toldailytopic: What are your favorite, and least favorite, topics to discuss on Theol

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 13th, 2011 07:14 AM

toldailytopic: What are your favorite, and least favorite, topics to discuss on TheologyOnline?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lon

I like about anything but overworked and tired threads that continually pop up every two weeks i.e. arian threads. WHAT is it about TOL that attacts that?

MrRadish

Threads where people openly discuss the reasons for their religious position (without just falling back on 'because it's true) can be very interesting, as they give an insight into the way people think, the personal and cultural factors behind faith, and possible problems or challenges related to a particular position. Likewise, polite discussions about broad political differences (as opposed to single issues) are good as they help one to gain a clearer understanding of why people you don't agree with hold the opinions they do, which enables more productive discussions in the future.

I hate discussing abortion (and to a lesser extent gun control and the death penalty) here because it always descends very quickly into a barrage of hostile, vulgar, emotionally-driven insults in lieu of logical points by most of the pro-lifers, with the pro-choicers very frequently getting sucked into completely the wrong arguments and re-stating the same ideologically-shaky political platitudes again and again and again.

I also enjoy threads about what kinds of thread I enjoy.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Favorite: young earth creation Ps 11:3 :jump:
Least favorite: homosexuality Lev. 18:22, 20:13, 1 Kin. 14:24, Rom. 1:24, 26, 27 :vomit:

Last edited:

Todah

I hate the sins of abortion and homosexuality, but I like to discuss them in the hopes that I might actually convince someone either directly or indirectly, that they might turn from their sin and-or their views of these sins, and turn to Jesus.

I was once a pro abortion, pro homosexual liberal agnostic, until God grabbed a hold of me despite my drunkenness, and filthy, lying mouth, and beliefs.

I thank God that there was one friend and one family member who were born again and kept telling me that in the midst of my sin, that I needed God, and that I needed a Savior. They kept praying for me, for years.
I also thank God that I was raised Catholic and I knew who Jesus was, and from the "Mass," I had memorized, at least some life giving scriptures. I also thank God for evangelical preachers on radio and TV.

I was born again one night, watching a TV preacher with a weekly show, and praying along with him, at the conclusion of his sermon.

I no longer like to discuss Calvinism, it is a dead end subject. It used to terrify me, as a young believer. Satan would whisper in my ear...... God did not choose you, and there is absolutely "nothing" you can do about it. As soon as you die, you will be burning in hell forever and ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe in one God and the trinity. However it is still a mystery to me, in some respects, and well worth discussing and getting other people's opinions about.

The problem of evil, is also still very much a mystery to everyone.

TOL does, and should continue to provide a forum for these discussions.

As a comedian once said of his jokes: "There are no new jokes, only new audiences."

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like to debate topics I feel strongly about--Abortion, Homosexuality the Death penalty.

I tend the shy away from theology because the Bible has all the theology I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzword

I guess I have to start with what I DON'T like, since most of what I do is "anything but..."

-anti-Catholic threads. By this point, we all know who hates Catholics and who is Catholic. Let it go.

-"liberals in the media". Same reasoning. We know exactly who is going to post what, so why rehash it again and again.

-abortion. Same reasoning.

-anti-Calvinism threads. Same reasoning.

...there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Basically, anything that's been broached multiple times already, to the point that all I have to see is a username to have some idea of what they said.

Thus I rarely set foot in the Politics forum anymore.

BUT when a NEW topic comes up, or at least one which isn't already occupying the first page of the forum, I tend to jump on it, if only to read through it.

Stuff like Krsto's "Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church" thread, or Nazaroo's religious cartoons.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I was once a pro abortion, pro homosexual liberal agnostic, until God grabbed a hold of me despite my drunkenness, and filthy, lying mouth, and beliefs...

Good for you. :thumb:

"[Billy] Sunday’s preaching style was as unorthodox as the day allowed. His vocabulary was so rough (e.g., “I don’t believe your own bastard theory of evolution, either; I believe it’s pure jackass nonsense”), Christian leaders cringed, and they often publicly criticized him. But Sunday didn’t care.." Full text: Billy Sunday: Salty evangelist

Honey badger :shocked: didn't care either.

Todah

Short answer. Things I feel strongly about..Abortion and homosexuality.

Things that are still a mystery to me to some extent.
The problem of evil, the Trinity, Creation!

Dead end topics. Canlvinism, KJV Onlyism.

Quincy

I also enjoy threads about what kinds of thread I enjoy.

Don't forget threads about pirates and gold bullion!

Least favorite: homosexuality :vomit:

Yet you continuously post in them :chuckle: .

I enjoy most threads, from metaphysical themed to zombie apocalypses to sports themed. I especially enjoy Arthur Brain's threads because they bring some cheer and laughs to what is sometimes a rather heavy website. Bless him!

The only threads I dislike are the ones who end up centered on girls digging you or whatever. In just the last week alone two girls gave me their numbers at work and I didn't even ask for them. Pfff, child's play.

Jokes folks, jokes.

Of course I dig those threads too :chuckle: .

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In short my theology is based on scripture. I am not a Calvinist, an Arian or a Arminian. The bible doesn't support any of those.

Newer translations do have there place when studying the meaning of a verse. Personally I like the old KJV. It has a nicer flow for me. I know it isn't too popular around here. Maybe that is why nobody ever nominates any of my posts.

As to DP--I am for the death penalty. Our society is coddling criminals that forfeited their right to live--rapists, pedophiles and murderers.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure. I get pretty excited to speak the truth, no matter the specific subject. I like discussing grace and the open view most of all. But I get really excited to talk about what is in the Bible vs. what people believe is in there, or want to believe that is opposed to it.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 13th, 2011 07:14 AM

toldailytopic: What are your favorite, and least favorite, topics to discuss on TheologyOnline?

Almost any topic can be interesting and be a "Favorite" while discussion goes on. Especially when new details are learned while browsing down through the comments. Essentially, it is the people responding who make the topics interesting. And maybe it is about favorite posters rather than favorite topics.

I guess any form of fanaticism would hit my "Least Favorite" list because of the bigotry factor.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
free will is the most important topic in that it involves the most dangerous heresy

i also like topics that mix religion and politics such as abortion and homosexuality

the worst are evolution and creationism
how can you spend so much time on something that is not important?

Buzzword

chrysostom said:

If I really took that question to heart, I wouldn't be here.

Of course, I wouldn't be watching TV or browsing the Internet either, but hey.

drbrumley

free will is the most important topic in that it involves the most dangerous heresy

i also like topics that mix religion and politics such as abortion and homosexuality

the worst are evolution and creationism

You forgot vote Republican at all costs.