toldailytopic: Within your lifespan what has been the most beneficial scientific, med

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You are really old.

Well, I was born during WWII and my earliest memories of all the family males in my life, was that they all proudly wore military uniforms.

When we travelled, all I knew were military men going here and there, and they were esteemed as heroes, by all in their midst.

My earliest recollection of a telephone, was an upright pedastal with an earphone attached, that when the hand-held device was removed from its station, it produced a human voice asking for a 3-digit number. I am not embarrassed by such facts, but wonder why others are not interested in what life was like back then.

???

I could go on about personal trivia, but what I find interesting (and extremely depressing) is when people find out my age they are repelled at my lack of youth, and NEVER show any interest in the observances of American history that I possess. (Such as, I was born in Wash, DC, and "daddy" was a Treasury Dept. big-shot all during WWII and the Korean conflict.)

Oh well . . .

Nang

Squishes

Well, I was born during WWII and my earliest memories of all the family males in my life, was that they all proudly wore military uniforms.

When we travelled, all I knew were military men going here and there, and they were esteemed as heroes, by all in their midst.

My earliest recollection of a telephone, was an upright pedastal with an earphone attached, that when the hand-held device was removed from its station, it produced a human voice asking for a 3-digit number. I am not embarrassed by such facts, but wonder why others are not interested in what life was like back then.

???

I could go on about personal trivia, but what I find interesting (and extremely depressing) is when people find out my age they are repelled at my lack of youth, and NEVER show any interest in the observances of American history that I possess. (Such as, I was born in Wash, DC, and "daddy" was a Treasury Dept. big-shot all during WWII and the Korean conflict.)

Oh well . . .

Nang

I dunno, I think it's interesting. When I was young I had an elderly neighbor (he is still alive and is now 106 years old), and I used to get his groceries for him when he started to lose his vision. He would always treat me to a bit of brandy and some absolutely enthralling stories. He used to tell me about the introduction of the car in the US, and I never could quite imagine what things would have been like without automobiles.

I generally prefer the company of the mature to the young.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

???

Oh well . . .

Nang

It has been my experience that the value of such things must be ingrained when the person is very young. Unfortunately this is not commonly done by parents any more and is probably never done in schools. :plain:

Todah

Daniel 12:4 But as for you Daniel, conceal these words, and seal up the book until the end of time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase.

I would have to agree that it is personal computers and the internet, which has led to the doubling of knowledge every few years.

A close second would be the moon landing. I like Jerry Seinfeld's take on it. It was the greatest thing that ever happened for whiners and complainers, which most of us are!

"What, they can land a man on the moon, but they can't find a cure for the common cold?" "What they can land a man on the moon, but they can't find a cure for baldness?" ...... put in your own "whine" as you go through your day with its difficulties and inequities!

If they never landed a man on the moon, just think how many things you couldn't complain about.:(

Lovejoy

SPo2 monitoring. I can tell your oxygen saturation from a probe placed on the finger, and continuously monitor it. Before, we had to do lab draws to get that information. Less sticks, more information, saving lives!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Within your lifespan what has been the most beneficial scientific, medical, or technological invention?

Scientific: DNA testing.

Medical: A better breathing ventilator, and better medications.

Technological: The auto windshield wiper delay.​

Last edited:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2010 08:55 AM

toldailytopic: Within your lifespan what has been the most beneficial scientific, medical, or technological invention?

That's a toughie. Don't think I could point to a singular thing as I have seen so many and benefited from them. As a progressive invention, I would pick solid-state electronics. What used to occupy a large building now sits on my desk with plenty of room to spare and has a gazillion times the capacity. My cameras don't have no film no more.

Medical would be the Salk vaccine for poliomyelitis and DDT. (Those probably fall under the heading of discoveries rather than inventions.)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Beneficial? That eliminates something that have had a huge impact on the world, such as legalized child killing in the US. It has had a gigantic impact in the wrong way, so it is not beneficial.

You could argue the AK47. It gave poor people control. It is cheap and cheaply made, which is a plus and a minus. But no other weapon has done what it has done.

Stoners black rifle, the AR for Armalite, is a better weapon for a multitutude of reasons, but only those that can afford it get it. You can't buy a new one for $50 on a world market. I turned on the TV and Tales of the gun is on, and they were talking to Kalishnakov, and I thought that is a good answer for his question.

Status
Not open for further replies.