Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Erm, no. the government doesn't force an employer to hire people onto their payroll but outside of agency work there's more often than not a contract involved if the position is permanent. This protects both parties. Do a decent job then you're protected from the asinine prejudices of a manager who doesn't like your face. Don't match up to the requirements of your job then your employer has the right to take action to rectify that including dismissal if necessary. It's sensible and logical.

What if the man hired someone, no contract, and then, a few months later, decided he no longer wanted to employ him any longer?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What if the man hired someone, no contract, and then, a few months later, decided he no longer wanted to employ him any longer?
Then he should have a legitimate business related reason for firing him. When you hire someone they act in reliance on the reasonable belief that if they do their job well they should be able to rely on its income and stability, absent exigent events unrelated to their performance, like a downturn in the economy or a drop in demand or increase in overhead that necessitates the move on the part of the employer.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Then he should have a legitimate business related reason for firing him.

nope - they shouldn't need to give any reason

Señor town said:
...they act in reliance on the reasonable belief that if they do their job well they should be able to rely on its income and stability, absent exigent ...
:freak:

many immigrants struggle with the english language and are still more effective at communicating than you are

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Okay, to be fair I did give that excerpt a listen and it really just underlines the importance of having an employment contract. Someone should not be fired because their line manager doesn't like their hair or face . If there isn't a contract in place to protect against such asininity then sure, the employer has the right to dismiss a person based on any particular whim. There's a reason why contracts are in place in general, to prevent that type of lunacy.

I completely agree, with the (small) change of this (my change in brackets):

Someone should not be fired because their [employer] doesn't like their hair or face [if the employee has a contract. If the employee does not have a contract, then there is no obligation that the employer has to the employee, and thus] the employer has the right to dismiss a person based on any particular whim.

An employee, if he recognizes his value to a company, would know that a contract would be a good idea.

Arthur Brain

I completely agree, with the (small) change of this (my change in brackets):

An employee, if he recognizes his value to a company, would know that a contract would be a good idea.

Fair enough, which again underlines the importance of employment contracts and overall it serves both employers and employees. If there's no job security in the workplace then it makes for low morale and likely a downturn in production if there's the constant threat of being fired on some stupid personal whim. If there's a guaranteed security of work, providing the employee meets the standards of the job and outside of misconduct that could justifiably render them sacked, then it's kind of a 'win win' in the main on just that level.

Arthur Brain

If there's no contract involved then the employer can sack whoever for any petty reason. I've worked for agencies where you can be let go without any reason being given. That's part and parcel of a lot of temporary work. If you know that going in then you know what to expect. That's not to say I haven't had agency jobs that were worthwhile for what they were as they were also a means to an end as far as I was concerned also.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So Stripe claims I do something but...That's a swing and a miss, if you're playing at home. Or, if you can't back your play, don't make the charge. It's dishonest to assert you note something you can't actually note.This is Stripe when he's caught with his hand in the cookie jar.No. It's clear you manipulated my text, then founded a lie on that edit and instead of owning that or simply moving past it, created another lie by asserting it against me, but with nothing to back it. So of course you want to make this about me noting it, because the alternative is owning your intentional misrepresentations. That's you doing a paler version. I noted the invention you mounted the lie on and you're trying to echo that, again with nothing to it that you can put hands on.Sure it is. One is an emphatic denial. The other notes a lack of similarities. If one thing is nothing like the other then it has no similarities. Saying not very isn't saying not at all, leaves open the possibility for similarities, if in the minority. And those can't exist if the two are nothing alike, sharing none. It's a shift, a subtle back peddle for room.Practically isn't exactly and that's a shift too.It looks like you'll do anything to avoid taking responsibility for your bad habits, great and small. I mean, how long do you think it will be before you get a handle on the quote function? And will it be before or after you get a handle on argument?
:yawn:

I've set out an argument as to why you're wrong that meets the very definition of charity.
Nope. You've demanded that we must mean the same thing when we say "charity" or "welfare."

You're allowed to put forward your assertion that they must be exactly the same, but I have clearly defined my terms and if you want a sensible discussion you have to respect my offerings.

Demanding that is your way or nothing and spending all your time whining about a few quote tags does nothing for this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope. You've demanded that we must mean the same thing when we say "charity" or "welfare."
What I've actually done is proffer that welfare is a form of public charity. Then I set out why. I'll do it again in a moment and add Merriam Webster on the point in support of my reasoning.

You're allowed to put forward your assertion that they must be exactly the same, but I have clearly defined my terms and if you want a sensible discussion you have to respect my offerings.
Here's what I wrote:

We collectively elect people to stand in our place and speak for us. When they spend our collective money on projects from defense to welfare, they do it in our name. Welfare is, therefore, a public charity, a willful, intentional giving to those in need from a common purse.

And here's what you responded with:
Nope. Charity is when a man sees a need and meets it. Welfare and charity are very different things.

The definition of charity as found in Merriam Webster: "1.
benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity 2. a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also: aid given to those in need b: an institution engaged in relief of the poor c: public provision for the relief of the needy 3 a: a gift for public benevolent purposes b: an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift 4: lenient judgment of others.

Demanding that is your way or nothing and spending all your time whining about a few quote tags does nothing for this discussion.
Astonishing, but this is the problem with distortion as a practice, Stripe. It appears to get easier for you. I've noted a few of your efforts in past posts. The quote tag business is yet another distortion to forge an impression at odds with the truth. I've nudged your repeated, peculiar habit of failing to attribute my words to me and of parroting a charge I sustain with actual quotes while offering nothing in support beyond the echo of form. And all that while supporting my arguments on the point, as I do again above, and rebutting your assertions, as I did with the misapplication of a fallacy, etc.

All of this met by evasion, misstatement, and smilies. Telling me there's no real profit in the attempt. So I refer any reader curious about the a point to look back across our discourse, beginning with post 315 (link).

That's it for me. If you persist in misrepresenting the plain facts I'm just going to paste the rebuttal from those posts. Otherwise, in the absence of counter or argument, I'm done with the circus you brought to town.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The definition of charity as found in Merriam Webster: "1. [/COLOR]benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity 2. a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also: aid given to those in need b: an institution engaged in relief of the poor c: public provision for the relief of the needy 3 a: a gift for public benevolent purposes b: an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift 4: lenient judgment of others.
Which is just you pretending that your narrative holds sway.

However, you've missed a key component: Choice.

People are forced with threat of prison to pay into the welfare system. You seem to think this is fine, because people should want to be generous.

It's not. And welfare is not charity, because it is coerced.

Charity is a man seeing a need and meeting it. Welfare is the state trying to legislate morality, to hear you describe it.

My definition fits perfectly with Webster's; yours requires us to buy into your many excuses for the simple fact that taxation to fund welfare is not justified in the form we see.

Astonishing, but this is the problem with distortion as a practice. It appears to get easier for you. I've noted a few of your efforts to forge an impression at odds with the truth. I've nudged your repeated, peculiar habit of failing to deal with my words in context, while offering nothing in support. And all that while supporting my arguments on the point, as I do again above, and rebutting your assertions, as I did with the proper application of a fallacy, etc.

All of this met by evasion, misstatement, and smilies. Telling me there's no real profit in the attempt. So I refer any reader curious about the point to look back across our discourse.

That's it for me. If you persist in misrepresenting the plain facts I'm just going to paste the rebuttal from those posts. Otherwise, in the absence of counter or argument, I'm done with the circus you brought to town.

:wave2:

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

ok doser

stripe makes an astute observation:
stripe said:
Demanding that is your way or nothing and spending all your time whining ...

town's brilliant response? whining, of course :darwinsm:
Astonishing, but this is the problem with distortion as a practice, Stripe.

It appears to get easier for you.

I've noted a few of your efforts in past posts.

.... yet another distortion to blablablabla

...your repeated, peculiar habit of failing to blablablablabla

....evasion, misstatement, and smilies.

:darwinsm: classic!

eta: worth noting that all of his whining is "declaration without suportive tissue" :darwinsm:

ok doser

town, in attempting to conflate "charity" with "welfare":
The definition of charity as found in Merriam Webster: "1. benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

clearly you've never had the pleasure of interacting with social services at the welfare office :darwinsm:

town said:
2. generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering;

:darwinsm: supra

town said:
aid given to those in need

this is as true of the welfare office as it is of the boy scouts

and i'd argue that the boy scouts are more effective

gonna hafta give up on this mess - i'll stick in a few spaces so you'll see what i mean:

town said:
[COLO R=#3B3E41][FO NT=&][B ]b[/ B][/F ONT][/CO LOR][COLOR=#3B3E 41][FO NT=&][ B]:[/B ][/FO NT][/COL OR][CO LOR=#3B3E41][FON T=&] [ B]an institution engaged in relief of the poor [/B ][/FO NT][/COLO R][CO LOR=#3B3E41][F ONT=&] [/FON T][/COL R][COL OR=#3B3E41]
[FON T=&][B ]c[/B ][/FON T][/COL OR][COL R=#3B3E 41][FON T=&][B ]:[/B ][/FO NT][/COL OR][COLOR=#3B3E 41][FONT =&] [B ]public provision for the relief of the needy[/B ] [/FO NT][/CO LOR][COLOR=#3B3E 41][FONT =&][ B]3 [/B ][/FO NT][/COLO R][COLOR=#3B3 E41][FONT =&][B ]a[/ B][/FO NT][/CO LOR][COLOR=#3B3 E 41][FON T=&][B ]:[/ B][/FON T][/COL OR][COLOR=#3B3 E41][FON T=&] a gift for public benevolent purposes [/FON T][/COL O R][COLOR=#3 B3E41][FONT =&][B ]b[/B ][/FO NT][/COL OR][COLOR=#3B 3E41][FON T=&][B ]:[/ B][/FO NT][/COLO R][COLOR=#3B3E 41][FO NT=&] an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift [/FON T][/COL OR][COLOR=#3B 3E41][FON T=&][ B]4[/ B][/FO NT][/COL OR][COLOR =#3B3E41][FONT =&][B ]: [/ B][/FO NT][/COL OR][COLOR=#3B3 E41][FON T=&]lenient judgment of others[/FO NT][/COL OR][COLOR= #3B 3E41][FO NT=&].[/FO NT][/CO LOR]

as a footnote, town gets top marks for formatting obsessiveness! :thumb:

(if you want to see what I mean, just click on "reply with quote" :dizzy: )

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
town, in attempting to conflate "charity" with "welfare":

clearly you've never had the pleasure of interacting with social services at the welfare office :darwinsm:

:darwinsm: supra

this is as true of the welfare office as it is of the boy scouts

and i'd argue that the boy scouts are more effective

gonna hafta give up on this mess - i'll stick in a few spaces so you'll see what i mean:

as a footnote, town gets top mark for formatting obsessiveness! :thumb:

(if you want to see what I mean, just click on "reply with quote" :dizzy: )
This is all I see...

33a9d7d8542768e93436c735808478a8.jpg

Better, but not by much...

aa9dad3dbf0fcc90ec1df88bb0f5db05.jpg

ok doser

right - that's what I see when I try to reply to his post - the text is absolutely buried in the formatting

and it looks like he was formatting every semicolon and number separately :darwinsm:

it doesn't matter - I made my point

you'd have to be totally ignorant of the modern welfare system to think that it meets the definition of an effective charity

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
right - that's what I see when I try to reply to his post - the text is absolutely buried in the formatting

and it looks like he was formatting every semicolon and number separately :darwinsm:

it doesn't matter - I made my point

you'd have to be totally ignorant of the modern welfare system to think that it meets the definition of an effective charity
Here's the text without all the formatting.

The definition of charity as found in Merriam Webster:
"1. benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2. a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also: aid given to those in need
b: an institution engaged in relief of the poor
c: public provision for the relief of the needy
3. a: a gift for public benevolent purposes
b: an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4: lenient judgment of others.

ok doser

Here's the text without all the formatting.

The definition of charity as found in Merriam Webster:
"1. benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2. a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also: aid given to those in need
b: an institution engaged in relief of the poor
c: public provision for the relief of the needy
3. a: a gift for public benevolent purposes
b: an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4: lenient judgment of others.

right, and government welfare programs meet two of those definitions, specifically 2b and c

but i would argue that they don't meet it effectively, and thus don't meet the definition

otherwise, you could just as well call the Soviet Communist System (or the Chinese, or the North Korean) "charity", as they meet the bare bones definition of 2b and 2c

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Which is just you pretending that your narrative holds sway.
No, it's just me making a posit offered in parts as an act of reason and sustained by authority (Merriam Webster).

However, you've missed a key component: Choice.
Choice is a part of that process. The only difference is you think it can't be charity because every single individual doesn't mark a box that says, "Put X percentage of my tax payments, in sum, into charitable works to help those who are incapable in the moment or longer to help themselves." That's a contrived litmus without any authority whatsoever. The giving done by those who stand in our place is by extension our own. It is entered into voluntarily, both in the fashioning of the process at first and the budgeting for its continuance yearly.

Beyond the clear fact of that and as pertains to the myth of motive, the odd idea that the people protesting welfare are not protesting the charity itself, but the lack of that box...well, it's as peculiar as suggesting that we would not allow our neighbor's house to burn to the ground if permitted the freedom to act, but we begrudge the fire department created to more efficiently and effectively act on our behalf.

People are forced with threat of prison to pay into the welfare system.
This peculiar notion you have that people only refrain from breaking the law under threat of prison is, I believe, largely unsupportable. People do what the law requires for the most part because a) a law is good and b) people desire to do good and to have good done to them. The root of law really isn't force and threat. The root of law is compassion mixed with a heady dose of self-interest. The harder part is essentially reserved for those who would in the general course of things be inclined to take and do what they want without regard for the rights and well being of others.

The right has recognized that for years when it comes to gun crimes, that if you proscribe or compel you don't really tend to impact the felon or the fellow with an evil grudge. You may dissuade lesser thugs or those in the throes of a temptation who can be tempered by reason, but for the most part you're simply prescribing the process for redress and consequence. Or, essentially good citizens follow conscience and that keeps them within the law while those on the margins may be helped, but essentially the law begins to tell everyone what may be done to the breaker and for those damaged by him.

You seem to think this is fine, because people should want to be generous.
I think public charity is fine for a number of reasons. First, because it does a better job than we can as individuals, as a fire department does a better job than relying on neighbors to do their best as they see it. And secondly, because it does a real, tangible public good.

It's not. And welfare is not charity, because it is coerced.
Rather it is charity for the reasons given three or four times now and met with a denial because some (an undisclosed number rooted in your sensibility but not in objective data) begrudge it and therefore remove the voluntary from it. Well, that's met in my reasons to begin with. Beyond that is the case to be made that a) more people than not begrudge welfare and b) that leaders of government are failing their duty to represent that majority. To which I'd answer if and when that is the case the simple remedy is found in a ballot and everyone concerned has access to it.

Charity is a man seeing a need and meeting it.
It's one form, again. And you can say as readily that when any man elects those to do his will and those men act charitably they have...wait for it....seen a need and met it, creating and addressing it as an act of public charity on our behalf and in our name.

Welfare is the state trying to legislate morality, to hear you describe it.
No, that's you only hearing you. If you heard me you'd understand something else, that the state acts as a collection of individuals tasked to represent millions and that in this regard they are acting morally and as an expression of that power given by we, the people, in creating or sustaining a public charity.

My definition fits perfectly with Webster's;
No, your acting illustration of a man meeting a need does, but that was never a part of the contest except as you attempted to restrict charity to it, which neither Websters nor reason will.

yours requires us to buy into your many excuses for the simple fact that taxation to fund welfare is not justified in the form we see.
Again, taxes are collected to fund any number of things and those empowered create programs, the allocations through budgets. The justification is in our process, as is remedy at any point.

I omit a problem of yours that were I to note it would distract and upset you, but I'd be happy to help you with the quote function at any point, both as an act of charity and because I think proper attribution is important. Just nudge me. Any time really.

:e4e:

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
No, it's just me making a posit offered in parts as an act of reason and sustained by authority (Merriam Webster).

Choice is a part of that process. The only difference is you think it can't be charity because every single individual doesn't mark a box that says, "Put X percentage of my tax payments, in sum, into charitable works to help those who are incapable in the moment or longer to help themselves." That's a contrived litmus without any authority whatsoever. The giving done by those who stand in our place is by extension our own. It is entered into voluntarily, both in the fashioning of the process at first and the budgeting for its continuance yearly.

Beyond the clear fact of that and as pertains to the myth of motive, the odd idea that the people protesting welfare are not protesting the charity itself, but the lack of that box...well, it's as peculiar as suggesting that we would not allow our neighbor's house to burn to the ground if permitted the freedom to act, but we begrudge the fire department created to more efficiently and effectively act on our behalf.

This peculiar notion you have that people only refrain from breaking the law under threat of prison is, I believe, largely unsupportable. People do what the law requires largely because a) a law is good and b) people desire to do good and to have good done to them. The root of law really isn't force and threat. The root of law is compassion mixed with a heady dose of self-interest. The harder part is essentially reserved for those who would in the general course of things be inclined to take and do what they want without regard for the rights and well being of others.

The right has recognized that for years when it comes to gun crimes, that if you proscribe or compel you don't really tend to impact the felon or the fellow with an evil grudge. You may dissuade lesser thugs or those in the throes of a temptation that can be tempered by reason, but for the most part you're simply prescribing the process for redress and consequence. Or, essentially good citizens follow conscience which keeps them within the law while those on the margins may be helped, but essentially the law begins to tell everyone what may be done to the breaker and for those damaged by him.

I think public charity is fine for a number of reasons. First, because it does a better job than we can as individuals, as a fire department does a better job than relying on neighbors to do their best as they see it. And secondly, because it does a real, tangible public good.

Rather it is charity for the reasons given three or four times now and met with a denial because some (an undisclosed number rooted in your sensibility but not in objective data) begrudge it and therefore remove the voluntary from it. Well, that's met in my reasons to begin with. Beyond that is the case to be made that a) more people than not begrudge welfare and b) that leaders of government are failing their duty to represent that majority. To which I'd answer if and when that is the case the simple remedy is found in a ballot and everyone concerned has access to it.

It's one form, again. And you can say as readily that when any man elects those to do his will and those men act charitably they have...wait for it....seen a need and met it, creating and addressing it as an act of public charity on our behalf and in our name.

No, that's you only hearing you. If you heard me you'd understand something else, that the state acts as a collection of individuals tasked to represent millions and that in this regard they are acting morally and as an expression of that power given by we, the people, in creating or sustaining a public charity.

No, your acting illustration of a man meeting a need does, but that was never a part of the contest except as you attempted to restrict charity to it, which neither Websters nor reason will.

Again, taxes are collected to fund any number of things and those empowered create programs, the allocations through budgets. The justification is in our process, as is remedy at any point.

I omit a problem of yours that were I to note it would distract and upset you, but I'd be happy to help you with the quote function at any point, both as an act of charity and because I think proper attribution is important. Just nudge me. Any time really.

:e4e:

You know what's funny about all of this? It's all irrelevant. The Bible very clearly states that a 10% tax is tyrannical. We are currently taxed about 50%, with most of that going to one welfare program of some sort or another.

In addition, the Bible also states that a government's roles to perform are only three things, protecting it's citizens, infrastructure, and when possible, protecting other. It does not have the authority to take care of it's citizens.

So, basically, discussing what kinds of welfare programs are acceptable and what are not, and whether the motive is acceptable, is like discussing how far a rock is going to go inside a house when you throw it through the window.