toldailytopic: What do you think about the practice of observing Lent?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 5th, 2013 06:00 AM

I think that like most things if you practice it enough you'll eventually get good at it. :thumb:

genuineoriginal

When I was a kid, the school always had fish on Fridays. I really liked fish sticks, so that was fine with me. I often wondered what the non-Catholic majority thought of it, though.

I looked forward to fish stick Fridays. It was years later that I learned that it was a Catholic tradition.

:idunno:

GuySmiley

Lent makes me happy. I imagine God is looking down on me and very impressed that I'm not drinking orange juice, or using facebook for a while.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I suppose the trick is to change your daily life in some way that keeps reminding you His sacrifice for us. To me, it was never so much sacrificing something, as doing something different to remind me of Him.

This Charming Manc

I have fasted it was good, don't give me days and tell me when to fast.

The only thing i give up for lent is religious holidays....

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

faramir77

Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

_Ezekiel 8

Go back to Roma.

genuineoriginal

Paul asks why any Christian would observe Lent and give up their favorite food as if it were a sin.

Colossians 3:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.​

Then Paul tells us the things to give up are real sins, because they are the things God hates.

Colossians 4:5-6
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:​

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I never heard of Lent until I came to Midwest. It just seems rather useless to me because it has no meaning to me. Jesus paid the price for my sin. I see no reason why I should punish myself by denying myself something during this time of year. Lent isn't found in the scripture so I find no reason to observe it. I would not condemn a Christian who does find it meaningful.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think it is a completely Catholic tradition and unnecessary.

Yes, I agree, it came from a pagan rite. It is also somewhat Platonic and a bit stoic. It is self-sacrifice, an act of individual works for atonement

Autumn Delight

To each is his own. I don't see the issue with it. Not interested in observing it myself ;yet it is not my place to tell someone it is an 'unnecessary' spiritual practice for their own personal lives.