What Are You Listening to Now VI

Arthur Brain

Does some music produce a certain range of colours or is it always the spectrum?

It usually ends up encompassing the spectrum but depending on what key it's in it can have an overall hue of red or blue, green or whatever...but then a lot of music I like can be dissonant or more textured rather than straight out melodic, though I love the lusher side as well. Just weird I guess...:eek:

Thunder's Muse

It usually ends up encompassing the spectrum but depending on what key it's in it can have an overall hue of red or blue, green or whatever...but then a lot of music I like can be dissonant or more textured rather than straight out melodic, though I love the lusher side as well. Just weird I guess...:eek:

A bit weird but I love it :)

Big Dave

deos he yodel like slim whitman?

LOL, not that I ever heard, although I haven't listened to all 105 Slim Dusty albums.

Slim Whitman, man, there's another legend! I love American Country and Bluegrass music as well, as it's American folk and traditional music. However, I tend to stop listening to most Country and Western post 1970's. I like "the old stuff" :)

Genesis - Squonk

Like father like son
Not flesh nor fish nor bone
A red rag hangs from an open mouth.
Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle,
A-tumbling and a-bumbling he will go.
All the King's horses and all the King's men
Could never put a smile on that face.

He's a sly one, he's a shy one
Wouldn't you be too.
Scared to be left all on his own.
Hasn't a, hasn't a friend to play with, the Ugly Duckling
The pressure on, the bubble will burst before our eyes.
All the while in perfect time
His tears are falling on the ground
BUT IF YOU DON'T STAND UP YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE.

Go a little faster now, you might get there in time.

Mirror mirror on the wall,
His heart was broken long before he ever came to you.
Stop your tears from falling,
The trail they leave is very clear for all to see at night
all to see at night.
THEY COME AT NIGHT!

In season, out of season
What's the difference when you don't know the reason.
In one hand bread, the other a stone.
The Hunter enters the forest.
All are not huntsmen who can blow the huntsman's horn
By the look of this one you've not got much to fear.

Here I am, I'm very fierce and frightening
Come to match my skill to yours.
Now listen here, listen to me, don't you run away now
I am a friend, I'd really like to play with you.
Making noises my little furry friend would make
I'll trick him, then I'll kick him into my sack.
You better watch out... You better watch out.

I've got you, I've got you, you'll never get away.

Walking home that night
The sack across my back, the sound of sobbing on my shoulder.
When suddenly it stopped,
I opened up the sack, all that I had
A pool of bubbles and tears - JUST A POOL OF TEARS.

All in all you are a very dying race
Placing trust upon a cruel world.
You never had the things you thought you should have had
And you'll not get them now,
And all the while in perfect time
Your tears are falling on the ground.

The Squonk is of a very retiring disposition and due to its ugliness,
weeps constantly. It is easy prey for hunters who simply follow a tear-
stained trail. When cornered it will dissolve itself into tears.
True or False?

Big Dave

Greensleeves

"Greensleeves". Often considered the quintessential English folk song, it is quite often erroneously attributed to Henry VIII. The myth is that Henry VIII composed it for Anne Boleyn, or that it was written by another about Henry and Anne. No. The song was not performed in England (or any part of Britain) until after Henry VIII died.

The fact, remains, however, that the song is over 400 years old. Think about that. Over 400 years ago, English minstrels were performing the song, and here in 2014, we're listening to it on Youtube. Something tells me, 400 years from now, people will not be listening to "Lady Gaga" noise.

Big Dave

Da Pacem Domine

Here's one even older than "Greensleeves". This, along with the "Salve Regina", were the chants of The Knights Templar, and date back to The Crusades.

It is very interesting to listen to this song, and others from the time period. To close your eyes and imagine yourself in a Cathedral, or in one of the Templar's Keeps/Castles. Music like this is timeless.

Big Dave

The Star of the County Down

A Northern Irish classic.

The chorus, "From Bantry Bay up to Derry Quay,and from Galway to Dublin town. No maid I've seen like the sweet colleen that I met in the County Down" needs some explaining. The Bay of Bantry is the southern most part of Ireland, with the Quay of Derry being the northernmost. The Bay of Galway is the westernmost tip of Ireland, and Dublin the easternmost. Essentially, she is the most beautiful woman in all of Ireland, as her beauty isn't matched across the entire length and width of the island.

Also, her surname, McCann (Mac Cana), is considered one of the, if not the oldest hereditary surnames in Western Europe.

Big Dave

Ulster-Scots

A lively little tune out of the Ulster-Scots community in Northern Ireland. The Ulster-Scots, often referred to as Scot-Irish in North America, were originally Scottish farmers, adventurers, and laborers "transplanted" into Ulster (nine northern counties of Ireland, though modern NI has only six of the original nine counties) beginning in the 17th century. Many came willingly, while in the case of the Border Reivers, not willingly at all. They are historically a Protestant community (Presbyterianism being the largest denomination), and some of them still capable of speaking the Ulster-Scots dialect (very similar to Scots).