toldailytopic: Should government intervene to prevent bankers being paid large bonuse

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 23rd, 2012 09:17 AM

toldailytopic: Should government intervene to prevent bankers being paid large bonuses by their companies?

big_us_banks.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No. :nono: Not that I approve of all the bonuses that go on.

One potential exception is if the company got bailed out by the government.

oatmeal

No,

the free market system is self cleaning. It may at times to seem a little slow, but is in general more honest.

Government interventions just introduce the possibility of further corruptions and legalizing stupidity. Not that stupidity is illegal, but as Reagan said, the 9 most terrifying words in the English language, "I'm from the government and am here to help" that is the best I remember that saying of his.

If basketball players can "earn" $10 m a year for what? Playing basketball? They don't play by the rules. Neither basketball or legal ones. Is the NBA a monopoly?

How many times did S. O'Neal get away with free throw violation of stepping on the line?

oatmeal

rexlunae

I think large bonuses for running corporations into the ground are a symptom of the decline of corporate governance. But just arbitrarily restricting bonuses doesn't seem like the right solution unless it's part of some larger systematic reform.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think large bonuses for running corporations into the ground are a symptom of the decline of corporate governance. But just arbitrarily restricting bonuses doesn't seem like the right solution unless it's part of some larger systematic reform.

Systematic reform as in becoming a communist country? According to a few threads right now, that's where we are headed. :plain:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Should government intervene to prevent bankers being paid large bonuses by their companies?

No, if everything they do is private, yes if they receive government money.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

No, this is like treating a symptom and not treating the disease. If regulation is what you yearn for than one needs to look at speculation of the market by the banks (oil, food, etc.) and the tampering with the market system for short term personal gain, therein lies one of the biggest problems with the banks. IMO.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kind of an irrelevant question isn't? Obama paid back all his donors with the "stimulus" package. He printed a trillion dollars, gave it away, and charged us with the bill.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kind of an irrelevant question isn't? Obama paid back all his donors with the "stimulus" package. He printed a trillion dollars, gave it away, and charged us with the bill.

and I still see cars with Obama stickers on them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
and I still see cars with Obama stickers on them.

The road to destruction is broad, and many travel it. They are just waiting for him to pay off their mortgage and pay for their college. The only thing holding him back was those first two years when Nancy Pelosi ran Congress. :plain:

Newman

I see no reason why any profits (not just bankers') should be allocated coercively. Private property is private property.

ThePresbyteers

In the movie, Margin Call, the chief of Lehman Brothers played by Jeremy Irons told his workers to spend the last day selling bad worthless stock and they will be, each, awarded 1.3 million dollars for their success in ripping people off and our taxes paid them that money.

HECK yes the government should intervene.

thumb.php