toldailytopic: White smoke rises, a new Pope is chosen, what do you think about it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oops! I really do need to proof read my posts.

No wonder his Italian sounded so good. Apparently he also does NOT speak English, which is rather limited for a Pope don't you think? Me thinks there are way more English RCs in the world than German ones.
I heard an American who was too old to vote but a Cardinal, I believe, and someone who is a friend of his say that he speaks English, but prefers Spanish.

StanJ53

I heard an American who was too old to vote but a Cardinal, I believe, and someone who is a friend of his say that he speaks English, but prefers Spanish.

Well I was surprised at the bio I read that said he spoke Spanish, Italian and German only. You would think he would be able to speak a few more languages like many pontiffs in the past have?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well I was surprised at the bio I read that said he spoke Spanish, Italian and German only. You would think he would be able to speak a few more languages like many pontiffs in the past have?

Perhaps it only listed the languages he is fluent in.

rexlunae

White smoke rises, a new Pope is chosen, what do you think about it?

Too early to tell if he'll be the man to shake up the church hierarchy, which seems like it's due, but at first blush he seems better than his predecessor, at least in the areas that I care about.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the news no longer covering it. That's mostly because when they don't have any information, the "news" will cover complete speculation. They'll even call it that. And, predictably, all the speculation was completely wrong.

Even the local news here has a correspondent at the Vatican to cover the conclave. Or had, at least.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Initially trained as a chemist, Bergoglio taught literature, psychology, philosophy and theology before taking over as Buenos Aires archbishop in 1998. He speaks Spanish, Italian and German, and reads English. He became cardinal in 2001, when the economy was collapsing, and won respect for blaming unrestrained capitalism for impoverishing millions of Argentines."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/13/2555698/francis-is-first-pope-from-the.html#storylink=cpy

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: White smoke rises, a new Pope is chosen, what do you think about it?

I feel that it is no concern of mine, any more than who the preacher is at the Baptist church in Timbuktu.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 13th, 2013 12:15 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I hope he will be obedient to God and faithful to Yeshua and lead Catholics to do the same.