Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He's still doing it, isn't he. :plain: Which is it, a direct personal insult or the ever popular "made you look!"?

In any event, I guarantee you it isn't productive, adult, or on point. For something that is, I refer you to post 315. :cheers:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see my old stalker doser is trying to bury an honest response to Stripe under what it's safe to assume is the sort of distortion and declaration I just finished directly addressing rebutting Stripe's effort. Well, if that's the sum of the approach all I can say is see post 315 for a bit of clarity.

You're not responding honestly to me. I have laid out a coherent idea, your response so far is: Nuh-uh.

The ball is not in my court. If you want to contribute to the conversation, you have to respect what I have said and respond to it rationally. :up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're not responding honestly to me.
You say that, but you won't quote me doing it, while I've caught you literally misrepresenting my response, see: post 315.

I have laid out a coherent idea, your response so far is: Nuh-uh.
That's simply not true, which is why I was comfortable with readers noting our conversation before your attempt to subsequently distort that, which I called you on.

You've made a series of declarations. I've noted that public charity is simply the state doing what individuals do but more effectively. I set out the illustration for that in our response to natural disasters. I've rebutted anything you've tried to present with more than declaration and met declaration with the old whoo-ha.

The ball is not in my court. If you want to contribute to the conversation, you have to respect what I have said and respond to it rationally.
That's one way to retreat.

Again, nothing in Stripe's criticism above is accurate. I invite the reader to look to post 315 for the last summary of his attempts and earlier for how it happened.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...I was comfortable with readers noting our conversation ...

it's disturbing to see your desire to please an audience

again, why not act like a normal person and just have a normal conversation?

town said:
You've made a series of declarations. I've noted that public charity is simply the state doing what individuals do but more effectively.

see how it works stripe?

stripe: makes "a series of declarations without supportive tissue"
town: "notes"

and then, inevitably, town waves the flag at himself:
town said:
I've rebutted anything you've tried to present...

:darwinsm:

and continues with:
Again, nothing in Stripe's criticism above is accurate.

you're lying

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You say that, but you won't quote me doing it.
Therefore, something. :idunno:

While I've caught you literally misrepresenting my response, see: post 315.
Tu quoque is the lowest form of logical fallacy.

I have laid out a coherent idea. If you want to be a sensible part of the discussion, engage with it.

Public charity is simply the state doing what individuals do but more effectively.
Nope.

The most effective way to meet a need is for a man to see it and respond.

Our response to natural disasters.
Which involves everything from emergency response to aid foundations. You need to be more specific. Some of those things are necessary or justified functions of government.

Making this about everything is one way to retreat.

Arthur Brain

Names.

Name someone who would not consider meeting a need of he saw it.

One name.

And if you're going to conflate charity and welfare, name someone who refuses to pay their tax.

Give us a name, or quit making false accusations.

Names? All those who would do away with a system that without would lead to a drastic upsurge in poverty, so you for starters. Unless you're monumentally ignorant you know fine well that charity and voluntary aid couldn't come close to providing for people, they can't help everyone even with the safety net in place. See 'Judge Rightly's comments about how people shouldn't be entitled to food, water and education for further confirmation, and how many times have folk used the verse about 'if a man doesn't work then nor shall he eat' on here to justify their position?

Okay, you are gonna have to explain that one. :AMR:

All of those people who still pay their taxes even though it gets wasted?

You're required to pay taxes.

You have an agenda and are not willing to consider opposing ideas.

The simple fact of the matter is that dismantling a welfare system would lead to an exponential increase in poverty, so there's nothing worth considering.

Your story is that the government has to give money to poor people or else evil right-wingers will never do anything charitable.

Well no, I find some of the attitudes towards the poor from the far right to be contemptible or flippant but that isn't blanketing all right wingers in that regard or stating that no conservative does charitable deeds. I quite literally never said that.

The truth is that welfare is inefficient, wasteful and breeds resentment. Charity comes from those who see a need and meet it; not by government decree.

Nonsense. The truth is that without such a system the poverty scale would skyrocket. There is no way that charity could come close to reaching all those in need.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Therefore, something. :idunno:
Rather:
You say that, but you won't quote me doing it, while I've caught you literally misrepresenting my response, see: post 315. (link added)

Tu quoque is the lowest form of logical fallacy.
That's another thing you like to do, claim a logical fallacy without actually making the case it's so. Or, your head is filled with cream cheese, therefore nothing you say makes sense.

Same degree of proof in either case.

I have laid out a coherent idea.
Which "nope" was that? :plain: More seriously, you set out several ideas. And I answered on several points. You declared a couple I rejected with the same effort offered. I'm not in the habit of responding to every notion someone has with serious consideration absent evidence of the same effort put into their proffer. Seems fair to me.

If you want to be a sensible part of the discussion, engage with it.
I have. You're just in the habit of saying something like this as a defensive move. It's wasted on me the way actual counters seem wasted on you...at least so long as you nope and declare and attempt to mislead your way through differences.

Again, your startlingly cogent reasoning notwithstanding, we have a representative government here. You may not be as familiar with it, being a foreigner. We collectively elect people to stand in our place and speak for us. When they spend our collective money on projects from defense to welfare, they do it in our name. Welfare is, therefore, a public charity, a willful, intentional giving to those in need from a common purse. Of course, we do a bit more than that and, unlike the average person, we can investigate both if the person in question is needy and take more particular measures to see to it that our funds actually address the problem.

Individuals, through no fault of their own, aren't in a position to manage it.

The most effective way to meet a need is for a man to see it and respond.
Not unless you have the right man and he has enough resources to meet the need. Supra, but again, the reason we organize through the federal and state governments to meet natural disasters and other emergencies is that we realize we can do it more efficiently and faster with that degree of organization. The same is true for poverty. A great deal of it exists in the inner cities and in other places where few are present who are not also struggling with poverty and where fewer will venture to address it.

Fortunately, we can apply the same principles and understanding to the problems presented by poverty, momentary and long run, that we do for other national concerns. And we do. It's flawed and we've had to consistently address fraud and related issues, but given most people on public assistance, outside of the disabled, children and elderly, are off the roles in relatively short order (and we've taken relatively recent measures to further ensure that) and back into the work force they largely came from, it's been a successful enterprise.

Hopefully our current administration will continue to grow the economy, further reducing the ranks of those in need of help.

Making this about everything is one way to retreat.

Which would be a great rebuttal if I'd done it, but I'm still talking about the one thing and I'm standing right in front of you, rhetorically speaking. :)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's another thing you like to do, claim a logical fallacy without actually making the case it's so.

it's right there in front of you - rather dishonest of you to claim not to see it :idunno:

town said:
I'm not in the habit of responding to every notion someone has with serious consideration absent evidence of the same effort put into their proffer.

51634314.jpg

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The view post can come in handy. If that's representative of what Sod/doser has been selling I made the right choice to largely go unaware of his content.

But to take a moment and engage on the Tu quoque allegation of Stripe that he failed to support or sustain and which Sod/doser also fails to do more than claim as self evident:

A tu quoque fallacy looks like this:

A person makes a claim that X is so.
The second person responds by asserting that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X and that because of this person A's claim is false.

That isn't the case here, which is why Stripe didn't break it down. Sod/doser didn't because either he doesn't understand how it operates or because he is essentially dishonest where I'm concerned. But why choose?

Stripe made a bold and unsupported declaration:
That would comfortably fit the first part of the fallacy

My response/rebuttal was that he could not prove the assertion by actually quoting an instance of me responding dishonestly. That's the rebuttal on his point.

" You say that, but you won't quote me doing it, while I've caught you literally misrepresenting my response, see: post 315."

Beyond that rebuttal, but not contingent upon it, I noted the plain truth that this unsustainable charge came on the heels of his being caught performing a bit of creative editing to support a then false declaration about my actual response to a particular line. I set out a link to demonstrate and support that note. That's a separate claim, not a rebuttal on his.

To simplify for doser, he's not wrong in making the first claim because he's being hypocritical, he's wrong because he can only claim it but not produce the thing that such a claim should and must be predicated upon, a thing anyone reading should see and nod at. That cut off is what destroys his attempt at claiming fallacy. Instead, the second point made in that sentence is nothing more or less than an illustration of him hoisting himself on a petard of his own making.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes.

We know you won't.

All those who would do away with a system that without would lead to a drastic upsurge in poverty, so you for starters.
Except you're now switching your accusation closer to something we do endorse.

This is the fallacy of moving the goalposts.

Unless you're monumentally ignorant you know fine well that charity and voluntary aid couldn't come close to providing for people, they can't help everyone even with the safety net in place.
Because you say so?

We have people in poverty today with welfare in place. We have fraud. We have a disinterested subculture whose greatest ambition is to qualify for another handout.

What we would endorse had not been tried, or even thought about by the likes of you.

You just pull out stupid examples like OP in an attempt to mock and make no effort to understand.

See 'Judge Rightly's comments about how people shouldn't be entitled to food, water and education for further confirmation, and how many times have folk used the verse about 'if a man doesn't work then nor shall he eat' on here to justify their position?
<who knows what I was saying?>

You're required to pay taxes.
You're catching on. :plain:

The simple fact of the matter is that dismantling a welfare system would lead to an exponential increase in wealth, so there's nothing worth considering.

I find the attitudes towards the poor from liberals to be contemptible.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I knew I forgot to leave an example I wanted to, for Stripe and whomever might find it instructive. This is what that tu quoque fallacy should look like:

Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."

Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong!"

There, Bill believes and asserts the wrongness of Peter's claim rests on his hypocrisy, which cannot rationally control the point. Peter might make a perfect argument for using seat belts in automobiles while leaving his own unbuckled. That might make him look foolish, but it doesn't control a single point of the argument.

Similarly, had I asserted that Stripes claim of a dishonesty he couldn't produce rested on and was rebutted by his dishonesty in his dealings with me I'd have been guilty of the fallacy. A thing that could have been asserted had I not led my response with an actual rebuttal on point and challenge, that he could not support the claim with evidence, before noting the hypocrisy that had my jaw slightly unhinged.

There. I believe that was clearer.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe that was clearer.
Nope.

You're being daft.

There was a topic; you still haven't responded sensibly.

Emergency response and welfare are very different.

Welfare and charity are very different.

You can't be part of the discussion by insisting that they are the same thing and ignoring the ideas of those who disagree.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app