Was Jesus a Jew?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Mr. 5020 said:
So, it would be safe to say that He was not practicing with them.

Jesus recognized that THEY were not praticing Judaism properly.

They had turned it into legalism and a business.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
So, it would be safe to say that He was not practicing with them.
Yes.

The Phariees do not represent judaism, Jesus did.

You might say Jesus was the King of the Jews. :)

justchristian

True Judaism was about the relationship with God and pointed to Christ, Jesus was a true Jew renoucing false Judaism (legalism, pharasees etc). Jesus not being a Jew is like someone not being a Christian in Midevil Europe because they did not believe what the Church claimed was Christianity yet had a relationship with Christ via the Holy Spirit.

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
Jesus recognized that THEY were not praticing Judaism properly.
Oh, I see. So He was simply starting the Jewish Reformation, not a new religion entirely. I can agree with that. However, with that line of thinking we would have to say that all non-Messianic Jews are not practicing Judaism properly.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Oh, I see. So He was simply starting the Jewish Reformation, not a new religion entirely. I can agree with that. However, with that line of thinking we would have to say that all non-Messianic Jews are not practicing Judaism properly.
Anyone (and everyone) who is practicing judaism now is in error.

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
Anyone (and everyone) who is practicing judaism now is in error.
So, would it be safe to say that Jesus started a new religion, nameless as it might have been at the time?

justchristian

So, would it be safe to say that Jesus started a new religion, nameless as it might have been at the time?
I wouldnt say he started a new religion so much as he refocused the true but stray religion.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Mr. 5020 said:
So Jesus is still practicing Judaism, even though

You are deliberately mixing up the time line.

The question I posed at the begining of this thread was simple and straightforward: "Was Jesus a Jew?". The answer to that question is: "Yes, Jesus was a Jew".

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
You are deliberately mixing up the time line.

The question I posed at the begining of this thread was simple and straightforward: "Was Jesus a Jew?". The answer to that question is: "Yes, Jesus was a Jew".
It wasn't deliberate. I wasn't on the same page you were.

I suppose we were measuring it by different standards. I was looking at it from the standard of the Jewish leaders, and by their standard He was not a Jew. You were looking at it by what God wanted the Jewish religion to be.