toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

The Berean

The money he's making now isn't commensurate to his abilities. As a Red Sox fan it's incredibly difficult for me to say this, but he is not only a class-act as an individual, but he was one of the best at his position for years. (One of the very few Yankees I didn't and don't loathe.) He's just not now, which is why I think the money New York's paying him is ridiculous. It's a lot of dough to keep around a guy for what he's done before--most organizations just aren't that sentimental or sensitive to public opinion.
As you probably already know, Granite, the baseball salary structure is silly. Most players have their best seasons from age 27-32. But often their free agent years, the years where they can command the most money, come after this age range or at least the back half. Whoever signs Albert Pujols is going to pay $25-$30 million per season. They basically will be paying him for what he did in the past. In Pujols first 10 seasons he was essentially the equal of Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx. But given Pujols body type and his age (31) he is extremely unlikely to repeat in his 30's what he did in his 20's. And if reports are accurate Pujols is seeking a 10 year contract. What team is going to want to pay a 39 year old Pujols $30 million to hit .270 with 20 HRs and 70 RBI?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Gee, you realize that most race car drivers win relatively few races? She's more interesting than the average driver BECAUSE she's female, and apparently that makes you mad? :rolleyes:

Racecar drivers are paid largely based on their ability to get sponsors. You can either do that through winning races or being interesting. Mind you, winning an Indy car race is only partly skill anyway, if your pit crew or car is in any way flawed you're not going to win.

She placed 3rd in the Indy 500 in 2009, that alone is worth quite a bit of cash. She's finished in the top ten of points standings in the IRL quite frequently, which speaks to consistency in racing which must mean she's reasonably skilled. Winning ain't everything, even in racing. :p

She isn't interesting only because she is a female. She is an attractive female. If she wasn't nice to look at people wouldn't care as much.

I guess she also sometimes throws temper tantrums. :think: :chuckle:

The Berean

Even Kiwis can win Indy car races. :idunno:

The only thing New Zealanders are any good at is rugby .. and they get paid squat to do that.

New Zealand has had some legendary distance runners in the past and Nick Willis today.

Peter Snell
3X Olympic Gold medalist, 1960, 1964
World Record holder, 800 m, mile
petersnell_og64.jpg

John Walker
1976 Olympic Gold Medalist, 1500 m
Mile World Record (first man under 3:50)
72_walkerrun_13_28_1086614a.jpg

Rod Dixon
1972 Olympic Bronze Medal
1983 New York City Marathon winner
rodcollectorscard.jpg

Nick Willis
2008 Olympic Silver medalist
new_zealand_s_nick_willis_celebrates_after_winning_48ab2070b5.JPG

Carrying on the great New Zealand running tradition...
589400.jpg

walker-1024x768.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would say that Anna Kournikova was the most overrated and over paid athlete in the history of sports.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Derek Jeter's outrageously overpaid. As a mascot, he's charming. As a player he's a so-so shortstop who's a shadow of what he used to be.

And his fielding percentage was pitiful for a long time, if he is to be considered an all time great.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only race she has ever won was a demonstration race in Japan. Yet pretty much the focus of every Indy Car race is her. :madmad:

She being Danica Patrick is the IRL's and NASCAR's great whiner, and should be sponsored by Kraft Cheese.

There are some women in auto racing who are good driver's. I think Danica Patrick is an eye candy drawing card for IRL and NASCAR, if she ever wins a major race in either of those venues I'll be surprised.

That's my two cents.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Gee, you realize that most race car drivers win relatively few races? She's more interesting than the average driver BECAUSE she's female, and apparently that makes you mad? :rolleyes:
It doesn't make me mad that she is a women. It makes me mad that we have to focus the telecast on her when she is generally running for 10th place. People actually think she is one of the greatest drivers of all time. And for what? Because she wears a bikini and shoots nasty commercials for GoDaddy??

I don't mind women drivers, heck I always cheered for Sarah Fisher because she was just another driver. She didn't whore herself out just to get attention.

Maybe you like it when women exploit themselves for attention? :idunno:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It doesn't make me mad that she is a women. It makes me mad that we have to focus the telecast on her when she is generally running for 10th place. People actually think she is one of the greatest drivers of all time. And for what? Because she wears a bikini and shoots nasty commercials for GoDaddy??

I don't mind women drivers, heck I always cheered for Sarah Fisher because she was just another driver. She didn't whore herself out just to get attention.

Yes, Sarah Fisher, a great example of driving ability and on and off track attitude.

Another pair is Lakeside Speedway's Powder Puff gals Peggy Plue and Audrey Balyerd, these gals drove modified stock cars. I remember one Sunday night when Peggy Plue timed in faster than her husband Doug Plue.

Last edited:

Alate_One

Probably because the announcers figure that more people (ahem, men) will get interested in racing if they keep bringing her up. Kinda like what McCain thought about his candidacy in the 2008 election . . . And tenth place is pretty good! Lots of drivers never make it that close.

You are making the assumption that she's not a talented driver just because she "whores herself out". I looked at her stats and that doesn't appear to be the case (that she isn't talented). Generally if you're running in the top ten consistently, eventually you'll win.

No, why would I? :plain: Honestly I hadn't paid attention to the commercials and bikini shots . . . not classy but hardly surprising in the commercial world of Auto Racing. I certainly wouldn't do what she's doing were I a racer, but I think you're going overboard on her just because she's made bad choices on marketing herself.

eameece

Most professional athletes in America are ridiculously overpaid, especially in the major team sports. They are just one piece of the upper class in this country, from which the wealth does not trickle-down.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dennis Rodman. Good ball player, but a disgrace to his team with his attention mongering antics.