toldailytopic: "Soup kitchens": Do they help or hurt the homeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What am I then if I do not tell them and just let them think themselves wise?
No one is saying you can't try to correct them if you think they are in err.

I never said it did. But when they can't understand simple language...
Are you sure you never said that? Because I'm pretty sure you said exactly that to TH. TH said...
"Then you're smart enough to realize there are two answers to that implied question: either I don't get what you're saying, or that I've come to a contrary opinion. Neither of those would make me a moron or an idiot or any other personal valuation that doesn't really belong in a discussion among men and neither advances your argument nor adds to the quality of discourse."
And you responded with...
"Yes they would."

And what do you mean by understand simple language? Because I think that's just another way for you to say that they should agree with you.

I don't call people idiot's if they aren't.
You mean you don't call people idiots if you don't THINK they are.

And you don't need an apostrophe there.

If they aren't smart enough to figure it out on their own they're an idiot. Plain as that.
And by "figure it out on their own" I assume you mean side with you?

I don't argue over opinions.
Sure you do. And when you call someone an idiot, moron, etc. those are your opinions too.

I don't know how to be arrogant. If you don't believe me I can show you the psych eval.
Then I guess one doesn't need to know how to be arrogant to be arrogant.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
LH is an army of one.

Stand up and take note all ye inhabitants of the earth!
We (the TOL collective) are all glaringly wrong, and he is right.

What is wrong with all of us that we should let our sanity slip so far that we could miss the amiable courage and sactified gallantry of his words?

His persnickety dialogue is nothing more than simple accismus toward us! He is all humility and does not wish to drawn undue attention to himself.

He is only trying to help us, after all.

He is only pointing out the error of our flawed and fallible thinking.

We are the anti-Christ incarnate, and it is we who should confront our demons and repent, lest we fall into a pit so dark and egregious that we cannot hope to ever see the light again.

Come on fellow TOLers! We need to bow to the galumptious virtuosity of Lighthouse!

We must fall in and correct our sanguinary methodologies. Bybee, repent woman! Town Heratic, stop with the malicous attacks on his character! What is wrong with you people?!?!

LH is an inspiration to us all...

:guitar: :dunce: :ha: :cheers:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
LH is an army of one.

What is wrong with all of us that we should let our sanity slip so far that we could miss the amiable courage and sactified gallantry of his words?

His persnickety dialogue is nothing more than simple accismus toward us! He is all humility and does not wish to drawn undue attention to himself.

We are the anti-Christ incarnate, and it is we who should confront our demons and repent, lest we fall into a pit so dark and egregious that we cannot hope to ever see the light again.

Come on fellow TOLers! We need to bow to the galumptious virtuosity of Lighthouse!

We must fall in and correct our sanguinary methodologies. Bybee, repent woman! Town Heratic, stop with the malicous attacks on his character! What is wrong with you people?!?!

:BRAVO:

bybee

Well

Well

LH is an army of one.

I try to be nice. It doesn't always work!
Is he related to the "Galloping Gourmet" do you think?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Said the kid without qualification or serious study to a practioner of the law. :plain:
This is the information age. I know how our justice system works fails.

No one is saying you can't try to correct them if you think they are in err.
Then stop whining about it.

Are you sure you never said that? Because I'm pretty sure you said exactly that to TH. TH said...
"Then you're smart enough to realize there are two answers to that implied question: either I don't get what you're saying, or that I've come to a contrary opinion. Neither of those would make me a moron or an idiot or any other personal valuation that doesn't really belong in a discussion among men and neither advances your argument nor adds to the quality of discourse."
And you responded with...
"Yes they would."
And what do you mean by understand simple language? Because I think that's just another way for you to say that they should agree with you.
Are you admitting you don't understand what I posted?

Do you know the number of people who have disagreed with me on this site who have not once been called an idiot, or a moron, or any other such name by me? It is a greater number than those who have.

For instance, how often have I directed such insults toward you?

Or is this not the first time I have done so regarding TH?

You mean you don't call people idiots if you don't THINK they are.
Keep telling yourself that.

And you don't need an apostrophe there.
I type too fast.

And by "figure it out on their own" I assume you mean side with you?
And you assume falsely.

Sure you do. And when you call someone an idiot, moron, etc. those are your opinions too.
:blabla:

Then I guess one doesn't need to know how to be arrogant to be arrogant.
I'm not conceited, I'm convinced.

LH is an army of one.

Care to tell us what I did to you to bring about this reaction?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Then stop whining about it.
I don't think I'm whining.

Are you admitting you don't understand what I posted?
What you posted seems pretty obvious to me. You said that if someone doesn't get what you're saying or has a different opinion then they are a moron. If that's not what you mean, you should choose your wording more carefully.

Do you know the number of people who have disagreed with me on this site who have not once been called an idiot, or a moron, or any other such name by me? It is a greater number than those who have.
Great. And it'd be even better if you turned that number that you call morons to 0.

For instance, how often have I directed such insults toward you?
Not often. We don't really discuss many things though.

Or is this not the first time I have done so regarding TH?
:idunno: It being the first time doesn't make it any better. There shouldn't have been a first time.

Keep telling yourself that.
Don't keep telling yourself that it isn't.

I'm not conceited, I'm convinced.
So you think being convinced means you have to act like you do? Maybe this is kinda like you thinking honesty demands you call people derogatory names.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't think I'm whining.
If you say so. You're entitled to your opinion.

What you posted seems pretty obvious to me. You said that if someone doesn't get what you're saying or has a different opinion then they are a moron. If that's not what you mean, you should choose your wording more carefully.
Not at all what I said. If they don't understand it, they're a moron. If they understand, yet disagree that's a different story.

Great. And it'd be even better if you turned that number that you call morons to 0.
Too boring.

Not often. We don't really discuss many things though.
But when we do you often understand what I am saying. You even understand MAD quite well, but you don't agree.

:idunno: It being the first time doesn't make it any better. There shouldn't have been a first time.
I agree. He shouldn't have been a moron.

Don't keep telling yourself that it isn't.
And what I think is right.

Not always, but in those instances...

So you think being convinced means you have to act like you do? Maybe this is kinda like you thinking honesty demands you call people derogatory names.
I find people often feel belittled when someone is smarter, even though no one does anything to belittle them. They just don't like being the stupid one in the conversation.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Care to tell us what I did to you to bring about this reaction?

Certainly.

Ready?

:drum:

nothing

That's right, nothing. But you did, however, attack those that are good, kind, and faithful servants of Our Lord and Savior.

Differing opinions, notwithstanding.

I've been here about 5 seconds compared to most of you (no news there), and I usually withhold such judgemental declarations until knowing a person's words and/or deeds far better than I could possibly know yours in such a short amount of time, and yet, I felt obligated in this instance.

I have seldom read such skullduggery.

So now I have a question for you, if I may.

Why would you want to speak to a fellow believer in Jesus Christ in such a vituperatory manner? I seriously cannot fathom it. Both TH, Bybee, and others have exchanged words with you, certainly, but without the venom that is so interwoven in your tirades. Bybee is the very picture of amiable civility. TH's wit and charm is the outer crust on a soft and sincere soldier of God. What have they done to you?

Can you help me out with that?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Certainly.

Ready?

nothing

That's right, nothing. But you did, however, attack those that are good, kind, and faithful servants of Our Lord and Savior.

I've been here about 5 seconds compared to most of you (no news there), and I usually withhold such judgemental declarations until knowing a person's words and/or deeds far better than I could possibly know yours in such a short amount of time, and yet, I felt obligated in this instance.

Why would you want to speak to a fellow believer in Jesus Christ in such a vituperatory manner? I seriously cannot fathom it. Both TH, Bybee, and others have exchanged words with you, certainly, but without the venom that is so interwoven in your tirades. Bybee is the very picture of amiable civility. TH's wit and charm is the outer crust on a soft and sincere soldier of God. What have they done to you?

Their mistake was disagreeing with an overfed idiot man child. That's it.

Brandon brings nothing here except his arrogance, pique, spite, and rotten character.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If you say so. You're entitled to your opinion.

Not at all what I said. If they don't understand it, they're a moron. If they understand, yet disagree that's a different story.

Too boring.

But when we do you often understand what I am saying. You even understand MAD quite well, but you don't agree.

I agree. He shouldn't have been a moron.

And what I think is right.

Not always, but in those instances...

I find people often feel belittled when someone is smarter, even though no one does anything to belittle them. They just don't like being the stupid one in the conversation.

Why don't you just shut up?

Is TOL the only place you get to vent your temper? Because no one in reality would tolerate you or your stupid big mouth for two shakes if you started to act all big and tough like you do here.

Is this the only way you get to dump your rage? If so, you're getting worse over time.

If you don't like what you see in the mirror, deal with it, but what you're doing here is only making you a bigger waste of time.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Certainly.

Ready?

nothing

I already gave a link to what bybee has done. As for TH, his own words in this thread speak for him. He used Scripture out of context. He accused me of not wanting to help those in need and he backtracked after several days to say he didn't think we should simply stop at the point where we give to those in need when they simply ask. When it takes someone that long to say something that they had, up to that point, seemed to think otherwise based on their words, I don't buy it.

And he complained about my attitude toward him, when he has the same attitude toward me. He may not use the same words I do, but his words are just as insulting in regard to my intelligence and intellect.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As for TH, his own words in this thread speak for him.
I think you're exactly right. My hope is that yours speak more to a need for maturation and reflection than anything else.

He used Scripture out of context.
No, I didn't. In fact, I corrected your attempt to do entirely that.

He accused me of not wanting to help those in need
Nope. I responded to your own writing attacking my position that feeding those in need was an absolute good. You went on to qualify your remarks in a way that appeared to contradict your engagement with me on the point. You then made points that suggested I had no interest in doing more than handing out food to people, which wasn't implied in my post at all.

and he backtracked after several days to say he didn't think we should simply stop at the point where we give to those in need when they simply ask.
That's a lie, Brandon. You know better. Attempt to do better.

When it takes someone that long to say something that they had, up to that point, seemed to think otherwise based on their words, I don't buy it.
Rather, I set out a fairly simple, straight forward position regarding soup kitchens, which was the subject under discussion. Once Brandon decided to stretch the topic into helping others become self reliant I noted that it wasn't something my position took exception to at all.

Just darn peculiar. As to his not buying it, feel free to read over the entire exchange and I think you'll realize what he's doing, consciously or subconsciously.

And he complained about my attitude toward him, when he has the same attitude toward me.
No. I noted your manners, or lack thereof and your general address of people.

He may not use the same words I do, but his words are just as insulting in regard to my intelligence and intellect.
No, not really. I've frequently addressed your laziness in thinking and poor conduct relating to, well, nearly anyone who disagrees with you...You've been treated with kid gloves by me.

Even when you poor behavior astounded me I set out that I thought you were smarter than that and couched my harshest criticism with an if aimed at the process and not your capacity. In fact, I ended the last exchange of that sort with a declaration that I thought you were capable of more.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think you're exactly right. My hope is that yours speak more to a need for maturation and reflection than anything else.
:blabla:

No, I didn't. In fact, I corrected your attempt to do entirely that.
You referred to verses regarding those who steal or sue you for your possessions as though they were commands to give to those in need. You're a liar. No surprise as it's in your job description.

Nope. I responded to your own writing attacking my position that feeding those in need was an absolute good. You went on to qualify your remarks in a way that appeared to contradict your engagement with me on the point. You then made points that suggested I had no interest in doing more than handing out food to people, which wasn't implied in my post at all.
I was arguing against not doing more and you disagreed. This thread was started because Knight's point, and the point of the person who suggested the topic, was that doing nothing more than handing out food does not help the homeless, but rather it hurts them. The entire argument was that soup kitchens are a bad thing because most of them do nothing more than hand out food.

You disagreed with those who said soup kitchens hurt the homeless. What was I supposed to think you meant?

That's a lie, Brandon. You know better. Attempt to do better.
No, I don't know better. It was a few days before you stated you thought we should do more than just hand out food.

I did not say you previously said otherwise. If I did, that would be a lie.

Rather, I set out a fairly simple, straight forward position regarding soup kitchens, which was the subject under discussion. Once Brandon decided to stretch the topic into helping others become self reliant I noted that it wasn't something my position took exception to at all.
If you had been paying attention you would have known that was the topic the entire time.

And I don't care if you don't take exception to doing so, I want to know if you take exception to not doing it.

Just darn peculiar. As to his not buying it, feel free to read over the entire exchange and I think you'll realize what he's doing, consciously or subconsciously.
Feel free to convince me otherwise. I still have a dollar left.

No. I noted your manners, or lack thereof and your general address of people.
And insulted me in the process.

No, not really. I've frequently addressed your laziness in thinking and poor conduct relating to, well, nearly anyone who disagrees with you...You've been treated with kid gloves by me.
I'm not Eddie Valiant.

And I'm not lazy when it comes to thinking. I do it quite well, and quite fast. I've often been accused of thinking too much. And even of being too logical.

Even when you poor behavior astounded me I set out that I thought you were smarter than that and couched my harshest criticism with an if aimed at the process and not your capacity. In fact, I ended the last exchange of that sort with a declaration that I thought you were capable of more.
That's called a backhanded compliment for a reason.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You referred to verses regarding those who steal or sue you for your possessions as though they were commands to give to those in need. You're a liar. No surprise as it's in your job description.
Nope. You're leaving off something a bit important. You attempted to narrow the focus of the scripture in question as though it was a code set out for that particular instead of an illustration of Christian practice. I noted your error, suggesting a further reading of Luke. I'll come back to it in a minute.

Around post 19 I took on the concern of the OP with this:

"Feeding the hungry is an absolute moral good. What the fed do or fail to do with that assistance is another thing altogether."​

When Knight weighed in with the Thessalonian verse you later used, I responded:

"My understanding is that Paul is chastising lazy Christians, not proscribing a distinction at odds with Ps 41:1-3; Prov. 14:21; 19:17, 22:9, 14:31, 28:27; Isaiah 58:6-10.

And if God would spare a wicked city for the sake of a handful of good men, then how can we justify ending the means by which even that handful might be spared and treated justly for fear of the misuse of the wicked?"​

I noted you weighing in at post 95 with a singular argument of the poor should work if they needed something. You suggested no sort of assistance at all.

At post 109, Delmar voiced concerns about charity potentially taking away the impetus for a man pulling himself out of difficult circumstances.

My response, in part:

"You can't alter good conduct on the chance someone will misuse the benefit you offer. That way lies disobedience wrapped in the disguise of virtue. Our obligations in love to one another aren't couched in that language and the master who forgave a debt to a man who then did not follow his example wasn't lessened or at fault for the second man's failure."​

At posit 129 you took exception to my use of scripture and I responded by pointing you to that further reading. "Give to everyone who asks of you." I also took note of your insistence that the poor earn their way, still nothing of that teaching/helping hand you assert I should have been aware of...I also took exception to your use of Matthew in such a way as would appear to preclude public works of charity. And I finished by reminding you that Christ, our example of love in action, died not for our merit, but for his desire/love.

I was arguing against not doing more and you disagreed.
No. That came long after the insults and a need to build something like a defense was necessary for you.

Continuing, the next post you speak of people working for it...it being the means to survive being discussed. That's tantamount to the Thessalonian quote and no reason to suspect a charitable impulse is contained within it.
This thread was started because Knight's point, and the point of the person who suggested the topic, was that doing nothing more than handing out food does not help the homeless, but rather it hurts them.
No. He didn't say that. He said that soup kitchens discourage people from doing for themselves. He didn't say anything about teaching them or doing more, or anything at all. Here's the post he made after launching the OP, by way of clarification:
Soup kitchens are bad. Soup kitchens help to remove motivation and therefore enable homeless folks to remain homeless. A sure-fire way to create a homeless problem in your city is build a soup kitchen. If you build it... they will come.
You disagreed with those who said soup kitchens hurt the homeless. What was I supposed to think you meant?
Exactly what I wrote in addressing, not the call to do other or more, but the complaint about the doing of this thing.

No, I don't know better. It was a few days before you stated you thought we should do more than just hand out food. I did not say you previously said otherwise. If I did, that would be a lie.
Lie was probably strong. You should have known better and the charge you set out, that I'd altered opinion, backtracked, etc., was as odious as had you intentionally set out the falsehood. You're responsible in either event.
If you had been paying attention you would have known that was the topic the entire time.
Rather, you were wrong, as I noted in setting out the defining comment on the initial OP by its author.
And insulted me in the process.
Your manners and misstatements were atrocious and there was no softer way to address them. Your response to more civil and gentler cautions demonstrated the ineffectiveness of them. Sometimes you can speak with a child. Sometimes the rod.
I'm not Eddie Valiant.
This isn't a movie.
And I'm not lazy when it comes to thinking. I do it quite well, and quite fast. I've often been accused of thinking too much. And even of being too logical.
I can't speak to what you're like elsewhere or with others. I simply noted a distinction between this self impression and the fact of the matter as it relates to this and our discourse (see: your OP confusion).
That's called a backhanded compliment for a reason.
Rather, it was a blow called for with a hope attached. A backhanded compliment isn't aimed at more than a delayed insult.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Nope. You're leaving off something a bit important. You attempted to narrow the focus of the scripture in question as though it was a code set out for that particular instead of an illustration of Christian practice. I noted your error, suggesting a further reading of Luke. I'll come back to it in a minute.
And you think you're not an idiot?

In context the verses in Luke are the same. They are not about those who are asking because they are in need, but rather those who are stealing.

Of course the argument still stands that even if the command is to give to those who ask because they are in need, the right thing to do is more than simply that.

Around post 19 I took on the concern of the OP with this:
"Feeding the hungry is an absolute moral good. What the fed do or fail to do with that assistance is another thing altogether."​

Which contradicts the idea that we should certainly do more than just feed them.

Feeding them is not a moral good if that is all we do. So it is not an absolute moral good. You fail.

When Knight weighed in with the Thessalonian verse you later used, I responded:
"My understanding is that Paul is chastising lazy Christians, not proscribing a distinction at odds with Ps 41:1-3; Prov. 14:21; 19:17, 22:9, 14:31, 28:27; Isaiah 58:6-10.​

And here you claim that if Paul meant his statement in regard to all people, and not just lazy Christians, that it would be contradicting those other verses, thus making the claim that those other verses were in opposition to that idea. But you have no way of knowing that. And in light of Paul's exhortation it is more likely that those other verses are in agreement with that idea.

And if God would spare a wicked city for the sake of a handful of good men, then how can we justify ending the means by which even that handful might be spared and treated justly for fear of the misuse of the wicked?"
And here your argument is that ending soup kitchens, which do nothing more than hand out food, would be ending the means by which the handful of good men might be spared, which is a false premise. The argument that we should stop just handing out food is that we should do more. That we should help those in need completely, by helping them help themselves. And we should not give them the means to be lazy and sit on their laurels, etc.

I noted you weighing in at post 95 with a singular argument of the poor should work if they needed something. You suggested no sort of assistance at all.
So?

My posts have borne out my argument, and to make an example out of post 95 is taking it out of context, as you did with Scripture.

At post 109, Delmar voiced concerns about charity potentially taking away the impetus for a man pulling himself out of difficult circumstances.

My response, in part:
"You can't alter good conduct on the chance someone will misuse the benefit you offer. That way lies disobedience wrapped in the disguise of virtue. Our obligations in love to one another aren't couched in that language and the master who forgave a debt to a man who then did not follow his example wasn't lessened or at fault for the second man's failure."​

Again, a poor argument. You are assuming that we want to stop helping people altogether. And that is not our suggestion at all. True charity is not the act of a bleeding heart; but that of a clean heart, and a steadfast spirit.

Charity should challenge people to get out of their dire circumstances, not to stay in them because they are being handed everything for nothing.

At posit 129 you took exception to my use of scripture and I responded by pointing you to that further reading. "Give to everyone who asks of you." I also took note of your insistence that the poor earn their way, still nothing of that teaching/helping hand you assert I should have been aware of...I also took exception to your use of Matthew in such a way as would appear to preclude public works of charity. And I finished by reminding you that Christ, our example of love in action, died not for our merit, but for his desire/love.
I took exception to your misuse of Scripture.

The verses in question in Matthew may not preclude charity, but they do not command it either. You will find that elsewhere.

Feeding the hungry is not at all the same as dying for sinners.:nono:

And you are right. I should not have assumed that you were smart enough to understand the point being made. You need told rather than shown. I'll try to remember that.

No. That came long after the insults and a need to build something like a defense was necessary for you.
Whatever, Mr. Murdock.

Continuing, the next post you speak of people working for it...it being the means to survive being discussed. That's tantamount to the Thessalonian quote and no reason to suspect a charitable impulse is contained within it.[/quote]
So Paul was speaking against charity? You fail. Paul was explaining how charity should work.

No. He didn't say that. He said that soup kitchens discourage people from doing for themselves. He didn't say anything about teaching them or doing more, or anything at all. Here's the post he made after launching the OP, by way of clarification:
Why do they discourage them from doing for themselves? Because they don't encourage them to!:dunce::duh:

Exactly what I wrote in addressing, not the call to do other or more, but the complaint about the doing of this thing.
What thing?

Remind me never to ask you to draw up my will. A decent lawyer would tear it apart.

Bottom line: the argument from the OP was that Soup Kitchens create, or exacerbate, the problem; they do not solve it. You appeared to take exception to that. My fault for assuming you were smart enough to infer.

You should have known better and the charge you set out, that I'd altered opinion, backtracked, etc., was as odious as had you intentionally set out the falsehood. You're responsible in either event.
At most I misused the term, "backtracked".

Rather, you were wrong, as I noted in setting out the defining comment on the initial OP by its author.
If you have ever discussed welfare or any sort with Knight, or anyone else who agrees with him on the subject, you would have known the point of this thread is that soup kitchens do harm because they do not solve the problem, or even try to. They only exacerbate it, or may even create it.

Your manners and misstatements were atrocious and there was no softer way to address them. Your response to more civil and gentler cautions demonstrated the ineffectiveness of them. Sometimes you can speak with a child. Sometimes the rod.
Neither works if the child doesn't respect you.

This isn't a movie.
If they gave awards for missing the point...

I can't speak to what you're like elsewhere or with others. I simply noted a distinction between this self impression and the fact of the matter as it relates to this and our discourse (see: your OP confusion).
There is no confusion. I know Knight. I know what the point of this thread is. If I should be sorry for anything it is that I assumed you were smart enough to take into account what you knew of Knight, Delmar and myself, as well as a few others.

Rather, it was a blow called for with a hope attached. A backhanded compliment isn't aimed at more than a delayed insult.
There was no delay in the insult. I'm not a moron.

bybee

As I understand the point of this thread we are talking about people who are already homeless. We are talking about people less fortunate than ourselves.
St. Martin split his cloak in half and gave one piece to a man in need.
The "Good Samaritan" stopped and assisted a man in need. He provided money to further care for the man til he should be healed.
Throughout our lives we all need assistance. Jesus made it simple. Just do unto others what you would have them do unto you. He didn't qualify or specify who the "others" were.
To feed a hungry person is to entertain Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.