What Does it Mean to be Born Again?

Robert Pate

Banned
Jesus said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God" John 3:3.

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit" John 3:6.

Peter wrote, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed (Adam) but of incorruptible, BY THE WORD OF GOD, which lives and abides forever" 1 Peter 1:23

Being born again is about receiving the Holy Spirit. We are all born into the world as lost sinners and need to be born again by the word of God. The word of God is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Those that have been born again are those that have heard the Gospel and believe it. There is no other way to be born again. Catholics believe that they are born again by the works of the law. Do good works, obey the Catholic church and you will be born again. Calvinist believe that some how, at some time, God's zapps them with the Holy Spirit and they are born again. Both of these doctrines are false.

Paul wrote to the Galatians, "This only would I learn of you, did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (because you did something) or by the hearing of faith?" (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2.

On the day of Pentecost when the Gospel first came into the world in the power of the Holy Spirit, thousands heard the Gospel, believed the Gospel and were born again, Acts 2:41. It was the preaching of the Gospel that gave birth to the New Testament church, Acts 2:41-47. The book of Acts is a book about how God in the power of the Holy Spirit is sending the "Good News" of his Son Jesus Christ into all of the world. The Holy Spirit transformed the lowly disciples into powerful preachers of the Gospel, Acts 4:13-22.

I was born again when I turned on the TV and heard these words, "But that thy blood was shed for thee". That is all that I heard. Billy Graham was giving the alter call. The Holy Spirit convicted me of my need for Christ and I became a Christian. That was 48 years ago, I have not been the same since. The change was that I became interested in spiritual things and less interested in things of the flesh. The transformation was slow but sure. The transformation is not what saved me, I was saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus Christ.

I have heard of people being born again by simply reading the Bible. A traveling salesman checked into a motel and found a Bible in the night stand that had been placed there by the Giddeons. He opened the Bible to the book of John and started reading it, just like me, the Holy Spirit convicted him of his need for Jesus Christ and he became a Christian. There are numerous accounts of people being saved in the New Testament. This is why Paul wrote...

So then faith comes by hearing and hearing BY THE WORD OF GOD (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.

jsanford108

What Catholics actually believe:

Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1991: Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or "justice") here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What does it mean to be born again?

It means we have a spiritual body and a spiritual mother.

Spiritual bodies are non-material and therefore invisible.

Robert Pate

Banned
What Catholics actually believe:

Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1991: Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or "justice") here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.

The big difference between Catholicism and Protestantism Is that Catholics believe that the virtues of Jesus Christ are infused into them, making them pleasing to God.

Protestants believe that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them, but they don't have it yet. It is to their account.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Nanja

Of course it is. You first have to believe that you are a sinner in need of a savior.

Before a person is Born of the Spirit, their own believing is nothing but a work of the flesh!

Rom. 8:5-8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God" John 3:3.

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit" John 3:6.

Peter wrote, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed (Adam) but of incorruptible, BY THE WORD OF GOD, which lives and abides forever" 1 Peter 1:23

Being born again is about receiving the Holy Spirit.

Not based on what you posted. We occupy a body of corruptible seed. We are not yet resurrected.

Robert Pate

Banned
Not based on what you posted. We occupy a body of corruptible seed. We are not yet resurrected.

True, we are sinners saved by grace. We see ourselves and others as sinners.

However, God does not see us as sinners. He sees us as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

This is the condition for giving us the Holy Spirit.

Robert Pate

Banned
Before a person is Born of the Spirit, their own believing is nothing but a work of the flesh!

Rom. 8:5-8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Are you calling Jesus a Liar?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True, we are sinners saved by grace. We see ourselves and others as sinners.

However, God does not see us as sinners. He sees us as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

This is the condition for giving us the Holy Spirit.

We are not born again, as told in John 3. The Lord Jesus Christ stated the standards. There is flesh, and there is Spirit. There is not a third choice. The standard he said is verse 8. Nobody does that, except the Lord Jesus Christ himself.