toldailytopic: Should transsexuals be allowed to compete in a women's beauty pageant?

oatmeal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 27th, 2012 08:23 AM

toldailytopic: Should transsexuals be allowed to compete in a women's beauty pageant?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

A man who is mentally deranged to the point that he has genital modification surgery, does not make him a woman.

He is not a woman because he thinks he is.

He is mentally deranged.

No surgery is going to fix his mental derangement.

No surgery is going to change his genetic makeup.

No girly makeup is going to change his male genetic code.

He needed help to correct his thinking, not modify his genitals.

He needs help, desperately.

oatmeal

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
A man who is mentally deranged to the point that he has genital modification surgery, does not make him a woman.

He is not a woman because he thinks he is.

He is mentally deranged.

No surgery is going to fix his mental derangement.

No surgery is going to change his genetic makeup.

No girly makeup is going to change his male genetic code.

He needed help to correct his thinking, not modify his genitals.

He needs help, desperately.

oatmeal
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0016885
http://www.tradingmysorrows.com/

John Mortimer

Yes they should be allowed to compete. Feminine beauty is the focus of such a competition and there's absolutely no reason why a transsexual person cannot be a shining example of feminine beauty.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Yes they should be allowed to compete. Feminine beauty is the focus of such a competition and there's absolutely no reason why a transsexual person cannot be a shining example of feminine beauty.

Well, actually, feminine beauty among women is the focus of this particular competition.

So tell me, am I wrong to feel insulted that you can see a man as an shining example of feminine beauty? Enough to be acknowledged as such among women?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So tell me, am I wrong to feel insulted that you can see a man as an shining example of feminine beauty? Enough to be acknowledged as such among women?

Having a pervert as such in a women's beauty pageant is an insult to women.

John Mortimer

Well, actually, feminine beauty among women is the focus of this particular competition.

Feminine beauty is not the exclusive property of people in female bodies; just as masculine beauty is not the exclusive property of people in male bodies. :)

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Feminine beauty is not the exclusive property of people in female bodies; just as masculine beauty is not the exclusive property of people in male bodies. :)
I'm not seeing a clear answer to my question.

Am I wrong to feel insulted that you can see a man as an shining example of feminine beauty? Enough to be acknowledged as such among women?

John Mortimer

I'm not seeing a clear answer to my question.

Am I wrong to feel insulted that you can see a man as an shining example of feminine beauty? Enough to be acknowledged as such among women?

I don't see why you should feel insulted in such a scenario.

I'm guessing that our difference of perspective comes from you seeing your womanhood as an absolute aspect of your identity? Obviously I don't actually know if that's the case.

I have a male body - but what I am, (what each of us is), transcends gender.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I don't see why you should feel insulted in such a scenario.
Not quite answering my question, still. "Am I wrong to feel insulted..."
I'm guessing that our difference of perspective comes from you seeing your womanhood as an absolute aspect of your identity? Obviously I don't actually know if that's the case.
I see feminine beauty as an aspect of womanhood. And so I ask if it's wrong to see a man being acknowledged as an example of feminine beauty among women as an insult.

I have a male body - but what I am, (what each of us is), transcends gender.
No, actually. Gender does indeed effect one's behavior and overall psychology. It matters, to who you are, what gender you are. Feel free to try to establish your point, if you like.

Quincy

Well, despite the Maury show stumping me on many occasions I'm going to say no. They should have their own and leave the showcase of hot blondes to the hot blonde females.

John Mortimer

Well, despite the Maury show stumping me on many occasions I'm going to say no. They should have their own and leave the showcase of hot blondes to the hot blonde females.

:shocked:
What about the brunettes... the redheads.... the raven haired.... the greys....... (not the little dudes with the big eyes and long arms - even I draw the line there) ??? !!!