toldailytopic: "Soup kitchens": Do they help or hurt the homeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholsmom

Right - better to let the lazy so-and-sos starve in the streets. Christ would have wanted it that way, especially if they are not born again.
Why don't they just get jobs like everyone else?

I happen to disagree with Knight on this issue, but you need to get a few manners - and a clue about logic. You have created here what is known as a false dichotomy. Then notion that there are only two possible solutions to the problem of poverty (throw money/food or let them starve) is an absurdity. The number of solutions is vast. Why not ask Knight what he'd suggest to replace soup kitchens?

You have also put words in Knights mouth - why in the world would you attribute "Christ would have wanted it that way, especially if they are not born again" to Knight's theology? Do you have any idea at all what Knight thinks Christ would have us do for the unsaved poor?

Take a breath and use your brain before posting - it will improve your posts a hundred-fold :thumb:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope you're referring to 'old timer' as in the sense of tenure...

:plain: :noid:

*backs away slowly* y...yes, that is exactly what I meant. :chuckle:

Then we're not completely off the same page on this that I can see. Soup kitchens in themselves will never solve the problem. All they can do is provide some temporary shelter, warmth and food, but that's still better than nothing if you're cold and hungry. But it's obviously not a solution and that's what needs to be addressed. I'd love for kitchens to be completely unnecessary but if it's reliant on the conditional help of churches and 'moral individuals' then that won't cut it.

Oh, sure...now you have to go and make a valid point. :argue:

I am still not too keen on soup kitchens for the various reasons I have already mentioned, but I suppose if they must needs remain, there should be a system (such as those indicated above) in place that prevents people from making them a permanent source of food and/or shelter. They should be working toward a betterment of life.

It's not as though I don't support trying to encourage people to get out of the rut, but when you figure in all the factors such as health etc it's not something that could be applicable to everyone in such a position.

I concede. Er...um...I believe that I did make that very observation several times above. *clears throat* :drum:

And yes, you're not kidding anyone, you need to be waaaaaay more concise. :eek:

Poppycock! That is like the concise OED...rubbish! Bring on all 20 volumes.

I await your challenge with eager anticipation!

:devil:

Yes, I am the first to admit that I suffer from logolepsy.

Is there a 12-step program (that's programme to you, buster!) for that?

Here is your challenge...

You must use (naturally) in a sentence the following:

quisguous
thelypythoric
thersitical
decumbence
leggiadrous
AND
nictitate

(If you can create your sentence AND stay on topic, you get 1,000 bonus points.)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lo! Behold!

Only in the mouths of some conservative christians you'll see "followers of christ" rejecting charity... With social darwinism as backing up their arguments!

Hilarious.

Holding "public decency" and "christian values" as an excuse to be jerks to or even oppress their fellow human beings, and "tough love" as a fancy excuse to avoid fulfilling their duty to give charity.

Jesus was no authoritarian, and wasn't a social darwinist either. The guy was all into "feed the hungry, give a beer to the thirsty, clothe the naked and shelter the homeless"'n'stuff.

Pharisees, the whole lot of'em.

I think (and I can only speak for myself...and I have...) that those who are voicing their opposition to soup kitchens are contending that there may be better charitable ways of caring for indigent people and that constantly giving to able-bodied individuals everything for free is not only not doing them any favors, but is unbiblical as well.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some research shows they won't work for food. Despite what the sign says. Try it sometime. Offer foor for work around your house. See what he says.

Exactly.

I have done that very thing on 4 (it may have been 5, I cannot honestly remember) occasions.

I approached those holding the signs and offered to let them work in my yard for generous pay. I was turned down in each instance.

This could have other, more serious consequences as well. Elizabeth Smart's father hired her eventual kidnapper to do work around his home for him. He (the kidnapper) used this opportunity to scope out Elizabeth and her sister, get to know their home defenses, and return at a later date to take Elizabeth away. Fortunately they were able to get Elizabeth back safely and put that sicko away for good.

This may be an isolated example, but it merits consideration.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It is mildly painful for me to read this type of post. As a child, when my mother decided to verbally chastise me, she would make an incredibly mean and insulting remark. It would make me cry and erode my confidence. I finally asked her "Why are you so mean to me?" (I loved her dearly). Her reply? "I'm not mean. I'm just stating the truth." If I had allowed her truth to define me I would not have survived.
I do hope, if you are a parent, that you do not call your children names?
TH is not a child. Now go grab a box of tissues and stop crying on your computer.

Actually it started because you made a mistaken assumption. When I call for charity and you attack the notion (for whatever hidden, larger motive) I have no particular reason to assume you don't appear to mean what you say, while your idea of my limit on assistance couldn't be rationally said to spring from my position.
You supported a system that limits its assistance to giving a man a fish. You the proceeded to remain silent on your stance [that you now claim to have] that we should not stop there.

And you used verses to support an argument against me that were not even germane to the topic.

Following that you continued to argue for nothing more than giving a man a fish.

Not once did you even imply we should go beyond that.

You should care (by which I mean consider for your own benefit) what anyone with years of experience and a wider vista of understanding has to say about you and your offerings here, even if you ultimately reject the critique. That's the learning/growing process in a nutshell.
You're not worth considering.

This just keeps getting funnier. Commas and subtraction, eh? There's a commentary in there you know (optional breath mark omitted).
:plain:

Then you must not possess one or undervalue it... An undergraduate degree at even a state college makes a statement that the person possessing it has been reasonably exposed to contrary opinion and a host of new ideas, evidences sufficient ability and determination to have matriculated the course, so to speak, and has earned a measure of respect in accord with a still rare enough accomplishment when measured against the history of man (cumulative and recent). An advanced degree, earned from a reputable school, is another animal. There, the best of that undergraduate class vies for a limited number of seats and the requirements for acceptance are elevated. Many a determined, bright and willing participant is refused admission.
I've met plenty of people with degrees who are dumb as a box of rocks.

For instance, my entrance into law school was the result of a sufficiently distinguished academic record to set me apart from other applicants and a top ten percentile score on the LSAT (designed to weed among the academically gifted applying, as you might or should surmise). And that's just the ticket for the right to then compete among a rather driven, capable pool. Half my L1 class perished on the vine. Those that survived were particularly noteworthy and thrived in the pressure cooker demands of advanced academics. Taking honors in that group was an honor within an honor.

And then, if you manage to gain entrance and then survive the process, there's the bar. A fellow from Yale law sat across from me for three days of mind numbing inquiry (we had to let the poor fellow sit somewhere :D), the end of which saw a great number of those present no closer to the practice than they were before they entered the building. Many never make a second attempt.

So if all you gleaned was that I took classes, your consideration is grotesquely inadequate to the task...something of a habit with you.
You passed the test because of your parroting skills.

Re: your nature.

Again, I'm sorry to hear it, but you're old enough to recognize poor conduct and do something about it. People are born to and with worse to work with and manage nicely enough. Get on with it for your own sake.
You assume the conduct is poor.

Not particularly, though you've struggled with things (especially inference) that you shouldn't unless you're confusing it with memory, which is only part of the picture.
Translation: I, Town Heretic, don't want to admit I'm wrong so don't show me that I am.

Do you know the average reading level for an adult American? Aspire to more, if you're capable (which you certainly appear to be). But you aren't competing or discussing with the average American here. Writers tend to be readers and both tend to be toward the top end of that comprehension pool.
Why aspire to my current position? My reading level has been well above average for as long as I can remember. And it remains so. I was even tested as recently as a few months ago.

I'm not going to hold your hand through the error of your assertion or the logical necessity of my counter. Again, you haven't earned it. You had the more amiable, helpful me a bit earlier. Now you can work through it and counter or not as you can (or can't, depending).
Deuteronomy 15 shows that poverty can be reduced, greatly, if we help the poor as God commands. And His command is to give the poor what they need, not whatever they ask for.

The verses in question were that narrowing I noted which is why I pointed you to Luke and a broader consideration, which you then were either too invested to attempt or incapable of seeing for God knows what reason.
And you failed in that too. You clearly lack any comprehension of the Bible.

It is exceedingly sad that you read the passage in Luke and think it refers to the poor.

You would have been better off quoting Matthew 26.

I know this is difficult for you, but I set out your quotes. A thing cannot be "more clever" absent the second leg of that construction. That's part of what I meant by reading comprehension and your pronounced need of further academic instruction. It's logic. You substitute declaration and epithet for it.
Let me reiterate: I was being sarcastic. I meant that your actual remark was not clever by sarcastically implying it was.:dunce::duh:

:rolleyes: What you don't see isn't in question. What you should is another matter altogether.
:yawn:

No, this is you trying to rewrite to avoid looking foolish. Sarcasm isn't found in attempting to better a practice. That's condescension, which is in your case an air without support.
1 is more than zero, right?

So something that is clever is more clever than something that is not at all clever.

And where did you get the idea I was "attempting to better a practice"? If you've been paying attention you will notice I've been condescending quite a lot.

Oh, I intend to stick around and continue to instruct you until you learn a better practice or are driven to a more impressive reach by necessity. I can't force maturity or consideration upon you, but I can exact the consequence for their absence and hope it eventually motivates you.
You are no Tony Robbins.

See? That's part of what vocabulary and memory aren't indicative of that I alluded to prior. A grasp of nuance, inference and argument not set out like a child's toy is part of the package. Oh, all right. Wrapping your conduct in the honesty gambit is an attempt to raise immaturity to virtue. It can't be done. A racist might be honest about his bigotry, but it's still reprehensible thought that leads to lamentable action for anyone not crippled by it. I think you're capable of more. Aspire to it.
Apparently you are incapable of comprehension yourself.

My remark was rhetorical, as thought I were asking, "What's your point," when I already know your point and am conveying the message that your point is a failure, most likely from the outset. Or to say, you are correct to some degree and I am not bothered by it. I.e., I don't care.

And that's admirable, but insufficient if you understand the real point of education, which isn't the intellectual equivalent of a trade school. I have a good friend who is remarkably intelligent and who has never had a great deal of formal education. As a result he has an impressive grasp of the things that interest him and a want for much more. It hobbles him in larger argument and reflection because a great deal of what he either isn't interested in or hasn't been exposed to influences and relates to what he knows and/or thinks.
And yet I've taught myself things in which I had no interest.

Now why would I do that?

It's a serious limitation and no man of intellectual substance would wish it on another.
:blabla:

Edit: It was a funnier answer, though no more or less insulting.
To you maybe. Then again you don't know what a Republican is these days.

Good gravy, LH! What a mess you have made all because of one simple oversight on your part - that TH is not stupid, nor is he uneducated, nor stubborn.
Do you honestly think that is what this is about? And at what point did I say he was uneducated? My point is that his education lends itself to his problem.

There is no oversight here. Don't make stupid assumptions. You know me better than that.

Consider: since we know that our Heretic is no simpleton, we can assume that when he "fails to get" an implication, it isn't because he doesn't understand it, or that he misses it, but rather because he's not buying it. So instead of trying to lead him along with clues and whatnot, realize that you are going to have to make the argument rather than making an implication of an argument - vinegar? Really, LH, I've seen you lay out an argument quite well when you take the time to do so. Stop all the dancing about, quit smirking, lay out your arguments in good, plain English the way I know you can, and you will do well.

1. I take it you don't get the vinegar insult
  2. If I laid out exactly what I truly wanted to say I wouldn't be posting on TOL for a few days.

One more thing: if you would get off your high horse ("Let's see if you're any good at math" :rolleyes:), you would be taken more seriously. I mean, what do you have against answering a question simply? Doesn't it give you indigestion to be so prickly?
Did you miss the part where my question, re: math, was turning his own comment about my math skills back onto him?

He, foolishly, assumed I was poor at math because he assumed I was younger than I am and did not consider that my question about his age being in the fifties meant that I was older than he assumed.

Arthur Brain

*backs away slowly* y...yes, that is exactly what I meant. :chuckle:

Be afraid, be very afraid....(Points for film reference)

Oh, sure...now you have to go and make a valid point. :argue:

Well, it does happen on occasion ya know....:noid:

I am still not too keen on soup kitchens for the various reasons I have already mentioned, but I suppose if they must needs remain, there should be a system (such as those indicated above) in place that prevents people from making them a permanent source of food and/or shelter. They should be working toward a betterment of life.

Well they're not really a permanent source of food/shelter as it is. They serve as a temporary respite albeit a hopefully regular one depending. Unfortunately, from a realistic perspective there will always be those who require such help no matter what system is put in place IMO. In regards to helping people work towards a betterment of life then absolutely, I agree. The goal should be to help as many off the streets and into something resembling a quality of life. What concerns me is what form that would take, especially if one of the few lifelines these people have is taken away with nothing in its place. If we leave it to Churches and individuals to care for the needy then it's luck of the draw as to who would actually receive help. How would it be organized to be effective as oppose to the state?

I concede. Er...um...I believe that I did make that very observation several times above. *clears throat* :drum:

I believe you may have.

Poppycock! That is like the concise OED...rubbish! Bring on all 20 volumes.

Balderdash! And I'll have you know that I use Chambers when I can find a copy....:plain:

Yes, I am the first to admit that I suffer from logolepsy.

Is there a 12-step program (that's programme to you, buster!) for that?

Yes. Us Brits don't shy away from proper spelling just because it involves writing a few more letters :nananana:

Here is your challenge...

You must use (naturally) in a sentence the following:

quisguous
thelypythoric
thersitical
decumbence
leggiadrous
AND
nictitate

(If you can create your sentence AND stay on topic, you get 1,000 bonus points.)

Well, it's been a long day so I'm currently 'decumbent', and I'm rather chagrined to see that 'quisguous', 'thelypythoric', and 'leggiadrous' don't seem to exist as words which is rather relevant to the topic as we can hardly educate the homeless if we don't get the vernacular correct ourselves, added to which I'm not in the best of moods and my language would be rather 'thersitical' were I to continue much longer, so I shall give a nod and a 'nictitate' in your general direction and await my well earned 1,000 points.

:e4e:

:devil:

MrRadish

Well, it's been a long day so I'm currently 'decumbent', and I'm rather chagrined to see that 'quisguous', 'thelypythoric', and 'leggiadrous' don't seem to exist as words which is rather relevant to the topic as we can hardly educate the homeless if we don't get the vernacular correct ourselves, added to which I'm not in the best of moods and my language would be rather 'thersitical' were I to continue much longer, so I shall give a nod and a 'nictitate' in your general direction and await my well earned 1,000 points.

Yes, I have to say, I find the word 'quisguous' particularly quisquous...

kmoney

Hall of Fame
If they are a moron, yes. Especially if I have corrected them several times and they still don't get it.
Why? I still don't see how honesty demands any sort of name-calling.

But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.
-1 Corinthians 14:38
Because you said, immediately above, that you do try to correct people I will assume that you don't desire to leave people in their ignorance from the start. You argue with people and eventually leave them if the discussion doesn't get anywhere. If that assumption is correct, I don't see the point in you posting that verse. If that assumption is incorrect and you think that you shouldn't try to correct someone's ignorance, I think you are misusing that verse. And you also, apparently, don't follow what you think scripture says.

Actually the cupcakes exacerbated my condition, apparently.
Too bad.

nicholsmom

He, foolishly, assumed I was poor at math because he assumed I was younger than I am...

Stop right there, Lighthouse. Think about that. Why did he assume you are younger than you are? What would give him the impression that you were in your early 20s?

I'll give you a hint - it isn't because he's pompously looking down his nose.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Stop right there, Lighthouse. Think about that. Why did he assume you are younger than you are? What would give him the impression that you were in your early 20s?

I'll give you a hint - it isn't because he's pompously looking down his nose.

Oh! oh! :wave2: I know why! I know why! :wave2:

But let's see if LH can figure it out. :think:

:chuckle:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Be afraid, be very afraid....(Points for film reference)

Well, being the courteous fellow that I am, I will avoid Google for this one and simply venture a guess.

What is...Addams Family Values?

Well, it does happen on occasion ya know....:noid:

I can see that. That is worrisome. :chuckle: (Are you not diverted?)

Well they're not really a permanent source of food/shelter as it is. They serve as a temporary respite albeit a hopefully regular one depending. Unfortunately, from a realistic perspective there will always be those who require such help no matter what system is put in place IMO. In regards to helping people work towards a betterment of life then absolutely, I agree. The goal should be to help as many off the streets and into something resembling a quality of life. What concerns me is what form that would take, especially if one of the few lifelines these people have is taken away with nothing in its place. If we leave it to Churches and individuals to care for the needy then it's luck of the draw as to who would actually receive help. How would it be organized to be effective as oppose to the state?

I knew so many that were repeat offenders, so to speak. There was one family, for instance, in which the father started coming in his teens, married eventually, and started bringing his children. Week after week. Year after year. I cannot possibly know all the variables in his life, but it seemed to me that he was capable of working, should he choose to.

Balderdash! And I'll have you know that I use Chambers when I can find a copy....:plain:

Chambers? Chambers?? You are a fan of crosswords and scrabble, are you not?

Yes. Us Brits don't shy away from proper spelling just because it involves writing a few more letters :nananana:

As long as you keep your commas and apostrophes where they belong, I shan't object to your letter-happy spelling practices.

I'm rather chagrined to see that 'quisguous', 'thelypythoric', and 'leggiadrous' don't seem to exist as words...

That, sir, is an outrage! Do you harbor doubts as to the veracious nature of the words that you are so quick to dismiss? You think that I am trying to cheat you at Scrabble? If you need the definitions of said words, do not hesitate to make your need known to me. I offer my services despite your pernicious attitude.

...which is rather relevant to the topic as we can hardly educate the homeless if we don't get the vernacular correct ourselves, added to which I'm not in the best of moods...

Are you esurient? Have yourself some comestibles and come back to the game.

...and my language would be rather 'thersitical' were I to continue much longer, so I shall give a nod and a 'nictitate' in your general direction and await my well earned 1,000 points.

975 and not a point more.

Arthur Brain

Nope. It's The Fly (1986). :p

I know! :mmph: Directed by a favourite auteur of mine no less, Mr David Cronenberg. However, it would have been darn funny if it was the tag line for a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan Schmaltzfest dontcha think? :D

Semi funny?

Quasi amusing?

Ok. Not funny at all then.

Arthur Brain

Well, being the courteous fellow that I am, I will avoid Google for this one and simply venture a guess.

What is...Addams Family Values?

A courageous though feeble guess sir. I mean c'mon, who could be afraid of The Addams Family? The Waltons are scarier....:plain:

As TH has butted in with tis indeed 'The Fly'

I can see that. That is worrisome. :chuckle: (Are you not diverted?)

Worrisome? Be afraid, be very afr.....oh, we've done that....

I knew so many that were repeat offenders, so to speak. There was one family, for instance, in which the father started coming in his teens, married eventually, and started bringing his children. Week after week. Year after year. I cannot possibly know all the variables in his life, but it seemed to me that he was capable of working, should he choose to.

I don't deny that this sort of thing occurs but I don't see how this addresses the fundamental problem itself. For example, I used to visit a friend who at the time lived in one of the most run down areas in the North of England. Drink and drugs were rife. Job prospects verged on practically non existent. Kids being brought up in such an environment etc. I was brought up in a pretty middle class upbringing, had a decent education and encouraged to learn and value morals. I didn't want for food or shelter at any point so how can I judge those who may have been reduced to apathy as any kind of argument? It's not addressing the problem which the state conveniently sweeps under the carpet while making a token gesture to recognize it every now and again. What's the solution?

Chambers? Chambers?? You are a fan of crosswords and scrabble, are you not?

I was quite partial to scrabble until a friend of mine used to decimate me at it with words that a Klingon would be proud to pronounce. :plain:

As long as you keep your commas and apostrophes where they belong, I shan't object to your letter-happy spelling practices.

How very obliging of you sir.....

That, sir, is an outrage! Do you harbor doubts as to the veracious nature of the words that you are so quick to dismiss? You think that I am trying to cheat you at Scrabble? If you need the definitions of said words, do not hesitate to make your need known to me. I offer my services despite your pernicious attitude.

I do indeed harboUr doubts sir! The veracity of any given word is incumbent upon recognition as part of the native tongue, or in this case an online dictionary....One apologises for any perniciousness in regards to demeanour, or at least as much as one can while trying not to laugh...:plain:

Are you esurient? Have yourself some comestibles and come back to the game.

Are we playing scrabble? One has already indulged in the gastric delights of two Cornish pasties, which if the truth be told weren't particularly delightful at all and a plate of braised sawdust would likely have been equally more nutritious and palatable, but I digress....

975 and not a point more.

Meh. Good enough :D

Status
Not open for further replies.