toldailytopic: What is your earliest (and or) favorite childhood memory?

One Eyed Jack

My oldest clear memory is going Leonard's Drug Store and getting a toy airplane for my best friend's birthday present. I believe he was turning three, so I would have just turned four (my birthday is exactly one month before his).

Quincy

I have very few memories as a child but spending the weekend at my grandparents listening to my grandfather and his band play music was the best. They played everything from Johnny Cash to Hank Williams and their own hits of course. It was good times.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I remember jumping with all my might to pluck a juicy golden pear from the tree and missing it by yards, but I did manage to land on the business end of a garden rake which caused it to spring upright and whack me on the head.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
My favorite is a trip we took to Minnesota one summer for a family reunion. This was in the 70's sometime and John Denver was at the height of his popularity. We had a bunch of his eight-tracks (remember those?).

Anyway, were driving through the bread basket of the country and "Matthew" was playing as we drove by this old abandoned farm house. It was bleached out but the windmill was still standing. The sky was blue and the fields of grain surrounding it were golden. It still brings a smile to my face whenever I hear "Matthew".

Same trip, I was ready Ray Bradbury. I was reading a story about the end of the world and it was described as building collapsing. WHile I was reading this, "Rhyme and Reason" was playing in the back ground. Specifically the part where he sings, "SO the cities start to crumble, and the towers fall around us". TO this day that is one of my favorite songs.

Cruciform

My favorite is a trip we took to Minnesota one summer for a family reunion. This was in the 70's sometime and John Denver was at the height of his popularity. We had a bunch of his eight-tracks (remember those?).

Anyway, were driving through the bread basket of the country and "Matthew" was playing as we drove by this old abandoned farm house. It was bleached out but the windmill was still standing. The sky was blue and the fields of grain surrounding it were golden. It still brings a smile to my face whenever I hear "Matthew".

Same trip, I was ready Ray Bradbury. I was reading a story about the end of the world and it was described as building collapsing. WHile I was reading this, "Rhyme and Reason" was playing in the back ground. Specifically the part where he sings, "SO the cities start to crumble, and the towers fall around us". TO this day that is one of my favorite songs.
John Denver's music is the soundtrack of my youth. Great memories.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
John Denver's music is the soundtrack of my youth. Great memories.
Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
My Mom and Dad took me and my brother and sister to our very first concert. It was John Denver at Red Rocks Amphitheater for the "Back Home Again" tour. He played with the Red Rocks Symphony Orchestra and we were just high enough up to see the Denver city lights. Truly wonderful experience.

Ironically, the last concert I ever went to was John's last concert in Denver the summer before he was killed. I have to say that his last concert was every bit as good as his first.

Cruciform

My Mom and Dad took me and my brother and sister to our very first concert. It was John Denver at Red Rocks Amphitheater for the "Back Home Again" tour. He played with the Red Rocks Symphony Orchestra and we were just high enough up to see the Denver city lights. Truly wonderful experience.
Wow, you're so fortunate! (Envy and jealously are still sins, right? Darn!) I saw John in concert three times: twice at the Civic Center in Saginaw, MI. where I grew up, and once at the Olympia Stadium in Detroit (1977) where he performed in the round with Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, and James Taylor---still the best concert I've ever experienced.

Ironically, the last concert I ever went to was John's last concert in Denver the summer before he was killed. I have to say that his last concert was every bit as good as his first.
Similarly, I was fortunate enough to see Dan Fogelberg in concert in Grand Rapids, Mi. not long before he died. Next to John Denver, he was my favorite singer-songwriter.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+