toldailytopic: What's the greatest thing about being a parent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 16th, 2010 11:07 AM

toldailytopic: What's the greatest thing about being a parent?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

elohiym

Well, it's not a quite house. :chuckle:

I'd have to say the greatest thing about being a parent is the unconditional love that my children have for me.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Being able to create another human being that you are able to nurture, love, protect and provide a quality upbringing for. Having the relationship that allows you to share their happiest and saddest moments in their lives with them.

It's really hard to pin down the *best* part of being a parent so I will just leave it at this: there is no greater or more rewarding experience than being a parent.

elohiym

...there is no greater or more rewarding experience than being a parent.

So true.

Once I became a parent, I realized that being a parent was my purpose in life. It was so in-my-face obvious all of the sudden.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Only a step-mom, but...

Jeremiah: *reaches of Mary's processing notebook...*
Mary: Don't touch that!
Jeremiah: Why?
Mary: Because I said so.
God: ....um...
Mary: Yes, I know. I don't have your patience for explaining things.
God: ....so...?
Mary: Okay, I'll work on it.
God: ...because...?
Mary: It be better if he understood why he shouldn't touch that.
God: ...so...?
Mary: Okay, look Jeremiah. You know I have some problems I'm working on. Lotsa bad stuff happened to me and all. I write things down in here to help we figure out what to do about that. So I don't want you reading this for the same reason I don't want you sticking your head in the toilet. Nasty stuff in there.
Jeremiah: Oh. Okay.
God: And if you just put that somewhere else...
Mary: Oh, right! I didn't even think of that.
God: So...since I'm here...wanted to talk to you about something...
Mary: Aw, man...
God: What was that? You gettin' lippy with me?
Mary: No, sir!
God: Good. Now, about that thing...

Basically the necessity of having to grow up and stop being a child yourself.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
It's an excuse to go to Chucky Chesse Pizza! :guitar:
that was my favorite place
I didn't get to do any of that cool stuff when I was a kid. Then we all went to Chuck E. Cheese's in Slidell like two weeks after I officially became a step-mom (and was therefore expected to go).

Blew. My. Mind.

Dude! Video games! Arcade prize tickets! Pizza! Animatronic animal rock band! More arcade prize tickets!

I was wore slap out when I got home.

The Berean

Only a step-mom, but...

Jeremiah: *reaches of Mary's processing notebook...*
Mary: Don't touch that!
Jeremiah: Why?
Mary: Because I said so.
God: ....um...
Mary: Yes, I know. I don't have your patience for explaining things.
God: ....so...?
Mary: Okay, I'll work on it.
God: ...because...?
Mary: It be better if he understood why he shouldn't touch that.
God: ...so...?
Mary: Okay, look Jeremiah. You know I have some problems I'm working on. Lotsa bad stuff happened to me and all. I write things down in here to help we figure out what to do about that. So I don't want you reading this for the same reason I don't want you sticking your head in the toilet. Nasty stuff in there.
Jeremiah: Oh. Okay.
God: And if you just put that somewhere else...
Mary: Oh, right! I didn't even think of that.
God: So...since I'm here...wanted to talk to you about something...
Mary: Aw, man...
God: What was that? You gettin' lippy with me?
Mary: No, sir!
God: Good. Now, about that thing...

Basically the necessity of having to grow up and stop being a child yourself.
:rotfl:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What's the greatest thing about being a parent?

Why would you even ask me that? :noid: What have you heard?

These two were sitting on the stairs one day, and as I passed between them and said excuse me, Ben said to his little sister...

"That's dad, he's the boss!"

:)

nicholsmom

Being able to create another human being that you are able to nurture, love, protect and provide a quality upbringing for. Having the relationship that allows you to share their happiest and saddest moments in their lives with them.

It's really hard to pin down the *best* part of being a parent so I will just leave it at this: there is no greater or more rewarding experience than being a parent.

That's almost what I would say. I'd say that the best part is getting to know someone for his/her entire life. I get to see them grow in every way, to be a part of directing that growth, and to see the outcome of all that growth. It is a great privilege.

I like my kids an awful lot, too. So I think it's the best to get to spend loads of time with them all through their childhood, and hopefully, through great amounts of their adult lives as well. So far so good on that front - I'm still their favorite person :eek: - even the 16-year-old, though she's somewhat torn between her daddy and me ;)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
{ pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter} DADDY! {Arms held high, Daddy picks her up and gets a big hug!}

Things change a bit as they grow older but even as both daughters enter into their teen years, they still like a hug from Dad and and still enjoy being ticked in at the end of the day.

I also like the gifts of home made poetry and ceramics and sculpture. They truly come from their hearts.

nicholsmom

These two were sitting on the stairs one day, and as I passed between them and said excuse me, Ben said to his little sister...

"That's dad, he's the boss!"

:)

:Nineveh: I have found that, with a couple of mine, I have to make them say it:

Kid: No!
Me: Who's the boss?
Kid: mmffyoummmare
Me: Who?
Kid: You
Me: Excuse me?
Kid: You're the boss
Me: That's right.

:chuckle:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Disappointed that I have kids? :shocked: What have you heard? :chuckle:

No. I'm an only child. :eek:

Okay, now you're playing with me. And just for that I'll say what I was being too polite to say before. I'll be disappointed if you don't have grandkids because I think you'd make a great grandpa.

Also, I figure you're old. And you're probably bald.

:e4e: And you probably like that smiley so much because you own a hat like that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, now you're playing with me.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :think:
And just for that I'll say what I was being too polite to say before. I'll be disappointed if you don't have grandkids because I think you'd make a great grandpa.
So you think I'd be good with my grandkids' kids...
Also, I figure you're old.
Not very. :p
And you're probably bald.
There's a horrible photo of me in my profile page, doofi (to use the Latin). Same hairline as HS. :D I live for class reunions. :chuckle:
:e4e: And you probably like that smiley so much because you own a hat like that.
No, but my mother did dress me funny once....

Once. :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.