toldailytopic: What is the proper role of government?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2207201 said:
This is the role of gov't?

Not necessarily, but in our case yes. That is, if the government is to be of the people than it follows that, as an extension of me it carries my values to the extent of my influence on it, understanding the Constitutional limits of that influence. So sure. Most Americans still identify as Christians. If the need is there we should want it addressed. Were the Churches doing their job it would be a moot point, but it isn't and so the government supplements what the Body in its disorganized state either cannot do or will not do.

Sozo again

Not necessarily, but in our case yes. That is, if the government is to be of the people than it follows that, as an extension of me it carries my values to the extent of my influence on it, understanding the Constitutional limits of that influence. So sure. Most Americans still identify as Christians. If the need is there we should want it addressed. Were the Churches doing their job it would be a moot point, but it isn't and so the government supplements what the Body in its disorganized state either cannot do or will not do.
I certainly blame the churches for not caring for widows and orphans, but I really don't support the govt forcing people to care for others.

Son of Jack

This point is exactly why I am a moderate.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2207220 said:
I certainly blame the churches for not caring for widows and orphans, but I really don't support the govt forcing people to care for others.
Well, you know how I feel about that latter. For those who don't, you can't force anyone to do what they would willingly if asked and the rest are men to be contended with in the public square. What I would do as an individual is what I expect of a government that represents me. It's certainly a conversation worth having.

Good to see you about again, by the way. :D

MacGyver

We need some arguments in here. The easiest way to spice this thread up would be to list some things that are NOT the proper role of government. Things such as recreational drug consumption (as long as it isn't endangering other people), prostitution, and the FCC regulating language.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
In a nutshell....

The proper role of government is providing:

- National Defense
- Infrastructure
- Criminal Justice

And in "infrastructure" you include healthcare and welfare, both funded by high taxes on the rich to help the poor, right? If so, I agree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.