What are the basics of Reformed Theology

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The text never states that the natural man is "lost." This is your imposition on the context.
You are going to continue to assert this despite the full counsel of Scripture that I have provided. This does not change the plain reading of the passage in its proper context.

None of these are correlated to Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 2:14. This is what I call a "scripture spam", where many proof texts are presented without context in order to try to create the appearance of a theme in order to overcome a difficulty in the current text.
This is the usual response from the anti-Calvinist or the open theist, both of which applies in your case, refusing to consider what all of Holy Writ has to say on the matter, preferring to cherry pick verses to accommodate one's own muzegesis, which has been your long-established methodology.

The didactic in 1 Cor. 2:14 is in direct accordance with the full counsel of Scripture, and includes a proper contextual understanding concerning Jer. 17:9; Mark 7:21-23; Eph, 2:2; Eph. 2:4-5; Titus 3:5; John 3:19; Rom. 3:10-12; 5:6; 6:16-20; Eph. 2:1,3. Despite this, you are adamantly want the passage to mean something other than it actually teaches to escape the implications therein. You do this by ignoring Paul's method of shaming the Corinthians for their behavior (you Corinthians are acting like children so I will treat you as children). As has been discussed, Paul treats them as children because they are acting like children, not because they are actually unregenerate. The context of 1 Cor 2 presents Paul's coming to declare the testimony of God as a foundation for what is to come in Paul's lament over the Corinthians in 1 Cor 3. These are the plain facts of the matter, despite your contortions to twist 1 Cor 2:14 to mean something other than what it plainly teaches. Your view stands in direct contradiction to the full counsel of Scripture concerning the state of the unregenerate so you (not I) are imposing your view upon Scripture. I have provided enough evidence from Scripture that teaches the state of the lost that you dismiss as spam, without meeting any burden to prove otherwise. That is not an argument, only an assertion. I won't do the heavy lifting for you but am happy to defend each and every instance wherein Scripture makes clear the moral inability of the unregenerate:
Spoiler

Genesis 6:5, Genesis 8:21, Jeremiah 17:9, Psalm 22:29, Psalm 51:5, Psalm 58:3, Psalm 130:3, Psalm 143:2, Proverbs 20:9, Job 14:4, Job 15:14-16, Ecclesiastes 7:20,29, Ecclesiastes 9:3, Isaiah 53:6, Isaiah 64:6-7, Jeremiah 13:23, Jeremiah 17:9, 2 Chronicles 6:36, Mark 7:21-23, John 3:3,19,44,65, Romans 3:9-18, Romans 5:6,12, Romans 5:18-19, Romans 6:16-20, Romans 7:18, 23-24, Romans 8:7-8, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Ephesians 2:1-5, Ephesians 4:18, 2 Timothy 2:26-26, 1 John 3:4, 1 John 3:10, 1 John 5:19, Titus 3:3,5

Second, nowhere in 3:1-3 does Paul speak of them "as though they are unregenerate."
Yes he does. Paul speaks to them as carnal, not in the sense as some popular evangelicalism misuses the term and probably the root of your misunderstandings. The Corinthians' problem was that they were living as though they were nothing but flesh (carnal). They were still living at the human level of life. They had never gotten beyond the affairs and material things of this life. They acted as though this world was all there was.

I am not alone in the interpretation here, for example, on this passage Gordon D. Fee observes,
"One cannot be a Christian and be devoid of [the] Spirit. On the other hand, the Corinthians are involved in a lot of unchristian behavior; in that sense they are 'unspiritual,' not because they lack the Spirit but because they are thinking and living just like those who do."

Some faults had crept in among the Corinthians in the administration of the Supper, discipline and propriety of conduct had very much declined: despising the simplicity of the gospel, they had given themselves up to liturgical show and pomp (as do the Romanists today); and in consequence of the ambition of their ministers, they were split into various parties. Notwithstanding this, however, inasmuch as they retained fundamental doctrine: as the one God was adored among them, and was invoked in the name of Christ: as they placed their dependence for salvation upon Christ, and, had a ministry not altogether corrupted: there was, I believe Scripture teaches on these accounts, a Church still existing among them.

In 1 Cor 3 Paul begins to apply to the Corinthians themselves, that he had said respecting carnal persons, that they may understand that the fault was their own—that the doctrine of the Cross had not more wonder for them. In the mercantile minds of the Corinthians there was too much confidence and arrogance still lingering, so that it was not without much ado and great difficulty that they could bring themselves to embrace the simplicity of the gospel. Hence it was that undervaluing that Paul, and the divine efficacy of his preaching, they were more prepared to listen to those teachers that were subtle and showy, yet all the while destitute of the Spirit.

Hence, with the view of beating down so much the better the Corinthians' insolence, as though they were unregenerate, Paul declares that they belong to the company of those who, stupefied by carnal sense, are not prepared to receive the spiritual wisdom of God. It is clear that Paul softens the harshness of his reproach by calling them brethren, but at the same time he brings it forward expressly as a matter of reproach against them concerning the foundations (see 1 Cor 2), that their minds were suffocated with the darkness of the flesh to such a degree that it formed a hindrance to his preaching among them. Just imagine what sort of sound judgment then must they have, when they are not fit and prepared as yet even for hearing! Paul does not mean, however, that they were altogether carnal, so as to have not one spark of the Spirit of God—but that they had still greatly too much of carnal sense, so that the flesh prevailed over the Spirit, and did as it were drown out His light. Hence, although they were not altogether destitute of grace, yet, as they had more of the flesh than of the Spirit, they are on that account termed carnal. This sufficiently appears from what Paul immediately adds—that they were babes in Christ; for they would not have been babes had they not been begotten, and that begetting is from the Spirit of God. Hence, my continued position that Paul treats them as though they were unregenerate, but not actually unregenerate in his often deployed rhetorical manner.

Nothing I have written above implies a stagnant, so called by confused evangelicals "carnal Christian." That the church in Corinth was carnal (as understood from Scripture) is clear from the scriptures. Paul was there for this very reason, to snap them out of it, lest they become a huge stumbling block to others in the region.

The Bible says several things about the flesh.
1. The flesh has no good thing about it; it is opposed to doing good (Rom. 7:18).
2. The man who is in the flesh is under the influence of the flesh and cannot please God (Rom. 8:8).
3. The man who has the spirit of Christ is removed from being in and under the influence of the flesh. Such a man is said to be a transformed man, a new man—even a new creation (Rom. 8:9; Rom. 12:2; 2 Cor. 5:17; Ephes. 4:22-24).
4. The regenerate man is strongly urged to walk "in the spirit." Such a man is said to be a spiritual believer (Gal. 5:16-26).

From Romans 8:5 we see that Paul introduces this difference between the flesh and the Spirit, not only to confirm, by an argument derived from what is of an opposite character, what Paul has mentioned beforehand—that the grace of Christ belongs to none but to those who, having been regenerated by the Spirit, strive after purity—but also to relieve the faithful with a seasonable consolation, lest being aware of many failings, they should fall into despair. For as Paul had exempted none from the curse, save those who lead a spiritual life, Paul might seem to cut off from all mortals the hope of salvation. After all, who in this world can be found adorned with so much angelic purity so as to be wholly freed from the flesh? It was therefore necessary for Paul to define what it is to be in the flesh, and to walk after the flesh.

Once you come to grips with the above, the remainder of your misunderstandings behind your objections evaporate.

AMR

Last edited:

Lon

It makes this a "game" of prove your point. You're the one asserting Calvinism.
:nono: Simply addressing this thread which is merely "what is Reformed theology" answers. I think AMR and perhaps secondarily, I, have answered this particular query/challenge adequately.

You are going to continue to assert this despite the full counsel of Scripture that I have provided. This does not change the plain reading of the passage in its proper context.

This is the usual response from the anti-Calvinist or the open theist, both of which applies in your case, refusing to consider what all of Holy Writ has to say on the matter, preferring to cherry pick verses to accommodate one's own muzegesis, which has been your long-established methodology.

AMR

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Ever notice that anti-Calvinist arguments are entirely composed of personal opinion and fruitless cherry picking of scripture?

There's a phenomenon in this society where people want to make their personal god the Christian god- they simply use Christianity as a validation- anyone who could sit there and spout that Calvinism is '100% wrong' is exactly one of those kind of people; simply putting their own god on a cross.

Epoisses

Ever notice that anti-Calvinist arguments are entirely composed of personal opinion and fruitless cherry picking of scripture?

There's a phenomenon in this society where people want to make their personal god the Christian god- they simply use Christianity as a validation- anyone who could sit there and spout that Calvinism is '100% wrong' is exactly one of those kind of people; simply putting their own god on a cross.

The Calvinist god is a fraud and the invention of man. Only Satan could dream up a doctrine that says God ordained sin and sinners. The intellectual tards lap it up because they are too weak to stand by faith alone. The one requirement in the bible to be saved is to believe not be predestined or win the cosmic lottery.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Calvinist god is a fraud and the invention of man. Only Satan could dream up a doctrine that says God ordained sin and sinners. The intellectual tards lap it up because they are too weak to stand by faith alone. The one requirement in the bible to be saved is to believe not be predestined or win the cosmic lottery.

Critics of Calvinism need to master the difference between assertions and arguments. They need to become aware of their unexamined assumptions. The anti-Calvinist needs to learn that just because something seems to be wrong to them, that creates no presumption that their perception is correct. These folks need to become cognizant of how often they beg the question. It's not the Calvinist's job to make your argument for you. Too many Calvinist critics are intellectual freeloaders. Unless there's a reason to think predestination is incompatible with God's goodness, there's nothing for the Calvinist to disprove. We have nothing to work with. Unable to furnish even prima facie reasons for your objection to predestination, you fall back on verbal abuse. Always nice to see the anti-Calvinist's love and ethics in action.

In view of your Calvinist invective, you also seem to be a wee bit double-minded:
I share beliefs from both camps. I agree with the calvinistic understanding that eveything was completed at the cross and what we receive from Christ is a finished work, where I disagree of course is that they see this as only applying to the elect or believers.

I agree with the arminian understanding that Christ's sacrifice extended to the whole world not just the elect but disagree that they only see it as a provision which is not complete until we believe.

Wrong! The elect are those who abhor sin and repent of their evil lives. They are filled with the Holy Spirit and reflect Christ's image. God simply knows who they are before they were born. The Calvinist gospel leads to cheap grace and saved in sin.

Perhaps most of your misunderstandings of Calvinism are derived from your spending of too much time interacting with beloved57, who along with his little puppy, nanja, represent a heretical minority of extreme hyper-Calvinism. You should take some time to study more so that you are able to distinguish between the hyper-Calvinist and the orthodox Calvinist.

When and until you have something substantial to offer outside the usual anti-Calvinist canards you have collected around the internet, perhaps someone will actually take up your position and engage with you. :AMR:

AMR

Cross Reference

Pay up then. :AMR:

Even better that the Thompson, use SS deluxe with the TSK: http://www.swordsearcher.com/video/kjv-tsk.html

Q.E.D.

Do you understand that you really have no idea what you are talking about most of the time?

AMR

That is a brilliant remark because I believe the same of you all of the time simply because the crooked can't present objective thinking when, because of biased elementary persuasion, rectification now has no effect.

Apparently, when saying "knowledge puffs up", you believe it doesn't apply to you. Hello! Anybody home!

What does TSK and Q.E.D., stand for o great one?

FWIW, I use Thompson Chain Wordseach Bible software; LOGOS 6, if I need it which I seldom do.

Question: Don't you find it a bit amazing how the ist century theologians got along without such helps as we possess. I believe I know the reason, do you?

themuzicman

A Scripture Spam isn't "full counsel". It's just a desperate attempt to save an interpretation that has been shown to be inaccurate.

If you can exegete this verse in its context without having to "fix" it with other verses, things would go better.

This is the usual response from the anti-Calvinist or the open theist, both of which applies in your case, refusing to consider what all of Holy Writ has to say on the matter

LOL... Nice attempt at distraction. It's worthy of Lon.

But the fact is that exegesis is local. A verse cannot mean anything other than what it says in its local context.

But you've been caught contradicting scripture, and no amount of distraction is going to make that go away.

hThe didactic in 1 Cor. 2:14 is in direct accordance with the full counsel of Scripture, and includes a proper contextual understanding concerning Jer. 17:9; Mark 7:21-23; Eph, 2:2; Eph. 2:4-5; Titus 3:5; John 3:19; Rom. 3:10-12; 5:6; 6:16-20; Eph. 2:1,3. Despite this, you are adamantly want the passage to mean something other than it actually teaches to escape the implications therein.

Again with the Scripture Spam. This only indicates that you aren't secure enough in the exegesis of this verse in its own context to stick to the context.

And, if these other verses say the same thing, then you shouldn't need this one.

After all, its interpretation without the imposition of Calvinism isn't a threat to Calvinism.

You do this by ignoring Paul's method of shaming the Corinthians for their behavior (you Corinthians are acting like children so I will treat you as children).

But he hasn't said that. This is how you twist the text to fit your theology. He's stated clearly that they COULDN'T eat solid food, that they were UNABLE.

He isn't saying that he's treating them as though they are immature. He's saying that they ARE immature, and as such, UNABLE to receive solid food.

As has been discussed, Paul treats them as children because they are acting like children, not because they are actually unregenerate.

And, as such, they are unable to receive the things of the spirit of God spoken of in 2:14. They certainly aren't the "spiritual persons" spoken of in 2:15.

I think you just made my point.

The context of 1 Cor 2 presents Paul's coming to declare the testimony of God as a foundation for what is to come in Paul's lament over the Corinthians in 1 Cor 3. These are the plain facts of the matter, despite your contortions to twist 1 Cor 2:14 to mean something other than what it plainly teaches. Your view stands in direct contradiction to the full counsel of Scripture concerning the state of the unregenerate so you (not I) are imposing your view upon Scripture.

Again, you've provided zero contextual evidence that the "natural man" must mean unregenerate.

And the contextual evidence, namely that Paul says that the saved Corinthians were unable to receive these same things, suggests otherwise, and it brings us to the logical conclusion that the "Things of the Spirit of God" in 2:14 cannot include the gospel.

I have provided enough evidence from Scripture that teaches the state of the lost that you dismiss as spam, without meeting any burden to prove otherwise.

I'm not sure what else to call your actions. You cite dozens of verses without a single word of exegesis from any of them, and then expect us to just bow to volume.

That is not an argument, only an assertion. I won't do the heavy lifting for you but am happy to defend each and every instance wherein Scripture makes clear the moral inability of the unregenerate:

If you can make the point that you want to make from 1 Corinthians 2:14 elsewhere, then why cling so tightly to this one verse? Why not just admit that you contradicted Scripture, admit that your interpretation here is wrong, and go on to the rest of your Scripture Spam to make your point?

We can get to the rest of your scripture spam later, but right now we're focused on this one verse in its own context. Just because you can claim that your view is supported in other verses doesn't mean that this particular one says the same thing.

Spoiler

Genesis 6:5, Genesis 8:21, Jeremiah 17:9, Psalm 22:29, Psalm 51:5, Psalm 58:3, Psalm 130:3, Psalm 143:2, Proverbs 20:9, Job 14:4, Job 15:14-16, Ecclesiastes 7:20,29, Ecclesiastes 9:3, Isaiah 53:6, Isaiah 64:6-7, Jeremiah 13:23, Jeremiah 17:9, 2 Chronicles 6:36, Mark 7:21-23, John 3:3,19,44,65, Romans 3:9-18, Romans 5:6,12, Romans 5:18-19, Romans 6:16-20, Romans 7:18, 23-24, Romans 8:7-8, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Ephesians 2:1-5, Ephesians 4:18, 2 Timothy 2:26-26, 1 John 3:4, 1 John 3:10, 1 John 5:19, Titus 3:3,5

(It's interesting that you demand that someone else do your "heavy lifting." All you've done is posted a bunch of verses. You've not brought any exegesis of these passages with them. It's like the pharisees who loaded people down with burdens, and then did nothing to help them

Yes he does. Paul speaks to them as carnal

He says that they ARE carnal, not "as". If you're going to claim that "carnal" means "unregenerate", then you're going to have to explain how Paul refers to them as saved.

The Corinthians' problem was that they were living as though they were nothing but flesh (carnal). They were still living at the human level of life. They had never gotten beyond the affairs and material things of this life. They acted as though this world was all there was.

Let's get back to the question you need to answer:

Were these saved Corinthians able to receive solid food or not?

3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able

γαλα υμας εποτισα ου βρωμα ουπω γαρ εδυνασθε αλλ ουδε νυν δυνασθε

You said they were, Paul says that they were not.

Last edited:

themuzicman

:nono: Simply addressing this thread which is merely "what is Reformed theology" answers. I think AMR and perhaps secondarily, I, have answered this particular query/challenge adequately.

In that you have given opportunity to expose but a few of the errors of reformed theology, yes.

themuzicman

At the risk of AMR not actually answering the problem where he contradicts Scripture, I'd like to start examining a few of the Scriptures he's spammed at us to see how that exegesis works out:

The most obvious error is citing Job 15:14-16. You see, in Job 15, Eliphaz is speaking. Why is this a problem?

Job 42:7 It came about after the Lord had spoken these words to Job, that the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends, because you have not spoken of Me what is right

AMR actually uses reasoning that God directly contradicts because it is "not spoken of [God] what is right."

If there is a more fundamental exegetical error, I'm not sure what it would be. Citing text that God in Scripture says is sufficient in error to warrant WRATH to support one's theology bring serious questions as to the validity of that theology, to the point that one could reject it altogether.

AMR also leans heavily upon the Psalms:

Psalm 51:5, Psalm 58:3, Psalm 130:3, Psalm 143:2

However, one key piece to exegesis is understanding genre. Psalms are poetry. Poetry communicates in images and emotions, often using symbolism and hyperbole.

Take Psalm 58, for example:

3 The wicked are estranged from the womb;
These who speak lies go astray from [f]birth.
4 They have venom like the venom of a serpent;
Like a deaf cobra that stops up its ear

He's cited verse 3 as direct doctrine with literal meaning, but I'm guessing that he's going to run away from the direct doctrine with literal meaning for verse 4, since they don't literally have venom like the venom of a serpent.

What we see throughout the Psalms is the use of symbolism and hyperbole, and since all we have is AMR's spamming of proof texts without exegesis, we'll have to do our own.

Psalms aren't direct doctrine, nor are they to be taken in a wooden, literal sense, as we can see from verse 4. What we need to do in order to understand the Psalms properly is to read the entire Psalm to hear its truth:

58:1 Do you indeed [c]speak righteousness, O [d]gods?
Do you judge [e]uprightly, O sons of men?
2 No, in heart you work unrighteousness;
On earth you weigh out the violence of your hands.
3 The wicked are estranged from the womb;
These who speak lies go astray from birth.
4 They have venom like the venom of a serpent;
Like a deaf cobra that stops up its ear,
5 So that it does not hear the voice of charmers,
Or a skillful caster of spells.
6 O God, shatter their teeth in their mouth;
Break out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord.
7 Let them flow away like water that runs off;
When he aims his arrows, let them be as headless shafts.
8 Let them be as a snail which melts away as it goes along,
Like the miscarriages of a woman which never see the sun.
9 Before your pots can feel the fire of thorns
He will sweep them away with a whirlwind, the [k]green and the burning alike.
10 The righteous will rejoice when he sees the vengeance;
He will wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.
11 And men will say, “Surely there is a reward for the righteous;
Surely there is a God who judges on earth!”

This is a lament against the wicked. There is conflict, here, between the wicked and the "righteous." This isn't a statement of the nature of all unregenerate men, nor does it attempt to address that topic.

It is a warning against the wicked, and a call for God's people to seek righteousness.

Thus, we must conclude that this verse doesn't support AMR's point.

The rest of the Psalms are left for the reader to discover, as this space doesn't allow for an examination of every verse.

This is an interesting verse:

Ecclesiastes 7:20 Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins.

Notice that Solomon states that even righteous men sin. But he does call them "righteous men."

And verse 29:

29 Behold, I have found only this, that God made men upright, but they have sought out many devices.”

God made men upright? That appears to directly contradict Calvinism.

(Of course, we also need to understand that Ecclesiastes is wisdom literature.)

Jeremiah 13:23 is a prophecy specifically spoken to Israel. To attempt to apply this verse outside of it's specific audience is invalid exegesis.

Romans 3:9-18 is another interesting passage. I suspect that AMR wants us to take verse 10 literally, and then skip to poetic view for the remainder of the passages. There isn't literally venom on their lips. Their throats aren't literally open graves. They don't literally rush about killing people.

But AMD wants to engage in special pleading to claim that verse 10 is exempt from symbolism and hyperbole.

But special pleading isn't valid exegesis.

But let's look further at Romans 3:

Romans 3:1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3 What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written,

“That You may be justified in Your words,
And prevail when You are judged.”
5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.) 6 May it never be! For otherwise, how will God judge the world? 7 But if through my lie the truth of God abounded to His glory, why am I also still being judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; 10 as it is written

Paul's point in the opening of Romans 3 is that the Jews had an advantage, but in the end were sinful, just as the Gentiles were.

So, Paul cites 10-18, not as an indictment of all men, but rather as an indictment of the JEWS, as we see in the following verses:

19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

In Romans 2 and 3, those under the law were the Jews. Those without the law were Gentiles (see 2:13-16).

So, even in citing these verses, AMR fails to grasp why Paul cites them, as he is only applying these verses to Jews.

I have run out of space and time doing the "heavy lifting" for AMR.

But I think we can see from these several examples that Calvinist exegesis just doesn't hold up to scrutiny, once we look at each verse in its own context to see what it says.

And, as we all know, a verse cannot mean something outside of its context that it doesn't mean in context. To do so is an imposition on Scripture.

Cross Reference

A Scripture Spam isn't "full counsel". It's just a desperate attempt to save an interpretation that has been shown to be inaccurate.

If you can exegete this verse in its context without having to "fix" it with other verses, things would go better.

LOL... Nice attempt at distraction. It's worthy of Lon.

But the fact is that exegesis is local. A verse cannot mean anything other than what it says in its local context.

But you've been caught contradicting scripture, and no amount of distraction is going to make that go away.

Again with the Scripture Spam. This only indicates that you aren't secure enough in the exegesis of this verse in its own context to stick to the context.

And, if these other verses say the same thing, then you shouldn't need this one.

After all, its interpretation without the imposition of Calvinism isn't a threat to Calvinism.

But he hasn't said that. This is how you twist the text to fit your theology. He's stated clearly that they COULDN'T eat solid food, that they were UNABLE.

He isn't saying that he's treating them as though they are immature. He's saying that they ARE immature, and as such, UNABLE to receive solid food.

And, as such, they are unable to receive the things of the spirit of God spoken of in 2:14. They certainly aren't the "spiritual persons" spoken of in 2:15.

I think you just made my point.

Again, you've provided zero contextual evidence that the "natural man" must mean unregenerate.

And the contextual evidence, namely that Paul says that the saved Corinthians were unable to receive these same things, suggests otherwise, and it brings us to the logical conclusion that the "Things of the Spirit of God" in 2:14 cannot include the gospel.

I'm not sure what else to call your actions. You cite dozens of verses without a single word of exegesis from any of them, and then expect us to just bow to volume.

If you can make the point that you want to make from 1 Corinthians 2:14 elsewhere, then why cling so tightly to this one verse? Why not just admit that you contradicted Scripture, admit that your interpretation here is wrong, and go on to the rest of your Scripture Spam to make your point?

We can get to the rest of your scripture spam later, but right now we're focused on this one verse in its own context. Just because you can claim that your view is supported in other verses doesn't mean that this particular one says the same thing.

Spoiler

(It's interesting that you demand that someone else do your "heavy lifting." All you've done is posted a bunch of verses. You've not brought any exegesis of these passages with them. It's like the pharisees who loaded people down with burdens, and then did nothing to help them

He says that they ARE carnal, not "as". If you're going to claim that "carnal" means "unregenerate", then you're going to have to explain how Paul refers to them as saved.

Let's get back to the question you need to answer:

Were these saved Corinthians able to receive solid food or not?

You said they were, Paul says that they were not.

Do you believe the natural man is unregenerate? Jesus said: "I came not to call the righteous [they needed no physician], but sinners to repentance". Luke 5:32 (KJV),.

Do you believe the natural man can be righteous without being regenerate? How could regeneration happen without the effect of redemption unto salvation the righteous had no need of? Perhaps regeneration is for someone other reason.

themuzicman

Do you believe the natural man is unregenerate? Jesus said: "I came not to call the righteous [they needed no physician], but sinners to repentance". Luke 5:32 (KJV),.

Notice that Jesus doesn't use the term "natural man." So, first we have to determine from 1 Corinthians what Paul meant by "natural man", and that's what I've been exposing. Certainly "natural man" would include the unregenerate, but it is clearly not limited to them, as Paul isn't speaking of the gospel in 1 Cor 2:6-16, but rather this wisdom discussed "among the mature", discerned by "spiritual persons." As saved Corinthians could not discern those things of the Spirit of God, they cannot speak of the gospel.

Clearly God needs to act before men are able to come. This is clear in John 6:44. However, Jesus doesn't speak of "regeneration" when explaining this, but rather states we need to be taught of God, and then we need to respond by hearing and learning. (John 6:45) There's nothing here about "regeneration."

Do you believe the natural man can be righteous without being regenerate?

The more fundamental question is whether regeneration occurs pre- or post-faith. The only verse that speaks of regeneration is Titus 3:5, and Paul doesn't clearly state to whether regeneration is pre- or post-faith, although he does appear to link it with baptism.

How could regeneration happen without the effect of redemption unto salvation the righteous had no need of? Perhaps regeneration is for someone other reason.

If we're to look at John 6 as an ordo saludis, God first draws through His teaching, and then we must respond by hearing and learning from the Father, at which point we are given/come to Christ. It seems to me that it is at this point that regeneration begins.

Cross Reference

If we're to look at John 6 as an ordo saludis, God first draws through His teaching, and then we must respond by hearing and learning from the Father, at which point we are given/come to Christ. It seems to me that it is at this point that regeneration begins.

"If we're to look at John 6 as an ordo saludis, God first draws through His teaching",

But not for salvation but rather for discipleship; son-ship in Him. In this will salvation then be on a higher level of consecration per John 17:3 KJV.

"and then we *[natural righteous man] must respond by hearing and learning from the*[Holy spirit by the Father's directive], at which point we *[they] *are given to Christ"

"It seems to me that it is at this point that regeneration begins".

I agree. That explanation is why I make the distinction between being saved and being born-again.

*[emphasis mine/added]

Epoisses

Critics of Calvinism need to master the difference between assertions and arguments. They need to become aware of their unexamined assumptions. The anti-Calvinist needs to learn that just because something seems to be wrong to them, that creates no presumption that their perception is correct. These folks need to become cognizant of how often they beg the question. It's not the Calvinist's job to make your argument for you. Too many Calvinist critics are intellectual freeloaders. Unless there's a reason to think predestination is incompatible with God's goodness, there's nothing for the Calvinist to disprove. We have nothing to work with. Unable to furnish even prima facie reasons for your objection to predestination, you fall back on verbal abuse. Always nice to see the anti-Calvinist's love and ethics in action.

In view of your Calvinist invective, you also seem to be a wee bit double-minded:

Perhaps most of your misunderstandings of Calvinism are derived from your spending of too much time interacting with beloved57, who along with his little puppy, nanja, represent a heretical minority of extreme hyper-Calvinism. You should take some time to study more so that you are able to distinguish between the hyper-Calvinist and the orthodox Calvinist.

When and until you have something substantial to offer outside the usual anti-Calvinist canards you have collected around the internet, perhaps someone will actually take up your position and engage with you. :AMR:

AMR

Jesus is the savior of the world AMR! That means all people, elect and non-elect. God is love and is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. Nothing about the elect only in those verses from Peter. This perfect atonement (for the world) only exists in Christ and Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father. It does not become mine personally until I first hear the good news and then believe the good news. Thus we see the two phases of the gospel - Christ's work at the cross and Christ's work in the heart of the believer via the Holy Spirit. This is also how Jesus can be the savior of the world (at the cross) and ultimately the world will be broken up into two camps. The sheep (believers) and the goats (unbelievers). Hyper-grace Calvinists are unbelievers.

Cross Reference

Jesus is the savior of the world AMR! That means all people, elect and non-elect. God is love and is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. Nothing about the elect only in those verses from Peter. This perfect atonement (for the world) only exists in Christ and Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father. It does not become mine personally until I first hear the good news and then believe the good news. Thus we see the two phases of the gospel - Christ's work at the cross and Christ's work in the heart of the believer via the Holy Spirit. This is also how Jesus can be the savior of the world (at the cross) and ultimately the world will be broken up into two camps. The sheep (believers) and the goats (unbelievers). Hyper-grace Calvinists are unbelievers.

Correction! Jesus is the "Redeemer" of the whole world. A fact of life neither you nor anyone else had anything to do with. "Salvation" is built upon the foundation of Redemption, the new covenant. No believing for it, no covenant, no salvation.

Salvation is a choice made by the will of man who comes to Christ Jesus for the intention of having his life altered by Him, [Matt 11:28 KJV]. Upon understanding what Jesus accomplished in full and after "counting the cost" [Luke 14:28 KJV] is he then offered the new birth which is of Christ' choosing, purposed to culminate in son-ship in the Father. Read John 17.

Epoisses

Correction! Jesus is the "Redeemer" of the whole world. A fact of life neither you nor anyone else had anything to do with. "Salvation" is built upon the foundation of Redemption, the new covenant. No believing for it, no covenant, no salvation.

Salvation is a choice made by the will of man who comes to Christ Jesus for the intention of having his life altered by Him, [Matt 11:28 KJV]. Upon understanding what Jesus accomplished in full and after "counting the cost" [Luke 14:28 KJV] is he then offered the new birth which is of Christ' choosing, purposed to culminate in son-ship in the Father. Read John 17.

False. Jesus is the savior of the world (John 4:42, 1John 4:14). He actually saved the entire world (including everybody) at the cross. The good news of this Salvation is then communicated to us in the gospel of Christ. Those who believe this good news will receive their Salvation like an inheritance and be forgiven of all their sins. Those who refuse to believe will forfeit their Salvation and die in their sins and be lost forever. Salvation can be forfeited by despising the blood of Christ and resisting the Holy Spirit showing it has been given to all (Heb. 10: 29-31). The lost are like Esau who despise their birthright and throw it away for a bowl of soup.

themuzicman

"If we're to look at John 6 as an ordo saludis, God first draws through His teaching",

But not for salvation but rather for discipleship; son-ship in Him. In this will salvation then be on a higher level of consecration per John 17:3 KJV.

"and then we *[natural righteous man] must respond by hearing and learning from the*[Holy spirit by the Father's directive], at which point we *[they] *are given to Christ"

"It seems to me that it is at this point that regeneration begins".

I agree. That explanation is why I make the distinction between being saved and being born-again.

*[emphasis mine/added]

Seeing as Jesus is speaking to unbelieving Jews, the context would not support discipleship.