toldailytopic: Will you eat at Chick-fil-A knowing they support traditional marriage?

alwight

You're easily confused aren't you? I don't want government to tell me what is right or wrong. I want the laws they enforce to be just and right.
Wrong, you simply want whatever you have decided is just and right, albeit derived (mindlessly?) from an ancient scripture, imposed on all, including those of us who dare to decide our own relative morality.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Wrong, you simply want whatever you have decided is just and right, albeit derived (mindlessly?) from an ancient scripture, imposed on all, including those of us who dare to decide our own relative morality.

Yes, of course I vote. :duh:

Don't you? What are you whining about exactly?

bybee

Now you're being pushy Dearie! Mary Contrary speaks her mind honestly and fearlessly.
You may disagree with her but you are foolishly in error to insist that she isn't speaking her own truth.
You don't normally make statements like that.:(

alwight

Now you're being pushy Dearie! Mary Contrary speaks her mind honestly and fearlessly.
You may disagree with her but you are foolishly in error to insist that she isn't speaking her own truth.
Oh I know about Mary which is why I feel more inclined to be "pushy" perhaps, 'cause I know as sure as "silver bells and cockle shells" she will be.

You don't normally make statements like that.:(
That rather depends on who I'm talking to. ;)

Last edited:

alwight

You're easily confused aren't you? I don't want government to tell me what is right or wrong. I want the laws they enforce to be just and right.
Yes, of course I vote. :duh:
That's all very interesting Mary but...:liberals::idunno:

Don't you? What are you whining about exactly?
Yes I vote, so what? Either way here (UK) the church doesn't seek to impose any specifically Christian values on secular society thankfully.
If churches don't want to be involved in gay ceremonies then that's fair enough they shouldn't have to imo. But secular laws forbidding such ceremonies based on a particular religious view alone would be an unwelcome theocracy imposed on many otherwise law abiding people regardless of what you suppose to be "just and right"?

----
@OP
If Chick-fil-A chooses to present a discriminatory view rather than simply remain neutral then presumably that goes down rather well in some parts of the US, boosting their profits no doubt. But it's really no good them then whining if that same view is counter-productive and causes bad feelings elsewhere.
I would probably eat in a CFA if it was good food unless they openly disapproved of non-Christians and atheists when I would consider myself personally to be unwelcome.

PureX

One thing that I really like and applaud about this whole silly Chick-Fil-A business is that it's making people more conscious of corporate behavior, and reminding us of the power of the economic corporate boycott.

Many of these corporations have become so wealthy and powerful that they can routinely buy whatever legislation helps them further their quest for more wealth and power. So that the government no longer stands up as the protector of the public welfare. Instead, the government has become the accomplices of those who seek to exploit and even destroy the public's welfare for their own profit.

But there is still a very powerful tool that those big corporation fear far more than they will admit, and that is the power of an economic boycott of their products or services. Ultimately, society has the ability to lay waste to any corporation that seeks to abuse government and exploit us, and all we need to wield that power is the will to do so, and the information necessary to formulate that will.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Is that not exactly what some government leaders are doing by trying to block business licenses for a company presidents freedom of speech and religion?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There's a lot you don't know about Mary.

alwight

Is that not exactly what some government leaders are doing by trying to block business licenses for a company presidents freedom of speech and religion?
Local government leaders at least are there to represent their whole community in theory anyway, if you don't like them and the job they do then don't vote for them, that's democracy it isn't perfect. :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Local government leaders at least are there to represent their whole community in theory anyway, if you don't like them and the job they do then don't vote for them, that's democracy it isn't perfect. :idunno:

I see, its ok to violate the constitution and its ok to deny free speech and freedom of religion, when YOU agree with it.

noguru

I disagree. If government starts blocking licensing because some political figure is opposed to the free speech of that prospective business owner they have overstepped their bounds as a public servant. Now if the business owner starts advocating violence to others we already have that covered with legislation. It is really quite simple.

alwight

I disagree. If government starts blocking licensing because some political figure is opposed to the free speech of that prospective business owner they have overstepped their bounds as a public servant. Now if the business owner starts advocating violence to others we already have that covered with legislation. It is really quite simple.
Not too sure exactly what I said you are disagreeing with here. In this case I don't think any reasonable business should be preemptively prevented from setting up a business, but clearly the local potential customers can vote with their feet.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Maybe I don't want to know too much more LH but clearly Mary seems to be quite your hero anyway if not mine.
I do look up to her, even if she is still a kid.:eek:

But that's not the point. You accused her of arguing for her own wants and desires, what she believes to be just and right simply derived from Scripture when you have no clue what she went through to come to this point.

noguru

Not too sure exactly what I said you are disagreeing with here. In this case I don't think any reasonable business should be preemptively prevented from setting up a business, but clearly the local potential customers can vote with their feet.

It's beyond that. If an elected official is blocking a business from getting a license because of that business owner's right to free speech, then that is a clear and direct abuse of the office they hold.

alwight

But that's not the point. You accused her of arguing for her own wants and desires, what she believes to be just and right simply derived from Scripture when you have no clue what she went through to come to this point.
We all travel through life and hence draw our own conclusions from experience even if some imo tend to rely on ancient scripture rather more than material reality to do it.

noguru

If it mirrors what you went through then it is not much. Because according to your own reasoning, you should not even be trusting your own reasoning. It's all a big "nothing" to you. And I have to agree with you there.

alwight

It's beyond that. If an elected official is blocking a business from getting a license because of that business owner's right to free speech, then that is a clear and direct abuse of the office they hold.
Clearly democracy is not perfect nor free from corruption but all we can do as individuals is to recognise who is failing us and get rid of them. Local politics can be highly complex imo and we'd need to understand the whole local picture which clearly as a Brit I don't for CFA or America generally and don't pretend I do.