Uncritical Acceptance of Atheist Nonsense Breeds Killers

alwight

This is nonsense Lon, war isn't simply a thing that just happens from time to time for no particular reason, it is symptomatic of man's personal endeavours and ambitions against those with their own.
You said 'no particular reason' and then immediately gave a reason, which was 'my' point. :doh:please leave 'nonsense' out of your qualifications, they say more about you and your logic than anything about me. Try to really look at those three fingers pointing back. I am not doing this interjection in thread to argue our clashing views. I'm doing so that perhaps 'you are wrong' might cause a moment of pause and you can see your own worldview as wrong. People need God. You need God.
If I think what you say is nonsense Lon I will say so, it's rather up to you to explain why my opinion of that is wrong, which I don't see any of that here btw.
I constantly examine my own position because I can change, whereas yours seems to be rather entrenched in following a system of belief rather than in something freely thought out and concluded by yourself alone. Preaching to me that I too need your particular belief system isn't going to change anything nor explain that I am out of control without it.
You started your reply here with a misrepresentation of what I said. Wars each have their own individual set of circumstances but they are not causes in themselves of war, I never suggested that there were no particular reasons.
If people need God, and arguably they may often think they do, then why does it have to be the one that you happen to believe in?

The fact that you may have "aced" your history classes doesn't exactly make you an authority for others to fall at your feet. :rolleyes:
Um, yes, it does. Sad when kids who don't ace their class try to assert. It really doesn't work. Relative truth is thoughtless, and grades say "wrong." "Facts of life" don't work for relativism, but it is none-the-less 'fact' verses made-up philosophizing.
Lon if you want respect for what you know and your ability to communicate it rather than gaining any glowing plaudits you say you have received, then you will need to demonstrate it, not just drone on about it. Go on, put me in my place. The object of life as I see it is to put your abilities into use as best you can, not to earn badges, or gold stars perhaps.

The Crusades was called for by the Pope in order to protect the right of Pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
Those who willingly left their home lands to do the Papal bidding in a strange place happily believed that if they were to die in a Holy war then the purpose of their life had been fulfilled, that their preferred place in the afterlife would have been secured risk-free and they wouldn't need to spend their life tilling the fields for someone else.
This answers the historical question: "What motivated some or many crusaders to join?" It does not answer the question "Were the Crusades substantiated by Christ?" Even an atheist should understand historically why there are Protestants today and how this question affects our separation from Rome. Luther was to soon be born and would post 95 problems with Roman Catholicism, mostly against the contrasts between what was happening, and comparing it to the biblical question "Is this substantiated by Christ and the Bible?"
Your doctrinal reasoning aside for a moment, have you never wondered that organised religion has wielded great powers to wage war in the past, so that even kings needed to claim that their authority was divine?
Whatever the truth about religious beliefs it seems to me that religion and kings have used that power as their own.

For similar reasons Muslims will strap on suicide bomb vests and why so many often blow themselves up regardless, even if they can't quite reach their optimum targets.
Both their objectives lie in the perceived next world, not this one.
Which is why I am Christian, not Muslim.
Many Christians are led to believe that this world is only a waiting room for the next and that salvation is its objective.

Atheists however are people who deal with this world only, who see no rational reason to suppose a greater cause exists beyond it, who don't go on religious pilgrimages or Hajjs, and who don't feel compelled to go to war just because someone else is perceived to be blocking one of their routes to eternal salvation.
Very true. That is why I said you must leave that ideology behind. It dehumanizes man and gives little reason other than utilitarian for mutually beneficial behavior. Such, however, isn't 'moral.' You are borrowing and thus inconsistent in your world-view. Atheism will always be logically and practically inconsistent. It is impossible that it could sustain without your borrowing values and meaning from godliness. Scripture says it is impossible for the unbeliever to comprehend imago deo (spiritual) principles, and you, yourself ▲ give the reason why. My only goal here is to point out that it is absolutely true. You reject every logical truth I take for granted as well as use effectively in life. Christianity, isn't just a faith, it is the foundation for logic itself because it is the only place relative truth cannot reside. Once your truth is relative, you are no longer capable of asserting logic, truth, and/or reason.
But I don't accept any of that as being in any way a requisite for being a functioning human being. Indeed humanity existed long before any organised religions came along to become an arguable lever of power and control. I know you won't want to consider that, but there it is. Religions are the borrowers from the evolved secular golden rules that most religions like to claim as their own, but aren't.

I realize there will be "nuh uh" as the response. That isn't my point. My point is that the contrast is true or we wouldn't be arguing it. One of us is wrong and the point is, because of our worldview, it 'must' be the other guy. -Lon
I usually tend to look for helpful facts and evidence to decide matters rather than wishful thinking and assertions Lon.

Lon

If I think what you say is nonsense Lon I will say so, it's rather up to you to explain why my opinion of that is wrong, which I don't see any of that here btw.
Just FYI, all the most brilliant men in the world were deists and Christians. Fact. Look it up. You were wrong, it wasn't nonsense and I'm not as brilliant as them but saw it right off... You said nonsense and I again assert such says more about you and your close-mindedness than it does about what I said. It certainly was not nonsense. That's too bad for you, not for me. It means you were ignorant and arrogant to say so.

I constantly examine my own position because I can change, whereas yours seems to be rather entrenched in following a system of belief rather than in something freely thought out and concluded by yourself alone.
As you must. It is the difference between our worldviews: absolute vs relativism.

Preaching to me that I too need your particular belief system isn't going to change anything nor explain that I am out of control without it.
Sure it does, your belief system isn't absolute, so you 'can' change to accept what is.

You started your reply here with a misrepresentation of what I said. Wars each have their own individual set of circumstances but they are not causes in themselves of war, I never suggested that there were no particular reasons.
If people need God, and arguably they may often think they do, then why does it have to be the one that you happen to believe in?

Because He is absolutely the one that exists. Even a Muslim is trying to believe in that God, but getting it wrong. Christianity is literally the only religion that has God coming and explaining to man in person.

Lon if you want respect for what you know and your ability to communicate it rather than gaining any glowing plaudits you say you have received, then you will need to demonstrate it, not just drone on about it. Go on, put me in my place. The object of life as I see it is to put your abilities into use as best you can, not to earn badges, or gold stars perhaps.
Again, the most brilliant men in the world have been deists and/or Christian. For the most part, atheists seem to 'think' they are smarter than the rest of us, use obscure college findings/statistics to try and show it, but it is simply not true. I notice you don't bother throwing your unrelated astrophysics degree (or whatever) out there. It does not brilliance make, especially if you didn't ace those classes. Yes you can work in that field, but that doesn't allow overt assertions on Christian theology forums. This IS my field of study, not your's. Disdain? Certainly, it is all I get. I don't care what you think of my degrees but rather put them out there as reasons why you should. It really is an ignorant man that would disdain them, and you do, otherwise it'd be a non-issue. Example: You and I get into a physicist disagreement, you, by example having that degree and then saying "You are wrong, this is my degree" would not be met by the same arrogance you portray here. It is a 'stop, listen, shut-up' sort of credential that I'd be a fool to shout-over. Atheist here returning the favor? :nono: You and others are actually offended at being called wrong, without the subject even being your field of study. Kinda audacious, doncha think? You are that guy. Of course so is Dawkins, Hawking, etc. They have degrees but then deem to speak on atheist issues. For them, it is amateur hour. Odd that. Hitchens too. All of them, not bothering to study, earn the right, just using their unrelated science platform to over-assert in areas they have no business asserting in. So yeah, I'm the 'arrogant' one :plain: :confused:

Your doctrinal reasoning aside for a moment, have you never wondered that organised religion has wielded great powers to wage war in the past, so that even kings needed to claim that their authority was divine?
Whatever the truth about religious beliefs it seems to me that religion and kings have used that power as their own.
Whatever comparison this is, it falls short of the greater questions and most often is used as uncritical scape-goating, and worse, by those 'scholars' just mentioned who have no business stating anything of the sort. A degree in astro-physics does not a philosopher/religious expert make. That is the real irony of Dawkins btw. He has no education to have written the God-delusion, none. Audacity....

Many Christians are led to believe that this world is only a waiting room for the next and that salvation is its objective.
Other than 'only' absolutely.

But I don't accept any of that as being in any way a requisite for being a functioning human being. Indeed humanity existed long before any organised religions came along to become an arguable lever of power and control. I know you won't want to consider that, but there it is. Religions are the borrowers from the evolved secular golden rules that most religions like to claim as their own, but aren't.
A few points: 1) that men more brilliant than I have said that a nation or man without Christ is doomed to fail. That's true. Secular government is driving the agenda right now. 2) A person without a history degree and without a religion degree, and without a philosophy degree, really shouldn't be over-asserting their opinion in our field of study. They really shouldn't. 3) No, you are wrong concerning the golden rule because the Christian rule is beyond that parameter, going so far as to say do good to even one's enemy as well as going beyond a self-centered interest to invest in the needs of others, over/against the comfort of self. That doesn't mean catering to selfishness, but rather meeting actual needs. That is why my church has a foodbank and why I volunteer there. It doesn't matter 'who' comes, but that I would serve in love, whoever they are. The action itself, is Christian that I need not preach the golden rule. They see rather the second of the commands of God in action. 4) How functional are you truly in society (contemplative question and makes no difference if not accepted on those terms)?

I usually tend to look for helpful facts and evidence to decide matters rather than wishful thinking and assertions Lon.
I don't really think you are open to that unless that view crushes your own. Again, the vast history of brilliant men were deists and/or Christian. It wasn't just their culture, they wrestled with the ideas themselves. We have their writings showing this to be true. Academic prowess may not break that veneer, but it is why I tend to start there with my credentials. I 'am' better educated than you and Dawkins and Hawking on this philosophical matter. The sad thing? You don't care. You really don't. You are as prideful and as arrogant as that, and you will 'think' I'm the one being so when I'm the one who actually has degrees in this stuff. :( You just called it 'wishful thinking' and 'assertion.' :(

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Rates of self-reported atheism:
United States 4%
Italy 7%
Portugal 12%
Sweden 85%
Denmark 80%
Norway 72%
Japanese 65%

Country Prisoners per 100,000 population
United States 716
Portugal 134
Italy 108
Norway 71
Sweden 67
Denmark 68
Japan 54

Countries by intentional homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants
United States 4.7
Portugal 1.2
Italy 0.9
Sweden 1.0
Norway 0.6
Denmark 0.9
Japan 0.4

https://www.quora.com/Are-atheists-more-or-less-likely-to-be-criminals-than-theists

Lon

Rates of self-reported atheism:
United States 4%
Italy 7%
Portugal 12%
Sweden 85%
Denmark 80%
Norway 72%
Japanese 65%

Country Prisoners per 100,000 population
United States 716
Portugal 134
Italy 108
Norway 71
Sweden 67
Denmark 68
Japan 54

Countries by intentional homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants
United States 4.7
Portugal 1.2
Italy 0.9
Sweden 1.0
Norway 0.6
Denmark 0.9
Japan 0.4

https://www.quora.com/Are-atheists-more-or-less-likely-to-be-criminals-than-theists
Case study vs research, raw data vs well organized information. We all want to see facts played out that reveal actual results. One of the things this guy tried to do, was compare unrelated raw data and use it to 'prove' something. I want to know more, such as if those countries that have 'less teen pregnancy' are also aborting more of them. We do know that Christians have similarities to the morals of the rest of society, but when those consequences occur, the way they respond to those consequences may well be given by the data, but wrongly tabulated here (I don't know, I just know you have to be really good at statistical analysis to interpret it all correctly). For this, I HAVE to see the raw data, not the drawn conclusions. I can draw my own and must. I can't take another's word on what raw data suggests. -

The sad thing:
Quora said:
All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.
Yes, a 'correlation' but not true as far as I'm concerned. Correlation is not consequential, but rather 'having something to do with.' It is only AFTER prayer, scripture, the Ten Commandments, were removed from schools and public life that we saw a huge rise in teen pregnancies, violence, etc. AND none of it tends to be kids from youth groups and Sunday School. It necessarily follows that such are the result of kids born and raised in the void of religious influence, not because of it.

I'd love for someone genuinely honest, to redress this raw data. I don't think it means what he thinks it means....

rexlunae

Well, this again is a comparison between education vs feeling mentally superior. I have a high IQ as well. I was calling into question your 'academic' prowess with the problematic usage of history, probably not the whole thread, I actually agree with a number of your points.

I've never once read a compelling argument that relies on the intelligence of any party. Ultimately, it's an appeal to authority/accomplishment, when it isn't even clear what authority would apply. So, if you want to challenge my arguments, take those on, but I really don't care how smart or not you are. I've had significant education myself, but I have no interest in engaging in a side-contest of who has the best academic record for discussing the topic, because it really can't reach a conclusive end, and I see no potential for reaching any useful insight from it.

Such is really the liberal and relativist revamping of history, you just happened to do about the same thing.

It's funny that you accuse me of relativism, because the list that I posted objectively happened, and it isn't all that controversial.

Such is an understood defense mechanism when atheist don't want blamed for all things either. As a representative from your group, those statistics are your associates so while I understand not wanting to be associated with attrocity, perhaps the OP is aiming at the liberal dismantling and attacking of Christianity and religion in general.

Truthfully, I hadn't read or considered the OP until my last post to you. Naz is on my ignore list, although I sometimes read his posts anyway. My posts were in response to a particular point being advanced by brewmama.

We are not supposed to be a secular society.

Our Constitution disagrees with you.

We never have been but are approaching that threshold. It will continue to produce a moral dilemma as well as create more tribalism.

I don't see this connection between secularism and tribalism that you seem to. To my mind, whereas it's pretty easy to find tribalism in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, it's downright irrational otherwise.

We cannot sustain a society that isn't a melting pot.

I think "melting pot" is more an ideal of what the US could be than a reality. Certainly, we're a nation of many people from many different places, but we are also a nation derived from racist slavery, and organized white supremacy, constructed deliberately segregated on racial lines. And we have a pattern, over multiple generations, of suspicion on different groups of immigrants, whether it's the Chinese and Japanese, Irish, Italians, people from the Middle East, Mexicans and other Hispanic people, it seems like any group that finds itself a minority gets its turn to be the object of discrimination and fear-mongering.

Christianity cannot be the one that melts. We make up the entire history of the United States. A change in that will produce something completely else.

That's actually quite offensive. When white Christians arrived on this continent, there were already a lot of people here who weren't Christians. You just swept them from history.

But beyond that, the comment idealizes a reality that never was, and certainly won't be forever.

There is very little in the way of comparison between current atrocity and historical war and persecution. One was done for a purpose, but now it is being done because of the lack of one. ... However, some of your dialogue here actually redresses the OP much better and so I both applaud that and appreciate the meaningful from it.

You're revealing your cultural perspective (i.e. relativism). Christian actions that were absolutely abominable are excused as having been done for "a purpose" (which was often money), whereas the actions of others are assumed to be motivated by incomprehensible impulses. But of course, if you ask them, they will give you reasons for what they are doing. They may not be very relateable, and in the case of Daesh are quite nihilistic, but I'm not sure it actually makes a big difference how you stack those up.

Muslims are different from that, but their philosophy is survival of the fittest, especially among extremists.

Survival of the fittest? Well, if you're referring to terrorist organizations like Daesh and al Qaeda, they don't even want to survive. Other than that, I don't think you can ascribe an overarching agenda to all of Islam, but I'm certain that survival of the fittest is not a part of it.

Yep, debate, philosophy. All A's but one B+ which was from an atheist philosopher.

Ah, well, I did my upper-level philosophy classes with a Presbyterian professor, not that he made that much a part of the classes. A minister, in fact. Good guy. The best part about those classes was the diversity of actually intelligent thought among the students, though.

I didn't. I realize you 'think' I did, and that it rankled you, but I rather declared your education was not on par with historical fact.

You don't know anything about my education, Lon. I'm prepared to be corrected on the facts if I'm mistaken, as I would hope any honest scholar would be, but I'm not interested in being talked down to baselessly.

That was it. I said rather, on history, I believe I'm better educated than you but history is but one subject.

I'm still rather baffled at that assumption. But it's neither here nor there, ultimately.

If you recall, I said you'd think you were smarter, and I just think I'm better educated.

I recall you saying that. I don't recall ever saying anything about being smarter, however. That's you projecting. What I think is that the stupidest person in the world could potentially correct an error made by the smartest, so it's no argument either way.

Philosophy did teach logic, and I believe I've a handle on it and said as much before you even redressed to confirm those were likely valid observations of mine :think:

Do you recall hearing anything in your studies of logic about the appeal to authority fallacy?

You don't like them? Emphasis, simply because italics nor bold work as well in forum and I'm on a laptop lately.

It's not that I don't like them. It's just that that isn't normally what they are used for, so it wasn't clear what you meant by them. You can manually enter bold and italics markup.

I 'think' just poor example video to his premise but a couple of other things too, I'd probably agree with a number of your points, I was more agendizing, but not meaning to, from that ABC interview with the Muslim also trying to rewrite history and current events (really my only contention and I didn't mean to make you shoulder the world on that faulty line of historical inaccuracy too, just do something pronounced to affect the perception problem so apology if too overt-over the top).

We all have a particular perspective. Christians often have blind spots about the history of their religion. Muslims do too. I'm prepared to accept that I may have blind spots as well, but I would want to see the demonstration.

It is the basis for that thought. Would you say Atheism is 'other-centered?' :think:

Well, no. Atheism is a non-thing. It's the lack of a religion, so it really can't have positive attributes at all. You could argue that atheism therefore lacks Christianity's emphasis on others, but I would counter that Christianity's focus on the well-being of other people is often more theoretical that real, and can end tend toward paternalism, if, say, a Christian doesn't approve of the sexuality of someone else.

Let me rephrase then: "It is not just a blanket statement, as in a platitude, but something data overwhelmingly supports."

What data, specifically?

A plethora. Compilations of data show that Christians out-give all others 7 X's over and exponentially beyond atheists who give the least of any group.

I'd like to see that data, and not just bulk statistics about total charitable giving, but also what causes they give for. Because one thing that often happens is that Christian contributions given to their churches are often counted.

Well, understand at that point I was asking myself if I really care about you, and I do. I was just thinking what I 'can' do with my funds and you are correct it is a bit out of line with the OP, but if you really think about it a bit longer, it actually runs along the undercurrents of its concern: How we value and treat other human beings. I think "first do no harm, then do as you will" doesn't live up to the golden rule.

Well, it's worth noting that that phrasing isn't atheist in origin. It's actually Wiccan. I rather like it though.

I suppose you could argue that it's not clear that it's meant to prescribe positive action. But that comes down to interpretation, and I think there's latitude to interpret it either way, which is what all people do with moral precepts anyway.

It is more about a friend with a sincere need and my own desire/need to do whatever I can to help.

I hope your friend gets his surgery. It's sad that the state of affairs in our country is that so paltry a sum of money could decide life or death.

Recent events, current events have community and genuine concern on my mind. I think yet, one of the more sincere expressions of Christianity that convinces any that God exists, is a genuine love. In that, and after seeing to Steve among other great needs, I'm sincere in giving resources. So yeah, if you have a need, let me know. I'm trying to be that kind of guy, love is the answer to almost all of the mess in the world. -Lon

I hope you understand that I am not maligning Christian charity. In fact, it is one of the honorable traits of Christianity that it encourages regard for others. I just ask that you keep it in perspective relative to other cultures and groups, as well as Christianity's checkered past. I don't think any of us have a right to be smug because of our group identities, whatever they might be.

Lon

I've never once read a compelling argument that relies on the intelligence of any party. Ultimately, it's an appeal to authority/accomplishment, when it isn't even clear what authority would apply. So, if you want to challenge my arguments, take those on, but I really don't care how smart or not you are. I've had significant education myself, but I have no interest in engaging in a side-contest of who has the best academic record for discussing the topic, because it really can't reach a conclusive end, and I see no potential for reaching any useful insight from it.
:nono: That IS relativism. That'd be like me saying your grades in astrophysics doesn't matter and I, without them should be allowed in the space program. You are logically inconsistent here, because I do have the education. History is not used the way you 'think' it is used and thus I hold your 'education' suspect for abusing it so. You can assert otherwise, but I know pretty well that history is not your strong suit or you wouldn't have abused it. That means education and prowess in that education really does trump the amateur.

It's funny that you accuse me of relativism, because the list that I posted objectively happened, and it isn't all that controversial.
Your 'take' isn't controversial, it is wrong. Flat out. Listen or don't. This again is your audacity over-asserting into an area you obviously haven't studied and obviously don't care about to abuse in this fashion. Your comparison is erroneous so I'd call that an embrace of relative truth with scape-goating agenda. However:

Truthfully, I hadn't read or considered the OP until my last post to you. Naz is on my ignore list, although I sometimes read his posts anyway. My posts were in response to a particular point being advanced by brewmama.
The fact that the video didn't support atheists killing people may be an oversight or perhaps Naz was aiming at the fact that anti-theists have been attacking all influence of religion from society. That leaves an ugly wake of nothing and no-purpose, which in turn makes for an aimless society that may very well value life less.

Our Constitution disagrees with you.
Um, no, read my sig. It even has the doh icon. The Constitution was simply trying not to abuse another's religion. There is NO WAY we can live together if you cannot put up with my expressions of faith or more specifically, the genuine values portrayed by them. Tell me truly, Does "Merry Christmas" really affect separation of church and state? I don't believe it does. Only Affirmative Action for all minorities has started attacking the base of American belief and values. That attack is leaving casualities, whether by bullets or ink doesn't matter, they both end with lost life and value.

I don't see this connection between secularism and tribalism that you seem to.
"Us/them." It is a tension that must exist, and I too embrace it, but in the end, my philosophy, while rejecting the philosophy, does seek to keep the person. We really aren't witch-hunting this century, just trying to retain values we really do believe are good for society as well as embrace ourselves.

To my mind, whereas it's pretty easy to find tribalism in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, it's downright irrational otherwise.
We are supposed to 'learn from' the Old Testament, not go and do likewise. MADists on TOL repeat this often enough that I don't think we should overtly apply. Today, I support Israel, but land isn't what I'm after so a lot of the wartime conveyance in the OT isn't for us today AND they weren't wrong for doing it then. Think of the Old West. One of us would be in jail if we dueled today. The law used to look the other way but challenging you outside the saloon in the street, while we can appreciate the points and why it happened, isn't how we do things today but it wasn't wrong in that day - it was at times, the only thing they could do.

I think "melting pot" is more an ideal of what the US could be than a reality. Certainly, we're a nation of many people from many different places, but we are also a nation derived from racist slavery, and organized white supremacy, constructed deliberately segregated on racial lines. And we have a pattern, over multiple generations, of suspicion on different groups of immigrants, whether it's the Chinese and Japanese, Irish, Italians, people from the Middle East, Mexicans and other Hispanic people, it seems like any group that finds itself a minority gets its turn to be the object of discrimination and fear-mongering.
We HAVE to find commonality or we can't exist. That is the lesson from every fallen government. The Roman Empire fell, but we still have Italians. There has to be a binding, so the strong-hand of a melting pot isn't always a bad thing. Harsh, yes, but it has to happen. There is no way we can exist well if we are not unified. Right now, minority colors are mixed but we must find something of commonality and value or there is no reason any longer to 'come to America.' "Opportunity" is a selling feature of bonding and unity, but us/them tribalism has to give way to 'us.' Somehow we have to get there. The TOL-atheist version has been "Yay! No more Christians!" That'd be a bloody, violent way to go and literally advocates the removal of blacks, whites, Hispanics,

That's actually quite offensive. When white Christians arrived on this continent, there were already a lot of people here who weren't Christians. You just swept them from history.

:nono: I've a lot of Native blood, you? If not, your offense doesn't mean a lot. We were talking about the history of the United States, not the History of America. Know the difference? Many natives are Christians. Not only is my Great Great Grandmother, full-blood, but I've served many of these in my church as well. You trying to take offense for me is noble, but misplaced, both historically and culturally. Our cemetery is an 'Christian Indian' cemetery.

But beyond that, the comment idealizes a reality that never was, and certainly won't be forever.

You took offense rather than paid attention. The only way for Christianity to not be forever, is by violence. Even Europe has churches yet, even the most atheistic ones. I simply said that the "United States" would cease being what we have been up to this point, and that is certainly true. Question: Do you desire it by usurping and fighting or by better means? I do not envision atheism being much beyond the small percentages in America but an Oligarchy can certainly do mass damage.

You're revealing your cultural perspective (i.e. relativism). Christian actions that were absolutely abominable are excused as having been done for "a purpose" (which was often money), whereas the actions of others are assumed to be motivated by incomprehensible impulses. But of course, if you ask them, they will give you reasons for what they are doing. They may not be very relateable, and in the case of Daesh are quite nihilistic, but I'm not sure it actually makes a big difference how you stack those up.
No, I rather am relating what historical commentary allows and what it does not. We know there are substantiated reasons for fighting. We support having police and military for the most part. We don't however, support atrocity, and that's the point here. I am not sure Europe had a choice but to go on the Crusades. It is somewhat like today, in that we have to do something about Muslim extremists. When history looks at us exploiting the situation, they will probably say we have some blame here, but they are attacking the bottom line rather than the direct line of who they might blame and it is certainly true that they have embraced portions of their religion to justify those attacks. Conversely, the removal of Christian influence in America is tied to the rise in what is meaningless in comparison.

Survival of the fittest? Well, if you're referring to terrorist organizations like Daesh and al Qaeda, they don't even want to survive. Other than that, I don't think you can ascribe an overarching agenda to all of Islam, but I'm certain that survival of the fittest is not a part of it.
Mortal conflict is always a survival of the fittest in result.

Ah, well, I did my upper-level philosophy classes with a Presbyterian professor, not that he made that much a part of the classes. A minister, in fact. Good guy. The best part about those classes was the diversity of actually intelligent thought among the students, though.
I think you have some grasp on philosophy principles, but, for what it is worth, atheism handicaps the broad category and limits its expression because it literally denies over half of its precepts.

You don't know anything about my education, Lon. I'm prepared to be corrected on the facts if I'm mistaken, as I would hope any honest scholar would be, but I'm not interested in being talked down to baselessly.
Again, you make statements beyond historical prowess. That indeed, is a problematic education.
I'm still rather baffled at that assumption. But it's neither here nor there, ultimately.
You make a lot of historical blunders with erroneous assessment. Instead of being baffled, you could listen to someone who has spent a lot of time in history.

I recall you saying that. I don't recall ever saying anything about being smarter, however. That's you projecting. What I think is that the stupidest person in the world could potentially correct an error made by the smartest, so it's no argument either way.
It is. While you give me instruction below on mark-up language, that doesn't automatically mean you get to teach the class or are allowed to tutor. It doesn't even mean someone is necessarily helpful in the correction.

Do you recall hearing anything in your studies of logic about the appeal to authority fallacy?
Yes, but think further, the one asserting the fallacy was appealing to authority for you to accept it, and imho, blind to counterfactuals. The only thing the fallacy given is good for (though over-used and abused) is to remind people that authority isn't "always" right. That said, I will go to the ten year astrophysicist or the specialist doctor, which is indeed a deference to authority and prowess. Your parents were most often right when they said "because I said so." It may not suffice, but essentially that is what my appeal is as well. The fallacy is over-abused thus wrong, a philosophical sleight-of-hand for rejection.

It's not that I don't like them. It's just that that isn't normally what they are used for, so it wasn't clear what you meant by them. You can manually enter bold and italics markup.
Nothing but agreement on this, though there could be keyboard frustration on my side over compliance (my son has my desktop so I'm trying to 'make-due.' :Z

We all have a particular perspective. Christians often have blind spots about the history of their religion. Muslims do too. I'm prepared to accept that I may have blind spots as well, but I would want to see the demonstration.
The discussion could be over on that note :) :up:

Well, no. Atheism is a non-thing.
Sin is essentially the same, a privation, so I understand the concept here.

It's the lack of a religion, so it really can't have positive attributes at all.
That is why it is problematic, it leaves a voided wake. If kids are no longer taught 'why' it is wrong to do an 'evil' (emphasis rather than {I} {/I} six more strokes!), they have no reason to refrain from doing so. Christianity isn't the only one that does, but again, we are talking about a void left in a wake of removal. It was actually wrong to take the Ten Commandments off the walls.

You could argue that atheism therefore lacks Christianity's emphasis on others, but I would counter that Christianity's focus on the well-being of other people is often more theoretical that real, and can end tend toward paternalism, if, say, a Christian doesn't approve of the sexuality of someone else.
Paternal, yes but more theoretical? :nono: Dead wrong. Yes I can and often do easily substantiate that. In comparison, I volunteered about 6 hours last month giving food to needy people. You? How about $? In addition, $ trails are really easy to follow. We really do out-give our counterparts. Maybe that is a really hard pill for atheists to swallow given that I have to overtly repeat this line of conversation so often, but I really wonder where your head can be at, that you'd ignore statistics and likely your own actions in comparison. It is flat-out crazy to even suggest as much after such contemplation. How could you possibly say 'theoretical' at that point? I realize your atheism isn't always 'against' religion by intent, but your neutral stance isn't neutral either, it has and leaves consequences. This goes back to support what I said. It is more about atheism not contributing positively. You just said as much so it is water under the bridge at this point, but I would like to challenge you to think about positively contributing to society where laws removing positive messages simply because they were from someone religious, had left behind. It is really strange to take "thou shalt not kill" off of a wall. It was, in fact, psychotic.

What data, specifically?
There is a ton but here for instance. That and, to date, I contribute a lot and have found most on TOL cannot talk about their efforts and contributions, because they don't. In effect, their lack of positive influence in religious choice also crosses into their actual lives and sentiment without effort or sacrifice. Makes sense in the end. Richard Dawkins raised money, oddly, given that he's a millionaire, and donated the money to 'converting.' Great humanitarian work??? :think: again, the information is out there and it doesn't take long to see who is paying for food, shelter, water, medicine and other needs vs desires and philosophies. If I remember right, it took Dawkins a long time to get that million.

I'd like to see that data, and not just bulk statistics about total charitable giving, but also what causes they give for. Because one thing that often happens is that Christian contributions given to their churches are often counted.
It is, but again, through organizations like Compassion Int. I've personally give tens of thousands specifically to individual children I sponsored. I continue to volunteer at the food bank where Christian, Muslim, or Atheist (yes we have some) freely come. Don't look to naysay such, it is a poor use of analysis and actually spiteful imho. There is no reason to second-guess people actually doing beautiful things. I suppose if you doubt it, but do you really? Sure there are abusers out there. That's sad too. I realize there are bad politicians but I'd like to think there are a lot of good ones. Am I naïve? Is there something in the atheist psyche that precludes such?

Well, it's worth noting that that phrasing isn't atheist in origin. It's actually Wiccan. I rather like it though.
It is also in Anton Lavey's book.

I suppose you could argue that it's not clear that it's meant to prescribe positive action. But that comes down to interpretation, and I think there's latitude to interpret it either way, which is what all people do with moral precepts anyway.
I think whether that interpretation is noble and otherly or self-excusing is an important consideration.

I hope your friend gets his surgery. It's sad that the state of affairs in our country is that so paltry a sum of money could decide life or death.
Thank you for this, and the next, sincerely. Both are heavy on my mind.

I hope you understand that I am not maligning Christian charity. In fact, it is one of the honorable traits of Christianity that it encourages regard for others.
Thanks here too.
I just ask that you keep it in perspective relative to other cultures and groups, as well as Christianity's checkered past. I don't think any of us have a right to be smug because of our group identities, whatever they might be.
We oddly, are allowing natives to sue the government for things neither they nor we experienced. I don't think you should blame 'this' white boy for what 'another white boy' did. I have nothing to do with him. I don't mind helping out the tribe at their request, but suing me? Likewise, I don't mind helping a black person either, nor a white on hard times. I, however, don't want you blaming me for slavery. Likewise, any historical reference to the Catholic church, which is twice-removed by generation AND Reformation, must be seen as me being a 'different kind of Christian' than perhaps my ancestors as well as realizing that we have to be very careful about 'importing' values into another harsher culture. I readily admit that 'our' culture has us not understanding theirs and seeing it as brutal. It was. How do we reconcile? Well, in many ways, we don't. We rather understand they really did have different values. You can judge them for what they did, I'm not saying that. I'm saying rather that you can't say 'in the name of Christianity' as if Christianity today is affiliated with those actions, any more than you can say "Southern today" is directly affiliated with slavery. What you 'can' and should say, is that a current happening is a consequence of other current happenings and events. I can rightly say, for instance, that atheists have killed more people in history, than any other philosophy. That does not mean, however, that ever Atheist would do the same thing, given the opportunity. Rather, there is some connection between 'godlessness' (removal as well as atheism) and how society behaves. You could turn around and blame Christians for 'allowing' it to happen. We could certainly have had another civil war before we allowed bible verses to be removed or prayer to be removed, realizing ahead of time, that a void would cause this kind of problem. I'm not sure how the blame-game works though, I'm still trying to be wise as a serpent, but gentle as a dove. -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yep, I obviously think I'm more educated than you, and you think you are 'smarter' than me, but without the education to back it up. You prove the point:

A's and occasional B's, you? It really does separate the men from the boys and you are wrong. That's the end of this part of the discussion. If you want to learn from your betters, great. If not, it is a great contrasting point between my accolades and your random and inane assertions. You are wrong, I'm right, that's the end on this particular history discussion.

:freak:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I volunteered about 6 hours last month giving food to needy people. That and, to date, I contribute a lot and have found most on TOL cannot talk about their efforts and contributions, because they don't.

It is, but again, through organizations like Compassion Int. I've personally give tens of thousands specifically to individual children I sponsored. I continue to volunteer at the food bank where Christian, Muslim, or Atheist (yes we have some) freely come.

There is no reason to second-guess people actually doing beautiful things.

What happened to the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
They may tell themselves that in their narcissistic torpor, but the fact that they're still around indicates otherwise.

za-number-annual-suicides-2000-2007-us-v-ca.png

256,000 of them aren't still around

CherubRam

This is absolutely ludicrous ! It's based on false premises . Atheists tend to be the LEAST violent and fanatical people . The notion that you can only be moral if you believe in a God is ludicrous .
Stalin and Mao Zedong were not murderous , ruthless tyrants because they were atheists but because they were ruthless , power-hungry psychopaths who just happened to be atheists, and there have been plenty of these in organized religion .
You don't need to believe in a God to be a good person at all, and believing in one is no guarantee whatsoever of being a good person .
I'm an agnostic , not a dogmatic atheist . I don't fall;ow any particular religion but come from a nominally Jewish family which was never really observant .
Nobody had to tell me it's wrong to use violence against people . This has always been self-evident .
Both Christians and Muslims have slaughtered countless people over the centuries in the name of a deity .

Catholics have slaughtered countless people over the centuries. The original Christians were killed off by the Catholics.

Enoch 89:5. I also cried out, and groaned in my sleep against the shepherd which overlooked the flock. 6. And I looked, while the sheep were eaten up by the dogs, by the eagles, and by the kites. They neither left them their body, nor their skin, nor their muscles, until their bones alone remained; and until their bones fell
upon the ground. And the sheep became very few.

brewmama

Catholics have slaughtered countless people over the centuries. The original Christians were killed off by the Catholics.

Enoch 89:5. I also cried out, and groaned in my sleep against the shepherd which overlooked the flock. 6. And I looked, while the sheep were eaten up by the dogs, by the eagles, and by the kites. They neither left them their body, nor their skin, nor their muscles, until their bones alone remained; and until their bones fell
upon the ground. And the sheep became very few.

You're insane.

brewmama

That may be how it seems to you but the culture and control of any region is complex beyond religion. If Christians choose to feel defensive about a line they drew in the sand then the term "defensive" is only a subjective matter of opinion.

That is something that I could equally conclude to being a baseless delusion and not much of a leap from wanting to be killed for it.

So you're an anti-border guy, huh, and whoever is there at the moment wins? If Muslims storm Europe and take over that's AOK with you? And you certainly support Israel?

CherubRam

“We confess that the Pope has power of changing Scripture and of adding to it, and taking from it, according to his will.” Roman Catholic Confessions for Protestants Oath, Article XI, (Confessio Romano-Catholica in Hungaria Evangelicis publice praescripta te proposita, editi a Streitwolf), as recorded in Congressional Record of the U.S.A., House Bill 1523, Contested election case of Eugene C. Bonniwell, against Thos. S. Butler, Feb. 15, 1913.

“We hold upon this earth the place of God almighty.” — Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter, June 20, 1894.

“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.” — Catholic National, July 1895.

“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.” — Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, “Cities Petrus Bertanous.”

“When confronted with heresy, she (Catholic Church) does not content herself with persuasion, arguments of an intellectual and moral order appear to her insufficient, and she has recourse to force, to corporal punishment, to torture.” — The Rector of the Catholic Institute of Paris, H.M.A. Baudrillart, quoted in The Catholic Church, The Renassance, and Protestantism,p 182-183.

“The church may by divine right confiscate the property of heretics, imprison their person, and condemn them to flames. In our age, the right to inflict the severest penalties, even death, belongs to the church. There is no graver offense than heresy, therefore it must be rooted out.” — Public Eccliastical, Vol. 2, p.142.

“The priest has the power of the keys, or the power of delivering sinners from hell, of making them worthy of paradise and of changing them from the slaves of Satan into the children of God. And God himself is obliged to abide by the judgment of His priests. … ‘The Sovereign Master of the universe only follows the servant by confirming in heaven all that the latter decides upon earth.” – “Dignity and Duties of the Priest,” St. Alphonsus de Liguori, pp. 27, 28. New York: Benziger Brothers, 1888.

Pope Innocent III (1198-1216) wrote: “We may according to the fullness of our power, dispose of the law and dispense above the law. Those whom the Pope of Rome doth separate, it is not a man that separates them but God. For the Pope holdeth place on earth, not simply of a man but of the true God.” (1 Book of Gregory 9 Decret. c.3)

Pope Nicholas said of himself: “I am in all and above all, so that God Himself and I, the vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do…wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God, what do you make of me but God? Again, if prelates of the Church be called of Constantine for gods, I then being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be above all gods. Wherefore, no marvel, if it be in my power to dispense with all things, yea with the precepts of Christ.” (Decret. par. Distinct 96 ch. 7 edit. Lugo 1661)

The RC New York catechism states: “The Pope takes the place of Jesus Christ on earth…by divine right the Pope has supreme and full power in faith, in morals over each and every pastor and his flock. He is the true vicar, the head of the entire church, the father and teacher of all Christians. He is the infallible ruler, the founder of dogmas, the author of and the judge of councils; the universal ruler of truth, the arbiter of the world, the supreme judge of heaven and earth, the judge of all, being judged by no one, God himself on earth.”

The title “Lord God the Pope” – these words appeared in the Canon Law of Rome. “To believe that our Lord God the Pope has not the power to decree as he is decreed, is to be deemed heretical.” (The Gloss extravagances of Pope John XXII ***. Inter, tit XIV Ad Callem Sexti Decretalium, Paris, 1685)

“To pardon a single sin requires all the omnipotence of God…The Jews justly said: ‘Who can forgive sins but God alone?’ But what only GOD can do by His omnipotence, the PRIEST can ALSO do by saying ‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’ [I absolve you from your sin].” — Alphonsus de Liguori, Dignity and Duties of the Priest, pages 34-35.

“Unlike the rest of the children of Adam, the soul of Mary was never subject to sin. “Faith of Our Fathers,” Cardinal Gibbons, pp. 203, 204. Baltimore: 1885.

The Sainted Doctor Alphonsus de Liguori says: “The merits of Jesus, shall be dispensed through the hands and by the intercession of Mary. “Glories of Mary,” p. 180, New Revised Edition. New York: P. J. Kenedy and Sons, 1888.

“God has chosen to bestow no grace upon us but by the hands of Mary.” – Id., p. 180.

“Whoever asks and wishes to obtain graces without the intercession of Mary, attempts to fly without wings.’ – Id., p. 189.

“All those who are saved, are saved solely by means of this divine mother; … the salvation of all depends upon preaching Mary” – Id., pp. 19, 20.

CherubRam

in·qui·si·tion
ˌinkwiˈziSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: inquisition; plural noun: inquisitions; singular proper noun: Inquisition; noun: the Inquisition

a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation.
"she relented in her determined inquisition and offered help"
synonyms: interrogation, questioning, quizzing, cross-examination; More
investigation, inquiry, inquest, hearing;
informalgrilling;
examination
"what started as a few friendly questions soon turned into a not-so-friendly inquisition"
historical
a judicial or official inquiry.
the verdict or finding of an official inquiry.
an ecclesiastical tribunal established by Pope Gregory IX circa 1232 for the suppression of heresy. It was active chiefly in northern Italy and southern France, becoming notorious for the use of torture and death. In 1542 the papal Inquisition was re-established to combat Protestantism, eventually becoming an organ of papal government.

brewmama

“We confess that the Pope has power of changing Scripture and of adding to it, and taking from it, according to his will.” Roman Catholic Confessions for Protestants Oath, Article XI, (Confessio Romano-Catholica in Hungaria Evangelicis publice praescripta te proposita, editi a Streitwolf), as recorded in Congressional Record of the U.S.A., House Bill 1523, Contested election case of Eugene C. Bonniwell, against Thos. S. Butler, Feb. 15, 1913.

“We hold upon this earth the place of God almighty.” — Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter, June 20, 1894.

“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.” — Catholic National, July 1895.

“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.” — Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, “Cities Petrus Bertanous.”

“When confronted with heresy, she (Catholic Church) does not content herself with persuasion, arguments of an intellectual and moral order appear to her insufficient, and she has recourse to force, to corporal punishment, to torture.” — The Rector of the Catholic Institute of Paris, H.M.A. Baudrillart, quoted in The Catholic Church, The Renassance, and Protestantism,p 182-183.

“The church may by divine right confiscate the property of heretics, imprison their person, and condemn them to flames. In our age, the right to inflict the severest penalties, even death, belongs to the church. There is no graver offense than heresy, therefore it must be rooted out.” — Public Eccliastical, Vol. 2, p.142.

“The priest has the power of the keys, or the power of delivering sinners from hell, of making them worthy of paradise and of changing them from the slaves of Satan into the children of God. And God himself is obliged to abide by the judgment of His priests. … ‘The Sovereign Master of the universe only follows the servant by confirming in heaven all that the latter decides upon earth.” – “Dignity and Duties of the Priest,” St. Alphonsus de Liguori, pp. 27, 28. New York: Benziger Brothers, 1888.

Pope Innocent III (1198-1216) wrote: “We may according to the fullness of our power, dispose of the law and dispense above the law. Those whom the Pope of Rome doth separate, it is not a man that separates them but God. For the Pope holdeth place on earth, not simply of a man but of the true God.” (1 Book of Gregory 9 Decret. c.3)

Pope Nicholas said of himself: “I am in all and above all, so that God Himself and I, the vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do…wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God, what do you make of me but God? Again, if prelates of the Church be called of Constantine for gods, I then being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be above all gods. Wherefore, no marvel, if it be in my power to dispense with all things, yea with the precepts of Christ.” (Decret. par. Distinct 96 ch. 7 edit. Lugo 1661)

The RC New York catechism states: “The Pope takes the place of Jesus Christ on earth…by divine right the Pope has supreme and full power in faith, in morals over each and every pastor and his flock. He is the true vicar, the head of the entire church, the father and teacher of all Christians. He is the infallible ruler, the founder of dogmas, the author of and the judge of councils; the universal ruler of truth, the arbiter of the world, the supreme judge of heaven and earth, the judge of all, being judged by no one, God himself on earth.”

The title “Lord God the Pope” – these words appeared in the Canon Law of Rome. “To believe that our Lord God the Pope has not the power to decree as he is decreed, is to be deemed heretical.” (The Gloss extravagances of Pope John XXII ***. Inter, tit XIV Ad Callem Sexti Decretalium, Paris, 1685)

“To pardon a single sin requires all the omnipotence of God…The Jews justly said: ‘Who can forgive sins but God alone?’ But what only GOD can do by His omnipotence, the PRIEST can ALSO do by saying ‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’ [I absolve you from your sin].” — Alphonsus de Liguori, Dignity and Duties of the Priest, pages 34-35.

“Unlike the rest of the children of Adam, the soul of Mary was never subject to sin. “Faith of Our Fathers,” Cardinal Gibbons, pp. 203, 204. Baltimore: 1885.

The Sainted Doctor Alphonsus de Liguori says: “The merits of Jesus, shall be dispensed through the hands and by the intercession of Mary. “Glories of Mary,” p. 180, New Revised Edition. New York: P. J. Kenedy and Sons, 1888.

“God has chosen to bestow no grace upon us but by the hands of Mary.” – Id., p. 180.

“Whoever asks and wishes to obtain graces without the intercession of Mary, attempts to fly without wings.’ – Id., p. 189.

“All those who are saved, are saved solely by means of this divine mother; … the salvation of all depends upon preaching Mary” – Id., pp. 19, 20.

And all of this blather has what to do with this comment?

"Catholics have slaughtered countless people over the centuries. The original Christians were killed off by the Catholics."

CherubRam

And all of this blather has what to do with this comment?

"Catholics have slaughtered countless people over the centuries. The original Christians were killed off by the Catholics."

The original Christians were opposed to the Catholics and their claims. That is why the Pagan Catholics killed them.

brewmama

in·qui·si·tion
ˌinkwiˈziSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: inquisition; plural noun: inquisitions; singular proper noun: Inquisition; noun: the Inquisition

a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation.
"she relented in her determined inquisition and offered help"
synonyms: interrogation, questioning, quizzing, cross-examination; More
investigation, inquiry, inquest, hearing;
informalgrilling;
examination
"what started as a few friendly questions soon turned into a not-so-friendly inquisition"
historical
a judicial or official inquiry.
the verdict or finding of an official inquiry.
an ecclesiastical tribunal established by Pope Gregory IX circa 1232 for the suppression of heresy. It was active chiefly in northern Italy and southern France, becoming notorious for the use of torture and death. In 1542 the papal Inquisition was re-established to combat Protestantism, eventually becoming an organ of papal government.

You are going down pathways I don't think you want to go down. So I have to paste all the Catholics killed by Protestants? There are a LOT, and all with the blessing of Protestant leaders.

The irony of this, and something you bigoted anti-Catholic Protestants would hate, is how the Orthodox Church views Catholics and Protestants as 2 sides of the same coin, both mired in new errors as they fight each other.