toldailytopic: What is your earliest (and or) favorite childhood memory?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 7th, 2012 09:09 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

Earliest: Using the garden hose to make a massive muddy area of the backyard so the girls who lived next door could bring their Tonka toys and do some earth-movin'. (age 4)

Favorite: Watching early 90's cartoons. Still the best, and the most daring, especially in this our age of "protect the children from EVERYTHING lest they gain a unique perception of the world and not the one foisted on them by their parents!"

My earliest childhood memory was failing to completely burn down the woods around my house, which my parents wouldn't let me forget every time I wanted to start a fire for more than ten years. I now understand why God lets parents develop memory loss. And today, I am still a pyromaniac, and no, no fire escaped me like that ever again.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Earliest: I remember visiting Auckland zoo. From behind the protection of a rain cover in a pram, I was still frightened by some large, scary looking birds. I must have been less than 2 years old, but I can't get Mum to remember the incident.

Favourite: Getting a "sack of potatoes" ride when, after having slept through some nighttime church meeting, Dad would carry us back to the car in our sleeping bags over his shoulder.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I once asked my daughter what her first scientific discovery was. She replied that she was in her high chair, and realized that if her hand was wet, she could pick up more cheerios.

My first (really foggy) memory was being on the front porch in late afternoon, with a beam of yellow sunlight coming in, and realizing that if I swatted the cushions of the old couch, the beam would be filled with hundreds of dancing points of light.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My earliest memory is a vague one.... i'm being pushed in a stroller through the parking lot of a shopping center. My mom and my grandma are arguing about something. I can distinctly remember being removed from our 1963 Plymouth Fury and placed into the stroller.

My fondest memory... playing GI Joe's in the basement. We had it all... GI Joe Jet, Jeep, Helicopter, my brother and I even had GI Joe Indy cars. We could play down there for days on end and completely immerse ourselves into our own imaginations.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Earliest...an amazing bald, black face. Junior. My nanny was sick and her husband, who took care of the acreage, was picking me up from my cradle because I'd been crying and my mother had told him to pick me up if I cried.

He was an extraordinarily kind and good man and he's my earliest memory. :D

My favorite...climbing a bookshelf in the library to get at The Great Divorce, then curling up in a reading chair and eating it alive in the middle of the night. :eek: :poly: It was twice as sweet as Twain's stolen watermelon could ever be.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Earliest: throwing a clear plastic spherical toy, with various things within, at my uncle's head when he was sleeping on the floor. I was in my playpen.

I also recall recognizing a speed limit sign, 55, due to the Sammy Hagar music video, and singing the song. My dad had yet to hear the song and thought I made it up and was reading at a very young age. I assume I recollected the symbols, but not what they actually were.

Favorite: :idunno:

sesseltheologe

My earliest childhood memory comes from when I was two or three. It was night, and I was supposed to be asleep in bed. I though decided to stand at the side of the crib and was looking out the door. I heard someone sneeze and I tried to say "Gesundheit". (Which is actually sort of funny because no one in my family spoke German nor do we have German herritage; I've always wondered where I picked that up.)

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

My earliest childhood memory, that I know is a memory not just me remembering someone's story about how it happened, is being in the all-school performance of Pinnochio in the second grade.

I don't have a whole lot of memories from my childhood. But, I remember deciding that I wanted to have music in my life when I was in this performance and I remember every song from the musical. My mom trips out that I don't remember anything before this and that my memory skips a lot of the time between then and when I was about seventeen.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Making funny faces for the camera on my second birthday. Don't remember much after that until I was about four (maybe a little bit of three).

S

Strefanash

... sitting in the family car (which was decrepit and soon to be disposed of after which we had no car till my teens) outside Torrens Road Kindergarten. The memory of the loneliness is as palpable today, nearly 50 years later as is that of the torn cloth lining inside the roof of the car. I was 4 so this must have been in 1962 or 3

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:think:......

My earliest.

I remember at about 3 or 4 having a picnic with mom in the back yard, it's still vague.​
My favorite childhood memory - That's a loaded question.

Anyway, it was the time I spent with Granpa Harvey. We lived next door to Granpa Harvey's tulip farm so I would spend a lot of time there, that was before we moved to Albuquerque.

Next would be going to midget car races with Dad. I was hooked, my sport was auto racing, which would also branch out into stock car racing.​

Thunder's Muse

My earliest memory is being a baby in my mother's arms, while travelling in the car (1972..no seatbelts laws yet). I opened my eyes and my mother smiled at me. I then looked over at my father, who was driving. The sun was bright and got in my eyes so I closed them. End of first memory.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Earliest memory.... clover.

Favorite childhood memory..... 1st birthday cake - chocolate.

zoo22

First memory: My first memory is bizarrely intricate. It's of candles being made in empty milk cartons in our kitchen in Key West. I remember the color and pattern of the linoleum floor. I remember wicks placed in half-gallon milk cartons, filled with off-white wax. Secured by an "X" of maybe toothpicks. Over newspaper. I remember a big dried bumpy starfish, salmon-colored, sitting on the floor. I remember dark sand (likely for the starfish to be cast in wax as a candle). I remember the layout of the kitchen, from my vantage-point (not what was behind me)... A full wall of small-paned french windows above the counter, and the way the light was angled through them. Vertical. Some open. A similarly paned french door to the left, leading outside, and a door to the right leading in from another room. I don't remember anything else at all about that house, or time period. Not a beach, not a street, not a house, not a room, not people, not food, not music, nothing. Just that candle-making day. And I don't remember faces or people from it. It could have been my mom, or it could have been a baby sitter.

My mom's told me that she doesn't remember that day, but remembers that they would make candles sometimes, including casting various things in sand as candles, and says that my description of the kitchen is completely accurate (she remembers the basic color, but not the pattern of the linoleum). I drew the kitchen for her and she said it was dead-on. She said that the way I described the light coming through the windows was the way it shone in the afternoons. There are/were no photos of any of this, and no one told me about any of it. It's not a trained memory.

I don't remember anything else at all until at least a year after that... Different house, different state, about a year's age difference. Just that one strange, extremely detailed and visual memory.

Best childhood memory: Music. Recognizing music. The Beatles. I remember Maggie May. Besides the candle-making memory, music is my first memory. That was the period when my memory kicked-in. Playing, running around, all of that.

Hearing about Bob Welsh dying made me really sad, because some of those old songs are among some of my first clear memories. I can hear them.

Worst childhood memory: My parents let me have gerbils as pets. I found them dead, because I hadn't fed them. They had starved to death. Because I neglected them. It was my fault. It's still a really, really awful thing for me to think back on, trite as it might sound.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Worst childhood memory: My parents let me have gerbils as pets. I found them dead, because I hadn't fed them. They had starved to death. Because I neglected them. It was my fault. It's still a really, really awful thing for me to think back on, trite as it might sound.
Powerful memories of the first time death entered your world, and realizing you were responsible does not sound trite to me. Thanks for sharing that!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't have very many really solid memories of a time before grade school. I guess one of earliest might have been sitting in the car after church, wondering why we weren't leaving. Bob Mast one of the Elders came over to the car and handed my brother a white furry puppy. I don't remember who, in the family, came up with the name, but Fido, became one of my dearest childhood friends! My brothers like him too, I guess, but I was the one that loved him. It's been that way with all my dogs. With Fido, Bowser, then George and now Ziggy!