Top physicist on climate change....

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
His graph shows a 1.7 mm a year rise since 1870. The fact that sea level is rising is not disputed. It has been rising since the height of the little ice age at roughly 2 mm per year based on my memory. Your contention is that sea level rise has been accelerating. You cited John Cook and that is the point he was making. If you were simply claiming sea level has been rising.....no one with any sense disputes that. If that is all you were claiming, why cite someone pushing an acceleration?

sea-level-figure1-2015.png

Source: http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/oceans/sea-level.html

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
No, they were dead wrong.

They have been wrong since they told us an ice age was coming back in the 60's and 70's.

I grew up in the 70's, I remember all the ice age predictions. In the early 70's we were taught about the upcoming ice age in science class.

Maybe you're too young to remember what climatologists said back then.

If so, watch this:

The Coming Ice Age - 1978

I'm a Spock/Nimoy fan myself, but "In Search of..." was a nonsensical pseudo-science program from start to finish.

As for the "they told us an ice age was coming back in the 60's and 70's" claim, watch this: https://youtu.be/EU_AtHkB4Ms?t=51s

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You went from the lowest on record to one of the lowest on record over a period of 6 months.

You do know what you are calling "on record" started in 1980?

As I said earlier, 1980 was the apex of the "mini ice age".

The earth goes through warming periods and cooling periods. You are taking the polar ice extent from the end of a cooling period and using that as your baseline.

Man has no effect on these warming and cooling periods.

Why is Greenland called "Greenland"?

You do know that they are finding remains from farming with the current melting of ice?

You do know that means it was warmer hundreds of years ago?

zoo22

No, they were dead wrong.

They have been wrong since they told us an ice age was coming back in the 60's and 70's.

I grew up in the 70's, I remember all the ice age predictions. In the early 70's we were taught about the upcoming ice age in science class.

Maybe you're too young to remember what climatologists said back then.

If so, watch this:

The Coming Ice Age - 1978

I'm a Spock/Nimoy fan myself, but "In Search of..." was a nonsensical pseudo-science program from start to finish.

As for the "they told us an ice age was coming back in the 60's and 70's" claim, watch this: https://youtu.be/EU_AtHkB4Ms?t=51s

Tetelestai is willfully ignorant about this topic. He's been corrected on all of this stuff before.

Posting "In Search of..." as if it reflected what scientists were actually doing is a complete joke. Here was my response when he'd posted it years ago. (Too bad Knight deleted the posts/thread where tetelestai blamed the "climate hoax" on the Jews... But that sort of deletion is to be expected.)

:chuckle:

tetelestai is posting "In Search of" as some sort of evidence of scientific or public opinion about global cooling? If anything, instead of showing that it was taken seriously, it just shows what a fringe thing it was. In Search of was an entertainment show about UFO's , Bigfoot and spooky ghost ships floating around the Bermuda Triangle.

Here are a few other In Search of titles:

In Search of... Bigfoot: Manbeast! Myth or Monster?

In Search of... Past Lives: Can reincarnation be proved? Leonard Nimoy examines the data, testimony, and theories.

In Search of... The Amityville Horror: A dream house in a lovely suburb becomes a nightmare when the owners discover an evil presence.

In Search of... Moon Madness: Violence and passion are commonplace when the moon is full. Is there any truth to the Werewolf legends?

And yes, In Search of... The Coming Ice Age: An inquiry into whether the dramatic weather changes in America's northern states mean that a new ice age is approaching?

Using In Search of as any sort of indication of what science or the public believed is ridiculous. There was an In Search of about a new ice age. :chuckle: It doesn't mean that the scientific community supported it. Is "Moon Madness" a scientific concern?

tetelestai's been shown plenty of times that global cooling wasn't backed by scientists then, except for a small few. Even then, most scientists who were researching climate were predicting warming. For some reason tetelestai chooses to pretend that he doesn't know that. Why?

He's been caught posting a fake magazine cover and saying 70's cover stories were about global cooling when they weren't at all. When he got called on it, he basically just pretended it didn't happen. But he just keeps on pounding away with absurd examples. His continuing to pretend that global cooling then was the same as the climate change issue is now is becoming willfully deceptive.

And of course, tetelestai also blames the Jews.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Revisionist history.

The consensus amongst climatologists was that an ice age was coming. I lived it, I saw it, I heard it.

Dr. Stephen Schneider was a climatologist. Back in 1978 Schneider warned of the coming ice age. Then in 2008 Schneider was warning about global warming.

See for yourself:

Schneider vs. Schneider

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Posting "In Search of..." as if it reflected what scientists were actually doing is a complete joke.

The episode featured Dr. Stephen Schneider, a climatologist (see my previous post)

Schneider was one of Gore's main men.

Like most climatologists, Schneider was warning of the coming ice age in 1978, but then flip-flopped to global warming in 2008. (as shown in the video)

Like I said, every time climatologists are wrong, they move the goal posts.

Yet, people like you keep listening to them.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Revisionist history.

The consensus amongst climatologists was that an ice age was coming. I lived it, I saw it, I heard it.

Dr. Stephen Schneider was a climatologist. Back in 1978 Schneider warned of the coming ice age.

A survey of the scientific literature has found that between 1965 and 1979, 44 scientific papers predicted warming, 20 were neutral and just 7 predicted cooling. So while predictions of cooling got more media attention, the majority of scientists were predicting warming even then.​

Please read this article: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"In Belgium, snow on the ground could become increasingly rare but there would be plenty of grey sky and rain in winter..” - 2004, Climate scientist Jean-Pascal van Ypersele , Vice Chair of the IPCC.

In 2013 snowfall in Belgium was so heavy, over 100,000 homes had no electricity

60064.jpg

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
"In Belgium, snow on the ground could become increasingly rare but there would be plenty of grey sky and rain in winter..” - 2004, Climate scientist Jean-Pascal van Ypersele , Vice Chair of the IPCC.

I'd appreciate it if you posted links to official sources along with these quotes.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'd appreciate it if you posted links to official sources along with these quotes.

Sure.

Here's the document from the idiot climatologist (Jean-Pascal van Ypersele
Professor of Climatology and Environemental Science at the Université catholique de Louvain,
Belgium) who predicted no snow in Belgium.

The idiot was also Vice Chair of the IPCC

HERE

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Once again:

Milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms , IPCC, 2001

HERE

How many times do these guys have to be wrong before you stop blindly following them?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Sure.

Here's the document from the idiot climatologist (Jean-Pascal van Ypersele
Professor of Climatology and Environemental Science at the Université catholique de Louvain,
Belgium) who predicted no snow in Belgium.

The idiot was also Vice Chair of the IPCC

HERE

Thank you. You should always cite your sources if you want your claims to be taken seriously.

How many times do these guys have to be wrong before you stop blindly following them?

Look, I have no doubt that some climate scientists have made extreme predictions that have turned out to be false. However, others have made accurate predictions. For example, back in 1981, James Hansen et al. wrote:

“The global temperature rose by 0.2ºC between the middle 1960’s and 1980, yielding a warming of 0.4ºC in the past century. This temperature increase is consistent with the calculated greenhouse effect due to measured increases of atmospheric carbon dioxide...It is shown that the anthropogenic carbon dioxide warming should emerge from the noise level of natural climate variability by the end of the century, and there is a high probability of warming in the 1980’s. Potential effects on climate in the 21st century include the creation of drought-prone regions in North America and central Asia as part of a shifting of climate zones, erosion of the West Antarctic ice sheet with a consequent worldwide rise in sea level, and opening of the fabled Northwest Passage.”​

Source: http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1981/1981_Hansen_etal_1.pdf