What are the commands of the new covenant?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I often make mention of God’s Law as Torah Law, Old Covenant Law, or the Law of Moses. It is this Law that God gave to the nation of Israel to set them apart from the nations and so that the world would become accountable to God.

The people of Israel broke the covenant. God promised through the prophet Jeremiah that a new covenant would come to the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the old.

Jeremiah 31:31-32 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.

When did this come to be? Jesus spoke of the new covenant in His own blood. He died for us for the forgiveness of our sins.

Do the following verses speak of this same new covenant? What law would He put in the people of Israel, writing it on their heart?

Jeremiah 31:33-34 NASB - 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

What law is the prophet Jeremiah speaking of? Are the commands of the new covenant the commands of the old covenant? What are the commands of the new covenant?

Epoisses

Everything is new under the new covenant including Israel. You can't place old ethnic Israel under the new covenant of the Spirit and grace. Ethnic Israel never accepted Christ or the gospel so they are not under the new covenant. The new covenant was only for the house of Judah and Israel and in the 1st century the only ethnic tribes present were Judah, Benjamin and a few Levites aka the house of Judah. The house of Israel was lost to history so God brought in the Gentiles to fill the ranks. Believing Jews make up the house of Judah and believing Gentiles make up the house of Israel. God does not deal in worthless genealogies anymore so those who have faith and call on the name of the Lord are adopted into the house of God. Love is the new spiritual law of the new spiritual covenant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Everything is new under the new covenant including Israel. You can't place old ethnic Israel under the new covenant of the Spirit and grace. Ethnic Israel never accepted Christ or the gospel so they are not under the new covenant. The new covenant was only for the house of Judah and Israel and in the 1st century the only ethnic tribes present were Judah, Benjamin and a few Levites aka the house of Judah. The house of Israel was lost to history so God brought in the Gentiles to fill the ranks. Believing Jews make up the house of Judah and believing Gentiles make up the house of Israel. God does not deal in worthless genealogies anymore so those who have faith and call on the name of the Lord are adopted into the house of God. Love is the new spiritual law of the new spiritual covenant.

I don't believe Gentiles are Israel. As for Israel the New Testament scriptures/writings speak of Israel around the time of Christ. In fact, Jesus is the King of Israel.

Epoisses

Okay, but Israel is still Israel. The new covenant was for the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

There is an Israel of the flesh and an Israel of the spirit. Paul made this distinction all throughout his writings.

Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 1Cor. 10:18

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is an Israel of the flesh and an Israel of the spirit. Paul made this distinction all throughout his writings.

Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 1Cor. 10:18

I see nothing wrong with Israel after the flesh. This is talking about the nation of Israel. It is talking about something we read or find in Torah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Deuteronomy 6:4-5 NASB - 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Leviticus 19:18 NASB - 18 'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Robert Pate

Banned
I often make mention of God’s Law as Torah Law, Old Covenant Law, or the Law of Moses. It is this Law that God gave to the nation of Israel to set them apart from the nations and so that the world would become accountable to God.

The people of Israel broke the covenant. God promised through the prophet Jeremiah that a new covenant would come to the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the old.

Jeremiah 31:31-32 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.

When did this come to be? Jesus spoke of the new covenant in His own blood. He died for us for the forgiveness of our sins.

Do the following verses speak of this same new covenant? What law would He put in the people of Israel, writing it on their heart?

Jeremiah 31:33-34 NASB - 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

What law is the prophet Jeremiah speaking of? Are the commands of the new covenant the commands of the old covenant? What are the commands of the new covenant?

Jesus is the New Covenant. There are no commandments.

Robert Pate

Banned
Deuteronomy 6:4-5 NASB - 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Leviticus 19:18 NASB - 18 'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

The law has been abolished for the Christian, Ephesians 2:15. "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe Jesus observed and taught the old covenant. Are these also new covenant commands? They were affirmed by Jesus in the New Testament scriptures. I have nothing against old covenant commands. I don't know what commands in the Bible would be considered new covenant commands.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The law has been abolished for the Christian, Ephesians 2:15. "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

Habakkuk 2:4 NASB - 4 "Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What law is the prophet Jeremiah speaking of?

This one:

Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord.

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds and write it on their hearts and I will be their God and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity and their sin I will remember no more.
(Jeremiah 31:31-34)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This one:

Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds and write it on their hearts and I will be their God and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity and their sin I will remember no more.
(Jeremiah 31:31-34)​

This is where the law I am speaking of is mentioned in Jeremiah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There isn't any.

Paul said to be under the law is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10.

Do you believe you should love God and your neighbor?

What about the law mentioned here in Jeremiah? Is it not referring to the new covenant?

Jeremiah 31:33 NASB - 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.