toldailytopic: The ability to speak, hear, or see. If you could only keep one of thes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 21st, 2010 10:16 AM

toldailytopic: The ability to speak, hear, or see. If you could only keep one of these which would it be and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is a tough one.... but I think I would want the ability to see more than speak or hear. The tough part is you can only keep one, which means if you can see you could speak OR hear which would be a challenge.

Even still... I need my eyes for the work that I do and I need to be able to support my family.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'm going to be a medical transcriptionist, so that's actually rather a weird one for me, when I think about it like that. If I take hearing, then I won't be able to see what I'm typing. If I take seeing, then I can't hear what I need to type. :noid:

Pink Fuzzy Bunny

I'd definitely take the ability to see, simply because when I take part in dumb blindfolding games, it's the most frustrating thing ever to just walk around blind.

Hearing, however, I would be welcome to lose. Silence is golden :D

If you can't speak, you can still write, since you can see. And then you wouldn't have to worry about saying anything stupid or impulsive.

That being said, I wouldn't mind being deaf and dumb :D

Dena

The ability to see because there is so much beauty in the world I would hate to not be able to see it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would keep the ability to see just because it would be the hardest of the three to live without.

Even without hearing, it is still possible to read and understand the expressions on the faces of your loved ones.

Even without speaking, it is still possible to tell those who mean the most how much they mean to you by eye to eye contact.

lucy

For me it would depend on the age at which these deficits were acquired. If you are pre-lingually deafened, that is a big challenge to overcome, because in the absence of the early implantation of a cochlear implant, it will be very, very difficult to learn spoken language, to speak "normally" (i.e. without a nasal tone etc.) , read, and write. There is great controversy over cochlear implants among the deaf community, however.

If you can hear at birth, but cannot see, you can still develop language and speech at a rate similar to other seeing individuals. If you can see and hear at birth, but not speak, (developmental apraxia of speech disorder) then you can still communicate with sign language, but you would need specialized schooling where the teachers signed as well.

If you are post-lingually deafened, like Rush Limbaugh, you already have a language base, and whatever amplification system you use will enhance your ability to communicate without the need for extensive speech-language therapy like a pre-lingually deafened child needs.

So, if I had to choose one the deficits, I would choose to be post-lingually deafened, because I love to read and would not want to give up my sight, and I love to talk and have the freedom to speak with whomever I choose. As a post-lingually deafened adult, if there were no medical contraindications, I could then have bilateral cochlear implants to "restore" hearing (albeit it is not "normal" hearing) and pretty much continue to live my life as a "hearing" person.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
I would keep the ability to see just because it would be the hardest of the three to live without.

Even without hearing, it is still possible to read and understand the expressions on the faces of your loved ones.

Even without speaking, it is still possible to tell those who mean the most how much they mean to you by eye to eye contact.

Totally agree.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lose the sight. Because the drive up ATM has Braille. I don't need ears either. But you will have to hear what I have to say. ;)

zoo22

See
Hear
Speak

I definitely wonder how different it would be for one to lose any of those abilities (after having lived with them) as opposed to being born without them.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 21st, 2010 10:16 AM

toldailytopic: The ability to speak, hear, or see. If you could only keep one of these which would it be and why?

I would keep sight and I don't think it's even a hard choice for me. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.