toldailytopic: What is the greatest nation in the world?

Dena

As for the original question, I have only lived in one country (and one state). I can't possibly tell you which country is the best. Different countries have different strengths and weaknesses. Is the US at the top of the list? Sure. But there are also others that are at the top.

Arthur Brain

I'm an American.
I am grateful to be an American.
I assume most folks believe their own country is the greatest?
I assume that if you don't care for your own country you are actively seeking to leave?
Don't let the door hit you in the hind end on your way out.

:think:

I'd have to disagree overall. I'm British and I'm glad I live in a nation where freedom of speech is tolerated and it's not a totalitarian state or some such. Yet I've never considered it the 'greatest country' or take pride in being born in England. Both seem like misnomers to me.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:think:

I'd have to disagree overall. I'm British and I'm glad I live in a nation where freedom of speech is tolerated and it's not a totalitarian state or some such. Yet I've never considered it the 'greatest country' or take pride in being born in England. Both seem like misnomers to me.

I've always thought of pride more in terms of actual accomplishment. I may admire certain things accomplished by my countrymen--the moon, baby, the FREAKING MOON--but I don't know if an accident of genetics and birth is enough for me to be "proud to be an American."

NewDay

Earth.

The sooner we realize that, the sooner our species can move forward and break the cycle of war and false peace.

:cool: thought, sad thing is though, earthly man does not have it in them...which is really why His Kingdom cannot be of this world.

Edit to add: Some are looking at this as simply just as pertaining to our physical needs. I suppose in that area, I would have to say that I am an American living in Canada.

I chose it that way.

Buzzword

I've always thought of pride more in terms of actual accomplishment. I may admire certain things accomplished by my countrymen--the moon, baby, the FREAKING MOON--but I don't know if an accident of genetics and birth is enough for me to be "proud to be an American."

Seriously.

I shook off nationalistic pride (aka just another reason to be arrogant/bigoted/ignorant) years ago.

I think looking at the accomplishments of individuals and saying "They're from where I'm from! AWESOME!" is only appropriate during childhood.

NewDay

Seriously.

I shook off nationalistic pride (aka just another reason to be arrogant/bigoted/ignorant) years ago.

I think looking at the accomplishments of individuals and saying "They're from where I'm from! AWESOME!" is only appropriate during childhood.

:thumb:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
The United States of America. I don't want to live in any other country.

This from a man who has traced ancestors back to the Trail of Tears.

Me? The abortion industry here always stops me from proclaiming this the greatest nation on earth. But even there I have to concede we're at least still fighting about it. That's very good.

So, yes. Greatest nation in the world. As far as nations go.