USC and Stanford show coronavirus infection rates very high

Gary K

Banned
In two separate studies in two separate California counties using antibody testing USC and Stanford have shown that infection rates are 28 to 55 times higher than predicted. The implications of that is that coronavirus deaths per infections are much lower than thought. The Stanford study showed death rates at .12% to .2%. That's a lower death rate than from the flu. Can anyone say media driven panic?

The novel coronavirus has infected roughly 4.1 percent of the population in California’s Los Angeles County, suggesting the region’s outbreak is far more widespread than previously thought, between 28 and 55 times higher than the number of confirmed cases, new research shows, echoing the findings of a similar study elsewhere in the state.

However, the new data, if accurate, also indicates that the coronavirus death rate in L.A. County, the most populous in the country, is lower than initially predicted.

Researchers from the University of Southern California (USC) and the L.A. Department of Public Health gleaned the data from antibody testing of about 863 county residents. Antibodies are an indication that an individual’s immune system has responded to a past infection.

On Monday, CNBC reported:
USC and the health department released preliminary study results that found that roughly 4.1% of the county’s adult population has antibodies to the coronavirus, estimating that between 221,000 adults to 442,000 adults in the county have had the infection.

This new estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of Covid-19 [coronavirus illness] reported to the county in early April. The number of coronavirus-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600, according to the Department of Public Health. The data, if correct, would mean that the county’s fatality rate is lower than originally thought.​
If accurate, the top end of the estimated number of L.A. County residents who may have contracted the virus would amount to more than half (56 percent) of the total number of cases in the United States, while the lower range would equal to about 30 percent of the overall number in America.

Stanford University researchers who looked at California’s Santa Clara County, much less populated than its L.A. counterpart, reached similar conclusions, finding that the coronavirus outbreak may be more widespread but less deadly than originally estimated.

To read the rest of the article click here.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not surprising - a lot of people in the MSM have been comparing this "pandemic" with previous ones, like H1N1 and Spanish Flu without showing an understanding of data collected and analyzed AFTER a pandemic has run it's course and data collected and analyzed on the fly, while collection methods are evolving, while the disease is spreading, while our understanding of transmission, exposure, resistance, etc is evolving - it's one of the reasons the chicken littles like jgarden and eider are so easily manipulated into a frenzy - they have no understanding of the science or the stats, and so to them, any nuance is lost, any new little bit of apparent bad news is magnified in their minds, and they react emotionally

that's why I use a single source and even then realize its imperfect - here for example https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

even though their data might be deficient on any given day, there's a uniformity to their collection methods that should average that out

ok doser

The point is- a lot of people are sick or dying. Or hadn't you noticed?

Yes, they are - the question is "how many"?
What proportion of those who are exposed are dying?
What proportion of those who are infected are dying?
What proportion of those who exhibit moderate to severe symptoms are dying?

Italy, for example, has a death total of 24,114 and a total population of 60.36 million, giving a current death rate of 0.04%

Gary K

Banned
Not surprising - a lot of people in the MSM have been comparing this "pandemic" with previous ones, like H1N1 and Spanish Flu without showing an understanding of data collected and analyzed AFTER a pandemic has run it's course and data collected and analyzed on the fly, while collection methods are evolving, while the disease is spreading, while our understanding of transmission, exposure, resistance, etc is evolving - it's one of the reasons the chicken littles like jgarden and eider are so easily manipulated into a frenzy - they have no understanding of the science or the stats, and so to them, any nuance is lost, any new little bit of apparent bad news is magnified in their minds, and they react emotionally

that's why I use a single source and even then realize its imperfect - here for example https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

even though their data might be deficient on any given day, there's a uniformity to their collection methods that should average that out

That is the very reason the media and political left have been pounding fear at people at every opportunity. If they can scare the populace to the point they stop thinking the politicians can do anything they want to them. They can take away every liberty the populace has and the populace will beg them to do it.

I understand why non-Christians have this level of fear, but not Christians, and there are a lot of Christians displaying the same level of fear. All I have to do is read Psalm 91 and I am at peace and know I have nothing to fear.
Psalm 91:1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.*n2
14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

chair

Italy, for example, has a death total of 24,114 and a total population of 60.36 million, giving a current death rate of 0.04%
1.That is Italy as a whole. Some regions were hit much harder than others
2. That is Italy today. What about Italy in a month?
3. That is Italy with social distancing measures in place. What would it be like without?
4. That is a death rate over how long? A month? Two? What if that went on for two years?

ok doser

1.That is Italy as a whole. Some regions were hit much harder than others
2. That is Italy today. What about Italy in a month?
3. That is Italy with social distancing measures in place. What would it be like without?
4. That is a death rate over how long? A month? Two? What if that went on for two years?

All very good questions, likely to be fully answered only in the future

We have to base today's decisions on the information we have today

ok doser

Which we are finally doing.

the goal is, always has been and must be, a return to normal

the question is, how to achieve that?

I wore my first "mask" in public yesterday - tied a long winter scarf around my head - mandated by my governor, even though we have only 54 cases in my county - if that proves to be sufficient to slow the spread to a manageable level, do we go with that, everybody dressed like an outlaw ready to rob a train?

Last edited:

chair

the question is, how to achieve that?

I wore my first "mask" in public yesterday - tied a long winter scarf around my head - mandated by my governor, even though we have only 54 cases in my county - if that proves to be sufficient to slow the spread to a manageable level, do we go with that, everybody dressed like an outlaw ready to rob a train?

Yes, of course.

eider

Cloud cuckoo land for you! :D
You actually think that there will be a return to 'as before'?
I thought most Christians thought that 'as before' or 'mammon' was a wicked place, anyhow?

What a joke.......

ok doser

Cloud cuckoo land for you! :D
You actually think that there will be a return to 'as before'?
I thought most Christians thought that 'as before' or 'mammon' was a wicked place, anyhow?

What a joke.......

and Chicken Little pokes his feathered little head up, squawks "Teh Sky Is FallinG!" and takes cover again :darwinsm:

there there Chicken Little - hide under the covers and go back to sleep

eider

and Chicken Little pokes his feathered little head up, squawks "Teh Sky Is FallinG!" and takes cover again :darwinsm:

there there Chicken Little - hide under the covers and go back to sleep

Ah..... yes! I touched a nerve, I see. Hypocritical one? Dual standards?
Even Greta is chuckling at such as you......... Why? Well, the skies of the World are more clean than in many decades gone by.

But you think there will be an 'as before' and you with all your piety want to get back there as fast as you can.
See my avatar pic? Sure! :rotfl:

ok doser

Ah..... yes!

yes indeed :)

I touched a nerve, I see.

Ah..... yes! My funny bone!

Hypocritical one?

Nice to meet you! Have you met hypocritical two? You two are made for each other.
Dual standards?

Ah..... yes! Hypocritical one and Hypocritical two!

Even Greta is chuckling at such as you.........

Why on earth would I care what a mentally ill 17 year old Swedish girl in the tenth grade is chuckling about?

Is it Pokemons?

Because Pokemons are rad, dude.

Well, the skies of the World are more clean than in many decades gone by.

especially over China, land of the Pokemon ;)

But you think there will be an 'as before'

I do

What do you think there will be once this "pandemic" has run its course?

and you with all your piety

"all my piety"?? :freak:

oh dude :doh:

what a tell :nono:

delusional and furiously angry at Christians

not a good combination

want to get back there as fast as you can.

Yes, I do. My parents are in their mid-nineties and this may be the last summer my mother will be able to spend it at the family summer estate.

See my avatar pic?

your retarded avatar pic, of Charlie Manson gargling?

Sure! :rotfl:

Ah..... yes!

Last edited:

Lon

In two separate studies in two separate California counties using antibody testing USC and Stanford have shown that infection rates are 28 to 55 times higher than predicted. The implications of that is that coronavirus deaths per infections are much lower than thought. The Stanford study showed death rates at .12% to .2%. That's a lower death rate than from the flu. Can anyone say media driven panic?

To read the rest of the article click here.

I don't mind, if once in our lives we are thinking about the elderly and being careful to save them, it is probably worth it. Wouldn't some of our precautions speak toward the compared numbers though? Another consideration, having a few friends go through this, it is worse than the flu. It is a 'flu-on-steroids' quoting Trump. An aside note: One rumor in the news is that it was 'accidentally engineered' by China doing bat experiments. Likely? Probably not, but it is an interesting read among physician's literature, and a friend sent it my way to read today. -Lon

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Another consideration, having a few friends go through this, it is worse than the flu. It is a 'flu-on-steroids' quoting Trump.

You mean to say that the coronavirus is not a media driven panic after all? Well fancy that.

Reactions: Lon