Warning against Trump alarmism

kmoney

Hall of Fame

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/syndicated-columnists/article131079134.html
Tom Nichols: Chill, America. Not every Trump outrage is outrageous.

The president fired all the ambassadors! He’s issuing executive orders! He’s putting political cronies into trusted positions! He’s declaring his inauguration to be a special national day! Well, of course he is. It’s what presidents do in their first weeks in office. It’s what Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama did, too.
Much to the dismay (and perhaps even surprise) of his opponents, President Donald Trump has charged into office determined to implement many of the policies he promised on the campaign trail. From dismantling the Affordable Care Act to changing the composition of the National Security Council, the president has fired off a series of decisions that have sparked major protests across the United States. There is no honeymoon with the press or the opposition, nor does the president seem to want one. (His approval ratings, predictably enough, are hitting historic lows.)
There is plenty of fuel for the president’s critics in these actions, yet Trump’s opponents — especially in the media — seem determined to overreact on even ordinary matters. This is both unwise and damaging to our political culture. America needs an adversarial press and a sturdy system of checks and balances. Unmodulated shock and outrage, however, not only burn precious credibility among the president’s opponents, but eventually will exhaust the American public and increase the already staggering amount of cynicism paralyzing our national political life.
Much of this anxiety is rooted in the public’s tragic ignorance of civics and government. For younger Americans, this is somewhat understandable. They may have no firm memory of any president taking office other than Obama, and it’s unlikely that they were overly concerned with the statutory membership of the National Security Council eight years ago. Even citizens who remember earlier transitions would have to go back to the chaos of the 2000 election to recall a more divisive transfer of power.
Journalists are supposed to have a longer memory, but the media seem to despise Trump more than any president in modern history, even Richard Nixon. (Reuters recently issued guidance on covering the Trump administration the same way its reporters cover authoritarian regimes around the world.) Trump, for his part, clearly revels in that competition and feeds it daily with taunting tweets and incendiary official statements that he knows will make news.
As a result, too many in the media are inclined to take every action by the new administration as a declaration of war, presenting almost everything as unprecedented or unconstitutional or some other alarming adjective. For instance, Trump’s proclamation of Inauguration Day as a “Day of Patriotic Devotion” was deemed not only “vaguely compulsory” (the Atlantic) but also to have “echoes of North Korea” (the Guardian, in Britain). But eight years ago, Obama declared his own inauguration an equally creepy-sounding “Day of Renewal and Reconciliation.”
This feeds into a social-media environment that is hyperventilating about Trump’s every word.
Ordinary citizens might be forgiven for their lack of civic knowledge, but long-serving members of Congress certainly know better. Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat, said that he was boycotting the Trump inauguration and that it would “be the first one that I miss since I’ve been in the Congress,” which roiled the news and stunned only those who didn’t recall that Lewis also boycotted Bush’s 2001 inauguration. Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Democrat from Vermont, said this past week that he had never seen an executive order end up on the wrong side of a federal court so fast — as though a challenge to an executive order was itself an unprecedented moment in history.
As a scholar of international security affairs, I wish we were talking about these issues on their merits. Unfortunately, our national debate is instead consumed with overreaction and hysteria, which not only cloud important questions but in the short term paradoxically play to the president’s advantage, no matter how much his opponents wish otherwise.
A continual state of panic serves no purpose and will eventually numb voters and their institutions to real threats when they inevitably arise.
The legitimate concerns of the president’s critics are not well served by attacking the normal functions of the executive branch merely because those powers are being exercised by someone they oppose.

I largely agree with this article and it's something I've tried to be careful about. I've gotten into some similar discussions recently. I think there is a lot to criticize about Trump. A lot worries me. But I think critics should be honest and accurate about what they say and not blow things out of proportion. If every day is a frenzy about what Trump is doing next then people could end up numb to it. We could become the boy who cried wolf.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

President Donald Trump has charged into office determined to implement many of the policies he promised on the campaign trail.

Atta boy, Trump!

There is no honeymoon with the press or the opposition, nor does the president seem to want one.

Atta boy, Trump!

quip

BANNED
Banned
The first thing a dictator does after giving the masses his assurances is to silent dissenting voices...it hampers their efforts. Trump's war with the media is such a tactic, as such, the media has an imperative duty to speak against this menace....loudly.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If every day is a frenzy about what Trump is doing next then people could end up numb to it. We could become the boy who cried wolf.

Too late. Its backfiring, i didnt vote for him, but now i support him because of looking into the lies of the left propaganda machine.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
. If every day is a frenzy about what Trump is doing next then people could end up numb to it. We could become the boy who cried wolf.
I think that very thing has already happened with us conservatives.
We watched so many holler that Obama & Clinton would bring tolerance for all sorts of perversions, and scream about how if anyone disagreed then they were a hate filled intolerant bigot.
We knew we were not, and their cries got so outrageous that they started to fall on deaf ears.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think that very thing has already happened with us conservatives.
We watched so many holler that Obama & Clinton would bring tolerance for all sorts of perversions, and scream about how if anyone disagreed then they were a hate filled intolerant bigot.
We knew we were not, and their cries got so outrageous that they started to fall on deaf ears.

yep

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Too late. Its backfiring, i didnt vote for him, but now i support him because of looking into the lies of the left propaganda machine.

Tuesday February 7. 2017
President Trump falsely claims U.S. murder rate is at ‘45 to 47’-year high — but the facts prove he’s wrong!
... Trump said that the U.S. murder rate was the highest it had been "in 45 to 47 years" — a claim he had also made on the campaign trail numerous times.

"I'd say that in a speech and everybody was surprised because the press doesn't like to tell it like it is," Trump said during the meeting with sheriffs. "It wasn't to their advantage to say that. The murder rate is the highest it's been in 45 to 47 years."

According to the FBI, however, the estimated number of murders in 2015, the last year for which records are complete, was 15,696. That puts the murder rate at 4.9 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Those numbers are well below the national numbers provided by the FBI from 1970, 1971 and 1972, which would be 45 to 47 years ago, when the murder rates were 7.9, 8.6 and 9.0, per 100,000 people, respectively.

In fact, the national homicide rates spiked in 1980 — at 10.2 per 100,000 people — and 1991 — at 9.8 — but have steadily declined since the latter year.
Monday February 6th, 2017
Trump: 'Dishonest press' won't report terrorist attacks
[video]http://launch.newsinc.com/share.html?trackingGroup=91690&siteSection=thehill2300_nws_pol_sec&videoId=31947745[/video]
Trump Seems to Side With Russia in Comments on Ukraine
WASHINGTON — President Trump cast doubt on whether Moscow is backing separatists engaged in the recent escalation of fighting in eastern Ukraine, appearing to side with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, who has long denied involvement in the conflict despite evidence to the contrary.
Trump’s Comment On American ‘Killers’ Isn’t as Bad as You Think; It’s Worse
I didn’t think I’d ever see the day when a Republican president equated America with Russia — and did so in a way that echoed the worst of fever-swamp radical leftism. There has already been enough commentary on Trump’s headline-grabbing initial response to Bill O’Reilly’s claim that Vladimir Putin is a “killer.” Trump said, “There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers. Well, you think our country is so innocent?”

These are major examples of alternative facts that have coming from Trump just in the last 2 days!

Since we can no longer rely on reports by the "left propaganda machine," let "Angel4Truth" comment on their validity!

Last edited:

rexlunae

I simply can't think of a good reason to temper the reaction to Trump. Sure, there's a whole spectrum of severity of things to react to, although I think the author of your article is downplaying the significance of a lot of it. But we're building the resistance that is going to bring him down, powered by that reaction, following the template of the Tea Party. Why reign it in?

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I can watch pbs news all day now. The look on their faces...priceless. They went from hope to denial to hope which will lead to fear and then ultimately good old fashioned quietness hehehe

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
But I think critics should be honest and accurate about what they say and not blow things out of proportion.

the problem, kmo, is that left is still largely stuck on "hillary should have won! it's not fair! :baby: "

until they move past that, there's no hope for rationality

I can watch pbs news all day now. The look on their faces...priceless. They went from hope to denial to hope which will lead to fear and then ultimately good old fashioned quietness hehehe

i don't watch tv, but i've noticed the same progression on the CBC :thumb:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Tom Nichols: Chill, America. Not every Trump outrage is outrageous.

Just want to be sure, is this the same Tom Nichols who said that "Trump is an existential menace to our system of government?"

largely agree with this article and it's something I've tried to be careful about. I've gotten into some similar discussions recently. I think there is a lot to criticize about Trump. A lot worries me. But I think critics should be honest and accurate about what they say and not blow things out of proportion. If every day is a frenzy about what Trump is doing next then people could end up numb to it. We could become the boy who cried wolf.

I understand your concern, kmo. You're always thinking these things through, and I respect that.

But this is the media of our times, and in that sense you could say the volume of reports is a progressive counter to the screaming yellow headlines of Breitbart, Drudge et al. through eight years of Obama's presidency, and now some conservatives want to pretend they have the high road and they expect progressives to meet their bar of expectations.

Sounds like the conservatives are applying a little Alinsky. :)

The dignity of the office of president has been dragged down by the juvenile antics of Trump and his fellow travelers - historically so - and the news reflects this. If the daily White House briefing can be reduced to whether or not Trump wears a bathrobe, who knows where we'll be in four years.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
has never existed, except in the minds of those who choose to use the concept as a political arguing point

No, that's not true. It's just hard to find any semblance of George Washington in Trump.

Biographer Henry Cabot Lodge wrote: "Washington cared as little for vain shows as any man who ever lived, but he had the highest sense of personal dignity, and of the dignity of his cause and country. Neither should be allowed to suffer in his bands. He appreciated the effect on mankind of forms and titles, and with unerring judgment he insisted on what he knew to be of real value. It is one of the earliest examples of the dignity and good taste which were of such inestimable value to his country."7

Lodge was both a biographer and a politician. More than a century later similar thoughts were reported in the New York Times. "Washington absorbed, and later came to personify what you might call the dignity code. The code was based on the same premise as the nation's Constitution - that human beings are flawed creatures who live in constant peril of falling into disasters caused by their own passions. Artificial systems have to be created to balance and restrain their desires," wrote journalist David Brooks. "The dignity code commanded its followers to be disinterested - to endeavor to put national interests above personal interests. It commanded its followers to be reticent - to never degrade intimate emotions by parading them in public. It also commanded its followers to be dispassionate - to distrust rashness, zealotry, fury and political enthusiasm."8

Washington's regal reserve was obvious. Washington's great biographer, Douglas Southall Freeman, wrote: "Everything about him suggested the commander - height, bearing, flawless proportions, dignity of person, composure, and ability to create confidence by calmness and by unfailing, courteous dignity."9

George Washington possessed many leadership gifts, but one in particular was highlighted by John Adams, who said Washington had "the gift of silence." He knew better than to talk about things he did not know or engage in conversation with those who did not appreciate what he did. Historian Fritz Hirschfeld wrote: "Washington has been regarded by his contemporaries, as well as by historians and biographers of later generations, as a pillar of moral rectitude and integrity.

Washington's friends and admirers were legion in part because he managed his image well. Historian Garry Wills wrote: "During the early struggles of the nation, Washington was himself the unifying icon, the symbol of the whole process. He had to replace his own glamour with the more impersonal symbols of power - the Constitution, the flag, the officers of government, the courts. He learned an elaborate language of tact and protocol, receiving respect because of his office, not his person. He stripped away as soon as possible all emblems of his military glory."14

Danoh

the problem, kmo, is that left is still largely stuck on "hillary should have won! it's not fair! :baby: "

until they move past that, there's no hope for rationality...

Sort of like how Don the Con is still OBSSESSED with proving he would have won the Popular vote he LOST :chuckle:

You extremists - on all sides - you ever speak with a forked tongue.