toldailytopic: Who, besides bible persons, is your favorite historical character and

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 23rd, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Who, besides bible persons, is your favorite historical character and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Who, besides bible persons, is your favorite historical character and why?

:think:

How much do we really know of some, or even most, of these people?

I could name a number of people I admire and someone could come in here and falsely accuse or tell me something I didn't know that's actually true and I wouldn't know the difference, or of any way to discredit or disprove anything.

Of course, maybe that's what I get for not being all that interested in history.

I like the works of Shakespeare and Poe. But the latter certainly showed signs of being a degenerate, from what I do know.

Attila the Hun. He led an active, outdoor lifestyle.
:crackup:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Constantine who is actually in the bible unknown to others as the rider of the white horse
and
he made the world safe for Christians
and
upset many others

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Leonardo da Vinci. Why? Because he was a painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer. That's just ridiculous.

Buzzword

From actual history: Joseph Campbell.
His life's work of studying and finding bridges between the various folklores, mythologies, and religions reveals the true nature of humanity by showing the priorities we all share.

From fictional history: Sir John Falstaff from Shakespeare's Henry IV.
"I were better to be eaten to death with a rust than to be scoured to nothing with perpetual motion."

ragTagblues

:think:

How much do we really know of some, or even most, of these people?

I could name a number of people I admire and someone could come in here and falsely accuse or tell me something I didn't know that's actually true and I wouldn't know the difference, or of any way to discredit or disprove anything.

Isn't this just a short write up of the average argument between atheists and Christians?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
General Douglas MacAurthur, a real classy guy that realy embodied the West Point motto...Duty, Honor, Country.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was quite fond of Clara Pellar.

She often wondered "Wheeeeeere's the Beef?!" and I've often wondered the same.

6a00d8341bffd953ef014e86285b0d970d-800wi

HisServant

John Calvin... not because of his theology, but because the foundation he and the rest of the elders in Geneva laid down became the basis for western democracy and values... centuries later.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
220px-Shackletonhead.jpg

Ernest Shackleton

ANDREWS_1921_Across_Mongolian_Plains_PlateI.jpg

Roy Chapman Andrews

I admire adventurers. Men who had fears and faults yet still had the balls to go do something. I don't know that these two are my absolute favorite, but they're up there. They were definitely the first that came to mind.

Cruciform

Who, besides bible persons, is your favorite historical character and why?
One of my intellectual heroes is Charles Darwin, who possessed the integrity and courage to set forth the principle of natural selection as the central mechanism of biological evolution---perhaps the most important scientific idea ever conceived---all within the contrary context of Victorian assumptions and culture.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

oatmeal

One person?

Very difficult, top ten?

Washington, George

Clark of Lewis and Clark

Lincoln

Eisenhower

Abrams

Churchill

Hackworth

Rochembeau

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.

Both looked to change the world through peaceful methods.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Who, besides bible persons,
is your favorite historical character and why?

I must be in a fog today...
Do I take Bible persons to be Bible characters,
or
Bible pastors, evangelists, missionaries, commentators, teachers, etc.
No, I figure those are not who is asked about, so I'll proceed outside of the realm of Christendom.

There are a lot of people to choose from, so do I pick political, military, educator, business, sports, international, national, local; so with that in mind I'll go with Richard Petty, Richard has probably done more the NASCAR image and success from when Richard started racing in NASCAR than any other owner/driver or other NASCAR personality. If there would be a number two pick it would be R. G. (Robert Gilmour) LeTourneau, LeTourneau put the construction equipment and construction/excavating on the map with his prolific inventing of earthmoving machinery.