toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?

Layla

Creepy as heck.

Hay, I think this is the first thread I've seen on this site where pretty much everybody is in agreement. Weeeeeeird.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then again, we don't seem to have a huge issue with children participating in sports whether they like it or not. Less of an ick factor, obviously.

Teaching a child to play the violin or to play baseball doesn't sexualize the child like a beauty pageant does. The sexualization is the ick factor. Teaching a child a skill or a team sport can be beneficial if not done to excess. It teaches the child self discipline. Today there is the tendency for laziness in young people. I don't regret my parents having me taught the violin. It is a skill I still use.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Teaching a child to play the violin or to play baseball doesn't sexualize the child like a beauty pageant does. The sexualization is the ick factor. Teaching a child a skill or a team sport can be beneficial if not done to excess. It teaches the child self discipline. Today there is the tendency for laziness in young people. I don't regret my parents having me taught the violin. It is a skill I still use.

Well, yes. Of course. But any activity a child's pushed into purely for the sake of their parents--and really, who else are these pageants for?--strikes me as borderline abusive.

It also brings to mind dog shows.

Disgusting.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'll do whatever I can to keep my little girl from having her self-worth be wrapped up in our culture's definition of beauty. She's beautiful because she's made in God's own image (Genesis 1:26-28) and has a beautiful spirit of faith (1 Peter 3:3-6).

:first:....Post of the year, in my opinion!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Creepy as heck.

Hay, I think this is the first thread I've seen on this site where pretty much everybody is in agreement. Weeeeeeird.

:noid:

You're right!

Now, who are you again? :D

Dena

I think the mothers should get beat up

Finally we agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I don't think they should be beaten but I do think they are disgusting. They exploit these children for some sort inner personal gain. They teach these little girls that being pretty makes you a "winner". It's vile.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
I've always been opposed to child beauty pageants because children do not need to be exposed to such vanities.
To boot, they are so unnatural. The way they dress up those little girls in skimpy outfits and makeup., it's preposterous.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I think this just represents a larger problem in our culture in regards to beauty. It isn't unusual for a woman to be disgusted at these types of things but then again I am sure that those same woman wear make-up. Why?

It seems that the only reason why woman wear make-up is because they have grown to believe that they aren't pretty enough if they don't. They have believed that they must paint their face as if it were a canvas so that they can then feel good about the way they look and themselves.

When a woman wears make-up she is telling her little kids "Mommy isn't pretty enough...". The little girls then learns that she too must not be pretty enough and the little boy learns to desire the fake beauty rather than the real beauty.

Dena

I think this just represents a larger problem in our culture in regards to beauty. It isn't unusual for a woman to be disgusted at these types of things but then again I am sure that those same woman wear make-up. Why?

There is a HUGE difference between putting a mask on a little girl, fake teeth, hair pieces, dressing her up in revealing clothing and parading her around on stage while she wiggles and gives the judges googly eyes...and a woman putting on some powder and blush for church.

When a woman wears make-up she is telling her little kids "Mommy isn't pretty enough...". The little girls then learns that she too must not be pretty enough and the little boy learns to desire the fake beauty rather than the real beauty.

I can't say I entirely disagree.

tudorturtl

makes me cringe basically teaching an impressionable child that it's not about who you are but about who you can fool the world into believing you are.
it reeks of dishonesty at it's very core

Dena

I've always been opposed to child beauty pageants because children do not need to be exposed to such vanities.
To boot, they are so unnatural. The way they dress up those little girls in skimpy outfits and makeup., it's preposterous.

and bathing suits, don't forget the bathing suits. there shouldn't be anything weird about a little girl in a bathing suit but they make it weird by putting them on display the way they do. it's gross.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Finally we agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I don't think they should be beaten but I do think they are disgusting. They exploit these children for some sort inner personal gain. They teach these little girls that being pretty makes you a "winner". It's vile.

have to start somewhere

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I'd consider anything that exploits a child, prematurely ages them, and forces kids to serve as vicarious avatars for their parents to be semi-abusive.

It is rare but, we are absolutely in agreement here. :chuckle:

Then again, we don't seem to have a huge issue with children participating in sports whether they like it or not. Less of an ick factor, obviously.

I agree with you here too Granite, I do not force my boys to participate in any sports, my oldest has took a shine to golf & tennis and I support him in that but, if he decides he is no longer interested I'm O.K. with that. Wow, agreement twice in one post...and one day too. :D

Lovejoy

I just think they are lucky I don't enter my girl, cause it would be a smack....down....

Anyway, why not just have dogs then, and show them? And what keeps these people from trying to have their kids registered as some kind of purebreed? Is it not more similar than not?

elohiym

It seems that the only reason why woman wear make-up is because they have grown to believe that they aren't pretty enough if they don't. They have believed that they must paint their face as if it were a canvas so that they can then feel good about the way they look and themselves.

Feeling good?

bobeck_mimi2.jpg