toldailytopic: What do you think God thinks about the Pope?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 5th, 2012 09:16 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God thinks the office of the Papacy is a sham. It is based on a misinterpretation of Matthew 16:18

To understand of the context one must look at Matthew 16:13-18
13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

Now what does God think of Pope Benedict?--I really don't know since I have not walked in the man's shoes and I know little about him. Only God knows his heart. Because a person is a Catholic or even a Pope doesn't automatically disqualify them from being Christian, nor does vic-versa.

lifeisgood

That he is lost just like any other man/woman that has NOT accepted and confessed Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross exclusively for Salvation.

HisServant

I don't think he thinks about the Pope any differently from any other human on this planet.

Other than the fact that the scripture teach that our leaders will be judged more harshly.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That he is lost just like any other man/woman that has NOT accepted and confessed Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross exclusively for Salvation.

Excellent point. Accepting and confessing Jesus and his sacrifice on the Cross is what defines a Christian. Not the name above the Church door.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I think God is hoping that this Pope will steer the RCC back towards Jesus.

Edial

I tend to agree with the response which says that God does not think about the Pope.

The Pope should fall into a category of people who would be held accountable for every word they speak.

MT 12:36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

It would be very difficult to defend yourself against such expert prosecutors

The claim of infallibility is a serious claim.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm more concerned with figuring out what God thinks about me thinking about what God thinks about the Pope.

textman

] Inzl Kett say: God thinks the office of the Papacy is a sham ...
Well said, Inzl. We tend to agree ... :thumb:

textman

] CabinetMaker say: I think God is hoping that this Pope will steer the RCC back towards Jesus.
Actually, my sources tell me that he is far more concerned about recovering the Cat-church's reputation, which has taken a beating from the latest scandals. He is also concerned about the so-called "new-evangelization" which I still can't figure out how it differs from the old-style cat-evangelization ... :hammer:

Letsargue

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 5th, 2012 09:16 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

God doesn't even know the Pope exists! - Where would anyone get the idea that God does??

Paul -- 070512