That shows that temperatures fluctuate on the scale of weeks. What wotld have been better is the average over the last five years compared to the five year average from twenty years ago.

Climate change is a longer time scale than a week.

Interplanner

From the FOX page:
The heat maps are land surface tempeatures taken from Dec. 26, 2017-Jan. 2, 2018 and are compared to the eight-day average from 2001 to 2010.

Are there little elves that go out and magically change the temperature colder that week? is that why you are saying FOX picked that week?

My local power company tells us the ave. temp. of the same month a year ago in each monthly statement. In our area near Seattle last spring, every reading was 4-6 colder all spring. Yes, this Dec. was 2 higher.

The map is not manipulating anything, not when you are talking about the whole northern hemisphere of the Americas.

But here is manipulation: the same day that the forecasts warned of these weeks, USA TODAY made sure to remind us that 2017 was hotter. So they listed 380 US cities with hotter temperatures than the 345 that were colder. But it is an unreliable figure, because as you can see from the number of sites reporting on the hemisphere map, 380 cities is nothing. You could easily list that many warmer ones and manipulate the whole statement, and no one would notice.

btw, I have no idea what your list is saying--the one with the 10 years and temperatures beside them.

Interplanner

:darwinsm:

The climate is changing.

The argument is over how and why the climate is changing and the demand of liberals that we sacrifice liberty over something we can do nothing to fix.

:mock: Blablabarian.

Always gets everything wrong. :chuckle:

A month ago, a climate change warrior here was asked: where is the crisis? The greatest impact of weather in recent history was several thousand deaths in France about 12 years ago. But the crisis is supposed to be coastal flooding. The France incident was understood to be as peculiar as was the London Fog of 1950 or so. They were things that could happen if about 10 factors aligned. In England, one of them was the way coal was burnt, which is now a thing of the past.

Interplanner

Barbarian chuckles:
Hard to believe anyone still falls for that "scientists thought we were going to have global cooling" story.

(newspaper story from somewhere)

Nice try. Like that photoshopped TIME story they faked.

On the other hand, real scientists, even then were thinking warming was on the way...

On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry about global warming

Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. But I would [...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible, it is transparent, you can’t smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people tend to believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-warned-the-oil-industry-about-global-warming

Journal of the American Meteorological Society
The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus
Thomas C. PetersonNOAA/National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, North Carolina
William M. ConnolleyBritish Antarctic Survey, National Environment Research Council, Cambridge, United Kingdom
John FleckAlbuquerque Journal, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Climate science as we know it today did not exist in the 1960s and 1970s. The integrated enterprise embodied in the Nobel Prizewinning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change existed then as separate threads of research pursued by isolated groups of scientists. Atmospheric chemists and modelers grappled with the measurement of changes in carbon dioxide and atmospheric gases, and the changes in climate that might result. Meanwhile, geologists and paleoclimate researchers tried to understand when Earth slipped into and out of ice ages, and why. An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

Sorry, but everything I heard from Ehrlich and the Club of Rome back then was about cooling.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Sorry, but everything I heard from Ehrlich and the Club of Rome back then was about cooling.

Nope. You should be looking in scientific journals, not listening to economists and writers of popular literature.

As you see, even a half-century ago, scientists were becoming concerned about warming. Edward Teller's warning was only the first of many.

The report I posted, didn't include newspaper reporters, economists, and the like. Because there was a short cold spell in the 70s, a lot of uneducated people concluded that it was going to get a lot colder. But climate scientists, even then, knew better.

Here's one denier site, with a list of the "journals" predicting global cooling. Running down the list, I found that there wasn't one scientific journal article therein.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/01/global-cooling-compilation/

I have no doubt that someday, future deniers will cite FOX, faked magazine covers, and Donald Trump as "proof" that scientists in the early 2000s doubted global warming.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Stipe blathers:
The climate is changing.

You need to separate the fact of anthropogenic climate change, from your notion of what we might do about it.

The denier argument always comes down to "we don't want to do what we think it would take to fix the problem, so the problem can't exist."

(Why does Stipe always post laughing smilies when he's angry?)