What does 'Thou shalt not commit adultery' mean?

Ben Masada

This definition is not covered under your original:

Literally, it means to be legally married and, either partner breaks the contract by lying sexually with a third one

Would help if you would clarify please.

I already had to come out of the original to explain to you that to commit adultery is not the same as polygamy. My point in the original was to define adultery from the literal and metaphorical sense of the term. On the one hand, literal disloyalty to one's partner and on the other hand, metaphorical disloyalty to HaShem.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I already had to come out of the original to explain to you that to commit adultery is not the same as polygamy. My point in the original was to define adultery from the literal and metaphorical sense of the term. On the one hand, literal disloyalty to one's partner and on the other hand, metaphorical disloyalty to HaShem.

It is Notable that post 49 quotes Mosaic Law that seems anti polygamy.

From all other angles, the union of marriage seems to be reduced to a simple property right from the fall to the conclusion of the pre Christian additions in the original books.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not really following you. Jacob had four wives I believe.

Whether they were inherited or not - if polygamy was permitted then 'adultery' starts to lose meaning doesn't it?

No, God doesnt strike us all dead the moment we sin does He. He allows us to suffer consequences in this life for our sin choices and if you actually read the entire bible, it would be abundantly clear to you.

David suffered for his choice, solomon did as well, as did all those who went outside Gods plan.

God allowing something and God endowing something are 2 totally different things. So do with this little bit of wisdom what you will, either keep trying to assault Gods character for a sin choice of your own making, or heed what He said.

Do not multiply wives to yourself. Thats what He said. Men often ignore what He said for what they want.

Sonnet

Romans 7 explicitly forbids polygamy.

v.3
So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

Sonnet

No, God doesnt strike us all dead the moment we sin does He. He allows us to suffer consequences in this life for our sin choices and if you actually read the entire bible, it would be abundantly clear to you.

David suffered for his choice, solomon did as well, as did all those who went outside Gods plan.

God allowing something and God endowing something are 2 totally different things. So do with this little bit of wisdom what you will, either keep trying to assault Gods character for a sin choice of your own making, or heed what He said.

Do not multiply wives to yourself. Thats what He said. Men often ignore what He said for what they want.

Not sure why you are suggesting I am assaulting God.

I understand your reasoning, so the question becomes why would God immediately punish sin A and seemingly ignore sin B? Why include such a verse as 2 Sam 12:8:

I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

This verse would be a good reason to question the congruity of scripture.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Does this now bring the discussion to a pre Christ focus?
I think so.

Excellent, this narrows the discussion and will allow it to take a hyper focus!

Or (1) is it a focus on the Patriarchal polygamy, (2) biblical misogynistic overtones, (3) or the fact that much of Christian society has difficulty reconciling the law with the fact that divorce can be a necessary part of life?
Would you explain this a little please?

(1) It is clear that only women were expressed as property (in the sense of marriage). Men were property as well, but this was as a slave. This means that woman were little better than slaves from the dogmatic, law quoting individual's perspective. The rectification of the existing polygamy in scripture from an individual that has a fire breathing, law based picture of God is terribly difficult. It brings up contradiction and error that decimates the continuity of scripture.

After all, it is either "God Breathed" and perfect, or simply another Theo-Philosophical collection of writings that is no different than any other of its kind.

The Patriarchal Polygamy that is so frequently present can be given many frames and justifications, but personally, I've never been in a relationship where I was like... So, Baby, have I got a deal for you! I'm going to bring several women into the household, arrange a stringent date night schedule, and I'll be rotating who I sleep with on a nightly basis... This relational approach seems a little void of the recognition that sexual union with an individual brings intimacy that removes the desire to 'share" a person's core affections.

Hence, though people seem to be terrified of your fantastic inquiry, it addresses some important scriptural issues that need to be addressed.

The very crowd that spouts the Law and says you can't "pick and choose" what scripture is saying, seem to be unknowingly picking and choosing what scripture is saying. They appear to lean on their own understanding and believe that humanity can be good by the law. (I'll quote a verse on this matter by the end of this book.)

(2) It is frequently observed that women were treated as property in the Old Testament, and many of Paul's statements appear to propagate these ideas.

It is such a prominent occurrence that misquotation of scripture could be used when a woman is discussing scripture. A woman who is disputing with a man over biblical discussion and taking a stance based on behavioral morality, backed by the Law of the books of Moses, could be easily dismissed with many of these scriptures as disobeying Paul's words that women should be silent.

I do not agree with this stance, but it is a secret humor that I think of every time I am confronted by a female that is eager to quote scriptural rules and back them with a self proclaimed desire to follow every one of them, while demanding that everyone else should too, or feel the wrath of the Living God!

... The fact of the matter is that there is much in scripture that seems to make woman less than a man. There are some excellent scriptures that negate the thrust of the misogynistic scriptures, but that brings up the point that something must be contradictory, or someone is misinterpreting something, or even more likely, the big picture is being traded in for a narrow focus on a tiny paint stroke of the picture.

(3) The law and divorce... Well, many church bodies (congregations or buildings with leaders), shun divorce as an un-scriptural solution. Jesus is cited, and women or men in horrible marriages are encouraged to "work it out". Many times, children suffer from this obtuse use of scripture.

Divorce sucks!!! But, sometimes, in life, we make decisions that turn out to be void of positive things. Sometimes, we suffer because we yoke to an individual that brings about constant pain in both of our lives. The merciful thing to do is to decide if things can be salvaged, or if the big-Div reset button needs to be pressed.

The following logic is if God genuinely wants us to be in miserable relationships and will turn us away from eternal life, because we will probably go on to find a more suitable partner, while in violation of Jesus's words about divorce and re-marriage.

You are correct in your understanding about marriage. Biblically, when a person has sex with another person, they are married before God... One Flesh...

I don't think people like to discuss this, because virginity before marriage is and has been for many years, a rare thing. But, for the people that are each other's firsts, I know many of those that met with marital ruin.

Relationships are not cut and dry, and failure occurs. Its like ripping two people in half, but sometimes, divorce is the only answer.

Unless people want to invoke stoning to allow one party to go on with the blessing of biblical, moral bragging rights, divorce has to be recognized as a result of imperfection!

Much of the "church" does not grasp this simple truth! It marginalizes single mothers and divorcing spouses. But just to bring a point home, I have had much "church" exposure at a leadership, observatory level, and to be truthful, the very people that quote the laws like a born Jew, are many times guilty of inter-church adultery on the genuine horizontal mamba level. In-fact, the very people that quote law and bring shame to people who are failing in some aspect of their life, tended to be the ones that had the darkest secrets that make a person go... "I wish I never knew that! Please let my mind forget what I have just learned about brother or sister law quoting so and so."

Now to be more specific, many elderly people who have tapered off on their nether region burning, beat people over the head with morality and what the rules in scripture say, but again, they tend to bull doze over their past, and act as if their newly found use of their brain (instead of thinking with other body parts), is because of their spiritual journey and nothing to do with their natural drop of testosterone or estrogen.

My point is that real life, in "nakedness" before God, is messy, imperfect and full of mistakes that force us to plee for mercy, instead of claim Law perfection, and master defender of God through holy living statues.

(I hope the soap box talk, mixed with the clearer expression of what I had said in nondescript verbiage, clarifies this.)

The Law of Moses has no mercy for realistic dealings with life. If it were followed to the letter, people would get stoned and women would be mere property. Slavery would be a natural part of life and society would crumble into barbarism that is best observed in middle eastern culture.

Indeed - as Paul said - that nobody would be justified through the law.

Indeed. Infact... Matthew 7:11 "Therefore, if you, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in the heavens give good things to those asking Him!" ... Coupled with Mark 2:17 "On hearing this, Jesus told them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."" ... Speak volumes on this matter, but in jest towards many who ignore the carpenter, (not you Sonnet)... I will say; "Ehhhhh... But who cares what that Jesus guy has to say anyway! He's just the presence of the Author of time and existence, along with the thrust behind every word of scripture. I'll worship scripture and find salvation in rules, while telling everybody else how to be as good as me. That Jesus guy was just more of the same old testament rule giving, and that cross thing didn't do much for anyone, except the Holy by Moses and doctrine infused."

Perhaps I could be evil and ask for your reasonable social opinion on a matter.

Do you believe humanity functions better in polyamory or monogamy?

Monogamy.

I agree. To be blunt, my deepest emotional, sexual and relational fulfillment comes from monogamy of the heart and body to one that feels the same about me.

Perfection does not exist on this side of the veil, but the truth is that romance is trampled the second infidelity comes into the picture. I have known people to come back from such things, but in my experience, it indeed cheapens the experience and brings sorrow and insincerity.

One other gem of a question, did God ever personally smite an individual for the specific act of Adultery?

I don't believe so.

Indeed! He never smited over adultery, and infact, an example is given where He had the opportunity. I laugh and laugh when the Law is given as the reason. Considering that the Mercy, not sacrifice verbiage is continuitive throughout the old and new testament, and the book of Hebrews and Galatians say volumes on the matter. It is interesting that people want to convey a God of their design that has no mercy, no understanding of the humanity He created, and above all, a God that is poised to smite anyone who disagrees with the majorities understanding of Him that agrees with their particular brand of Dogma.

It is interesting that He did smite people. To ignore what He did smite for and then assume what He "should" smite for is a little bit dangerous. I would go so far as to say that God's words in scripture, along with His actions, paint an entirely different picture of Him than many claim. If Calvary is observed and the kind of people that persecuted Jesus's ministry... well, oh man! The picture becomes way different than many would have many believe!

It may yet be the case that polygamy was a least worse, solicitous response to a female population imbalance.

This is an interesting point to ponder. I'm putting on my pondering cap.

............... One last thing... Thank you, Sonnet, for asking questions that cause thought, and force discussion. Thank you for not giving up on the pursuit of understanding. It is always refreshing.

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

I completely agree with the metaphorical sense you have cited.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not sure why you are suggesting I am assaulting God.

I understand your reasoning, so the question becomes why would God immediately punish sin A and seemingly ignore sin B? Why include such a verse as 2 Sam 12:8:

I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

This verse would be a good reason to question the congruity of scripture.

No it isnt, God is merely saying that if David would have obeyed God and followed Gods laws, He would have blessed him even more. Ive already shown clearly it wasn't more wives God promised, just more blessing period. There is no reason for God to restate what was already stated about wives. David knew it already too, it was required for the king to know.

Election and Duties of Kings

Deuteronomy 17:…16 "Moreover, he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor shall he cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, since the LORD has said to you, 'You shall never again return that way.' 17 "He shall not multiply wives for himself, or else his heart will turn away; nor shall he greatly increase silver and gold for himself. 18 "Now it shall come about when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests.…

Davids sin was not ignored, he suffered as well as his family as a result of his sin choice, which anyone can see by reading scripture on it.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
No it isnt, God is merely saying that if David would have obeyed God and followed Gods laws, He would have blessed him even more. Ive already shown clearly it wasn't more wives God promised, just more blessing period. There is no reason for God to restate what was already stated about wives. David knew it already too, it was required for the king to know.

Election and Duties of Kings

Deuteronomy 17:…16 "Moreover, he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor shall he cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, since the LORD has said to you, 'You shall never again return that way.' 17 "He shall not multiply wives for himself, or else his heart will turn away; nor shall he greatly increase silver and gold for himself. 18 "Now it shall come about when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests.…

Davids sin was not ignored, he suffered as well as his family as a result of his sin choice, which anyone can see by reading scripture on it.

To be blunt... God is quoted by Sonnet in your quotation as saying ... "I gave... Your master's wives into your arms"

"2 Sam. 12:8"

The into your arms verbiage directly connects to David making love to multiple women.

This is further accurate as later account of David's life mentions young virgins keeping him warm in his arms, "though he did not know them".

The Bible is clear when sex is not implied.

Thus, the "I gave" directly connects God to giving David multiple sexual partners.

In the end, it was theft and murder that David was approached for.

The adultry aspect of this discussion remains relevant from my perspective opinion, despite what the law says.

Sonnet still has a strong point that something is askew.

Adultry equals sex outside of sex with the first person an individual has sex with. This would be the most accurate biblical definition of adultry with the Law's verbiage combined with Jesus' words and biblical, historical custom.

Further amplified by Jesus... Adultry would be lust or yearning for anyone besides a persons first yearning and consummation.

The genuine matter that is visible here is that stances have been changing over this matter.

There is disagreement and desire to justify the law, while reckoning the breaking of Jesus' amplification of the law in His New Testament words with Old Testament practices that were allowed.

Either it is ok to have multiple, living sexual partners as a man... or it is not.

Why was it ok for men but not for women?

Perhaps this should hold true today. Perhaps women should be ok with sharing their men, while they themselves could be considered biblically ruined if their virginity does not remain intact until marriage, and only death do them part from said marriage.

Does the Old Testament serve as a guide for modern day holy living?

I have to point out that Sonnet is far from off point on this matter.

These matters do come up when this discussion is evaluated at an honest and subjective level.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
To be blunt... God is quoted by Sonnet in your quotation as saying ... "I gave... Your master's wives into your arms"

The into your arms verbiage directly connects to David making love to multiple women.

This is further accurate as later account of David's life mentions young virgins keeping him warm in his arms, "though he did not know them".

They are quoting an errant translation, see the original, it says nothing about them being in his arms, it just says he was given sauls kingdom, wives, lands etc..

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

They are quoting an errant translation, see the original, it says nothing about them being in his arms, it just says he was given sauls kingdom, wives, lands etc..

Sonnet keeps changing versions to try to make it look like it says something it doesn't. Anyone looking to do that, has no real motive to know what God wills, but motive to do their own will.

God plainly told them not to multiply wives and Jesus makes it even clearer in Matthew. Its clear, unless one just doesnt want it to be, and that motive is not a heart that cares what Gods will is.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Sonnet keeps changing versions to try to make it look like it says something it doesn't. Anyone looking to do that, has no real motive to know what God wills, but motive to do their own will.

God plainly told them not to multiply wives and Jesus makes it even clearer in Matthew. Its clear, unless one just doesnt want it to be, and that motive is not a heart that cares what Gods will is.

Ok... New info harvested via lazy copy and paste on my part... But David had actual marriages that went far beyond Sauls wives... in fact... perhaps you could produce verses on this Sauls wives thing... I'm not certain this is accurate.

If you are correct... David would have wives of Sauls, as well as one of their daughters.

Here is the copied info...

Question: "How many wives did King David have?"

Answer: King David had many wives, according to the Bible, although only eight of them are named. Of the eight, five are mentioned only once. The other three wives figure prominently in the story of King David.

David’s first wife was Michal, the daughter of King Saul. Her story begins in 1 Samuel 18—19. Saul gave Michal to David to marry after David defeated a hundred Philistines. But Saul, always fearful of young David’s popularity with the people, planned to kill his new son-in-law. However, Michal, who loved David, warned him of the plot and helped him escape. Following this, Saul gave Michal to another man. After David became king, Michal was restored as his wife (2 Samuel 3). She later despised David when she saw him dancing before the Lord (2 Samuel 6:14–22). Michal had no children, perhaps in punishment for mocking the servant of the Lord (verse 23).

The story of David’s second wife of note, Abigail, is told in 1 Samuel 25. She was originally the wife of Nabal, an evil man who disrespected David. In his anger, David planned to attack and kill Nabal and all his household. Abigail, a wise and prudent woman, met David as he and his men were approaching. She bowed down to him and convinced him not to seek revenge and cause bloodshed. David recognized that her good judgment was a gift to him from God. Abigail returned to Nabal and told him how close he had come to death. Nabal’s “heart failed him and he became like stone” (verse 37). Ten days later, God struck Nabal and he died, and Abigail then became David’s wife.

The sad story of David’s wife Bathsheba is well known (2 Samuel 11:1–17). She was originally the wife of Uriah the Hittite, a trusted soldier in David’s army. While Uriah was away at war, David saw Bathsheba bathing in her courtyard one night; she was beautiful, and David lusted after her. Even knowing she was another man’s wife, David summoned her to his palace and slept with her. When she found that she was pregnant, she informed David, and the king, rather than repent, added to his sin. David ordered that Uriah be placed on the front lines of the battlefield where he was abandoned by his fellow soldiers and killed by the enemy. Then David married Bathsheba, but their child died shortly after birth. David chronicled his sin and repentance over these evil acts in Psalm 51. David and Bathsheba had four more children (1 Chronicles 3:5). Their son Solomon ruled after his father’s death.

The other five named wives of David were Ahinoam, Maacah, Haggith, Abital, and Eglah (2 Samuel 3:2–5; 1 Chronicles 3:1–3). According to 2 Samuel 5:13, David married more wives in Jerusalem, but how many is unknown.

... Reference from...

https://gotquestions.org/wives-King-David.html

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

I have researched matters further. David had other wives besides Sauls. The 2 Sam. Verse we have discussed is the key to the additions, but research has verified that these wives were known intimately by David with full marital rights.

Thus, there is now additional evidence that David's multiple marriages are documented well and in God's summary of David's life, only Uriah's murder and Bathsheba being stolen from him in adultry are the only matters cited against his righteousness.

Ben Masada

Only men get extra wives bud.
Not women getting extra husbands..

And I find it fair enough because there are many more women than men in all countries throughout the world.
Hence, polygamy is the chance many women can say they are married and have legitimate children.

Ben Masada

Romans 7 explicitly forbids polygamy.

v.3
So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

Not only that law but all laws that obligate her to her husband. Paul mentioned that allegory not because of polygamy but to claim that we all have been released from the Law with the death of Jesus. This Pauline assertion contradicted Jesus himself who said that the Law would remain till Heaven and Earth passed away. (Mat. 5:17-19)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Not only that law but all laws that obligate her to her husband. Paul mentioned that allegory not because of polygamy but to claim that we all have been released from the Law with the death of Jesus. This Pauline assertion contradicted Jesus himself who said that the Law would remain till Heaven and Earth passed away. (Mat. 5:17-19)

You are absolutely correct about Paul! However, Jesus agreed with Paul and taught identically.

Matthew 5 –
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; 1: (I have not come to abolish) them 2: (but to fulfill them).

18 For truly, I say to you, 3: (until heaven and earth pass away), not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law 4: (until all is accomplished).

19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called 5: (least in the kingdom of heaven), but whoever 6: (does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven).

20 For I tell you, 7: (unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees), 8: (you will never enter the kingdom of heaven).

I agree with you, except your statement that Paul is disagreeing with Jesus. Let’s tie some scripture together in relation to the points of the excerpt from the “Sermon on the Mount” that you quoted.

1: (I have not come to abolish)

- Jesus insinuates that the Pre-Jesus scriptures… known as the Law (Pentateuch) and Prophets (All Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim writings) are not invalidated by His work.

- Paul mentions this in Galatians 5:4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace.

Paul is stating that the law stands as a witness against those that attempt to utilize it for salvation. Jesus said this very thing in John 5:39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,… And again in Matthew 15 ; 7You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8“‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
9in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

Jesus further goes on to warn that those who hinge life on the Law will be judged by Moses himself in John 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope.

Jesus fully set forth that the Law would stand against those that make others believe that human righteousness has anything to do with salvation.

In the afore mentioned John 5:39, Jesus clearly states that He is the presence of the God of the Pre-Christ scriptures. He says that the scriptures bear witness about Him. That is Jesus saying that the entire Tanakh is about Him.

2: (but to fulfill them)

This is Jesus saying that He is FULFILLING His promise to be the Salvation of the world. He is merely echoed by Paul, whenever Paul emphasizes that Jesus and not the Statutes of the Law, either kept or transgressed, save mankind.

3: (until heaven and earth pass away)

This is brought up specifically in Revelation 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

This is in agreement with Paul that either Jesus the Messiah is the Savior, or a person denies God as their hope and by choice is judged by the Law.

According to John, who authored Revelation, and in agreement with Jesus who separates the sheep and the goats by how people love even the very least of humanity, considered least by sin, sickness or any affliction, ... sheep and goat parable is found in the book of Matthew... The Law of Moses is absolutely not utilized as the measuring stick of God in the Judgment of humanity that comprehends mercy and extends it in suit.

However, until heaven and earth pass away, unmerciful humanity that condemns fellow humanity with the letter of scripture and law, will most likely be judged by the letter of scripture and law. This is in agreement with "blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."

4: (until all is accomplished)

Note the word 'law' comes directly before this. The accomplished verbiage is echoed by Jesus in the book of John when He takes the Gaul or Poor Man’s Wine and follows with “It is Finished”, which is directly insinuating that the Law is no longer God’s standard of judgment. When you take into account that Jesus is persecuted continually by the “Teacher’s of the Law” during His ministry, this brings emphasis to this point.

5: (least in the kingdom of heaven)

It is crucial to note that the verbiage that precedes these words talks about a people that will remove the Laws as God’s standard of Salvation and Judgment in their teachings. Paul is clearly one of them. These people are called “least” IN the Kingdom. Jesus was “LEAST” while on earth, but is “GREATEST” in heaven. He counted HIMSELF ALL SIN, but He knew NO SIN on earth, and thus He was “Least” on Earth, but greatest in “HEAVEN”. While Sinners, who are least in comparison to God, will be in eternity, and were counted Greatest on the Earth by Jesus/God… This is further emphasized in Genesis, as Man was given supremacy over the earth.. This is congruent with ALL scripture.

6: (does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven)

Only God is righteous by the Law, and low-and-behold, there He is teaching people how they are never good by the standards of the Law, by explaining the actual Spiritual and Carnal Morality demanded by the Law. God “gave” the law, taught the Law on the Sermon on the mount, and fulfilled it in FULL on Calvary.

7: (unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees)

This is a statement about people that lived to KEEP and COMMAND the Statutes of the LAW. Only God is blameless by the Law. No one else is. This is why Jesus as the incarnate God standing in place of Sinful humanity, is humanities only hope.

8: (you will never enter the kingdom of heaven)

Jesus makes it clear that referring to the LAW is useless in matters of salvation. While earlier, the group that teach that the Law is not a valid pursuit or teaching interest are IN the kingdom of Heaven as THE LEAST, the group of people that judge others by the law and attempt to follow it are counting themselves as GREAT and thus they are not recognizing God’s supremacy. They are incapable of “working” their way to heaven. Or to be extremely blunt... They will not be in eternity. This doesn't mean that their fate is sealed, but it does mean that they are vainly following and teaching the Law, and especially vainly condemning others by the Law.

The number of verses in the Pre-Christ Scriptures and the Post-Christ Scriptures that support this in full are so many in number that it is useless to attempt to make them say anything else.

Last edited: