toldailytopic: Should creation be taught in public school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The driving force for PT is subduction and ocean ridge spreading.
Subduction is the driving force of subduction? We obey the laws of thermodynamics in this forum, Volt. :)

denser ocean floor into less dense mantle where high temperatures lower the density.
Higher temperatures are a result of greater density and friction.

Ocean floor spreading occurs because the crust has been pulled apart at the ridges and is very thin which promotes partial melting of the mantle where it is thin.
If subduction is pulling plates apart, why are plates not pulled apart? Where are the fractures where the 'pull' cannot overcome friction?

Its all happening very slowly now but was accelerated in the past.

This notion I agree with.

Silent Hunter

Subduction is the driving force of subduction?
. . . you may teach English but reading comprehension isn't your strong suit . . . voltaire said no such thing.

We obey the laws of thermodynamics in this forum . . .
. . . while rules of grammar and punctuation are optional . . . :chuckle:

Higher temperatures are a result of greater density and friction.
. . . it's a good thing you don't teach physical science . . . while friction is a factor in temperature . . . the density of a substance is affected by temperature . . . not the other way around.

If subduction is pulling plates apart, why are plates not pulled apart?
. . . ah, but they are being pulled apart.

Where are the fractures where the 'pull' cannot overcome friction?
. . . all over the place . . . ever heard of the New Madrid Fault or the Mid-ocean Ridge (among other features)?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
voltaire said no such thing.
And yet the two things that PT is are seafloor spreading and subduction. You cannot use the results of PT as the causes of it. :nono:

And seafloor spreading is not a pull. It's a push. So either stick with one or declare both instead of leaving yourself room to equivocate.

. . . it's a good thing you don't teach physical science . . . while friction is a factor in temperature . . . the density of a substance is affected by temperature . . . not the other way around.
The density is affected by the temperature and the temperature is affected by the density depending on the way your study is designed. Both are reasonable statements. There is a physical process that controls the relationship between these two qualitative measures.

. . . ah, but they are being pulled apart.. . . all over the place . . . ever heard of the New Madrid Fault or the Mid-ocean Ridge (among other features)?
The MORs are not a plate being pulled apart where local friction cannot be overcome. With a plate that spans a third of the globe and a force pulling it there is no way the pull is going to leave the plate intact.

And the New Madrid Fault is on the North American plate which is not being subducted anywhere. Thus the forces acting on the NMF must be compressive.

Silent Hunter

And yet the two things that PT is are seafloor spreading and subduction. You cannot use the results of PT as the causes of it.
. . . why not? . . . because Stripe says so?

. . . do you know how liquid air is made . . . the result of a reaction is used to affect a previous reaction . . . a continuous loop.

And seafloor spreading is not a pull. It's a push.
. . . well, no, it's not. New sea floor is created by the insertion of magma as the plate(s) moves away.

So either stick with one or declare both instead of leaving yourself room to equivocate.
. . . Plate Tectonics.

The density is affected by the temperature and the temperature is affected by the density depending on the way your study is designed. Both are reasonable statements. There is a physical process that controls the relationship between these two qualitative measures.
:squint: . . . you have no idea what your talking about. The density of a substance is related to the temperature . . . gas for instance. If a gas is compressed the temperature increases because the gas is being compressed . . . the density of the gas is increasing because of the compression. However . . . the temperature will stop increasing when the compression of the gas stops and the temperature will equalize within the system. Should the temperature remain constant the density of the gas will remain constant. Nothing about the density of a gas apart from an external input (compression for example) will cause an increase in temperature. If you want to argue physics with someone . . . arguing with an engineer (me) was the wrong choice.

The MORs are not a plate being pulled apart where local friction cannot be overcome. With a plate that spans a third of the globe and a force pulling it there is no way the pull is going to leave the plate intact.
. . . no way huh? Do I detect an argument from incredulity?

And the New Madrid Fault is on the North American plate which is not being subducted anywhere. Thus the forces acting on the NMF must be compressive.
. . . irrelevant red herring. The plate is moving . . . therefore there must be somewhere where the plate is "fracture(d) where the 'pull' cannot overcome friction."

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
. . . why not? . . . because Stripe says so?
No .. because it is rationally absurd.

But feel free to keep explaining things this way...

. . . well, no, it's not. New sea floor is created by the insertion of magma as the plate(s) moves away.
:dizzy:

The results are in. You're officially a moron.

:squint: . . . you have no idea what your talking about. The density of a substance is related to the temperature . . . air for instance.
Of course it is. When I said there was a relationship between density and temperature I was not joking around.

If air is compressed the temperature increases because the air is being compressed .
And if you heat the air the density will decrease because the air is being heated. See how that works?

. . not because the density of the air is increasing because of the compression. If you want to argue physics with someone . . . arguing with an engineer (me) was the wrong choice.
Uh .. yeah. Whatever.

I've heard engineers being soundly mocked because they make physics claims and the atheist thinks they are not qualified. I guess this is more dependent upon one's confession of Christ than it is upon one's qualifications.

But whatever makes you feel smug. :idunno:

. . . no way huh? Do I detect an argument from incredulity?
No, you've just ignored the very simple to understand reason I gave.

. . . irrelevant red herring. The plate is moving . . . therefore there must be somewhere where the plate is "fracture(d) where the 'pull' cannot overcome friction."
What 'pull'? There is no subduction on the N.American plate. :idunno:

Alate_One

There were several recent papers saying the New Madrid fault is no longer being put under strain. I remember reading one that said it may have been originally loaded by glaciers and that strain is now past. It is only moving at 0.2mm per year in contrast to the San Andreas that is moving at 37mm per year. And yes it was originally created by a failed attempt at ripping the North American continent in half.

Silent Hunter

No .. because it is rationally absurd

But feel free to keep explaining things this way....
. . . at your level of understanding . . . sure.

The results are in. You're officially a moron.
. . . stick to teaching English . . . your students won't learn much . . . but it beats you teaching them science.

Of course it is. When I said there was a relationship between density and temperature I was not joking around.
. . . sure there is a relationship . . . but density doesn't affect temperature.

And if you heat the air the density will decrease because the air is being heated. See how that works?
. . . in a balloon perhaps . . . not in a closed and rigid vessel.

. . . notice how density is affected by temperature and not temperature by density in your statement?

Give one example where temperature is affected by density without an external imput (heat or pressure).

Uh .. yeah. Whatever.
:chuckle:

I've heard engineers being soundly mocked because they make physics claims and the atheist thinks they are not qualified. I guess this is more dependent upon one's confession of Christ than it is upon one's qualifications.
:liberals: . . . :idea: . . . :kookoo:

But whatever makes you feel smug.
. . . "smugness" has nothing to do with it . . . your lack of knowledge and understanding however . . . do.

No, you've just ignored the very simple to understand reason I gave.
. . . because you don't understand the principles involved doesn't make the process impossible.

What 'pull'? There is no subduction on the N.American plate.
. . . why not a "push" or a "slide?" The North American Plate is, without a doubt, moving (because the movement is measurable) . . . subduction isn't the only mechanism involved.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There were several recent papers saying the New Madrid fault is no longer being put under strain. I remember reading one that said it may have been originally loaded by glaciers and that strain is now past. It is only moving at 0.2mm per year in contrast to the San Andreas that is moving at 37mm per year. And yes it was originally created by a failed attempt at ripping the North American continent in half.
And if that were in anyway relevant to our discussion I might show you what is really going on. :)

But we're still here:

I have given clear and rational reasons for my explanation of Genesis. You have given no reasons or explanations for your rejection of the plain reading.

You've given zero reasons. Let's list them:

[LIST=1]
[/LIST]

See? Zero.

Genesis one quite clearly puts the firmament described in verses 6-8 on the surface of the Earth - in the midst of all the water that was on the surface of the Earth. God planned to live there so He called it His home - Heaven.

This analysis:
picture.php

...is perfectly reasonable despite your insistence (and zero reasons) that it is not.

Alate_One

And if that were in anyway relevant to our discussion I might show you what is really going on.
:rotfl: Like you know anything that is actually "going on" in nature? :rotfl:

I have given clear and rational reasons for my explanation of Genesis. You have given no reasons or explanations for your rejection of the plain reading.
Nothing you've said is clear or rational. Your "plain reading" includes heaven = a crust of rock. It's so stupid it doesn't even deserve a response much less a list of reasons.

All you are doing is asserting you are correct. There is no reason a word meaning heaven or sky should refer to a crust of rock, period.

It would make about as much sense as saying that when Paul said he was "caught up to the third heaven" he was actually sent to the bottom of the ocean in a submarine. :kookoo:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Alate_One,

Then why do you? Are you really so bored? When I was your age, I was busy, why are not not so busy?

Alate_One

Alate_One,

Then why do you? Are you really so bored? When I was your age, I was busy, why are not not so busy?

I am busy (trust me), but the casual observer might think Stripe wasn't saying something incredibly silly, so I feel the need to point it out.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am busy (trust me), but the casual observer might think Stripe wasn't saying something incredibly silly, so I feel the need to point it out.

How many "casual observers" are there in this thread?

I have given clear and reasonable explanations for my ideas. You have nothing but mockery and lies in response.

hwyangel

Do you think you have the answer to the origin of life problem? Well, if you do, enter your answer and win over $1.35 million dollars (paid over 20 years), offered through the The Origin-of-Life Foundation, Inc.® Your task is quite trivial. Just claim the "The Origin-of-Life Prize"® by "proposing a highly plausible mechanism for the spontaneous rise of genetic instructions in nature sufficient to give rise to life.

And don't forget to collect your peace prize to. LOL

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Silent Hunter

Do you think you have the answer to the origin of life problem? Well, if you do, enter your answer and win over $1.35 million dollars (paid over 20 years), offered through the The Origin-of-Life Foundation, Inc.® Your task is quite trivial. Just claim the "The Origin-of-Life Prize"® by "proposing a highly plausible mechanism for the spontaneous rise of genetic instructions in nature sufficient to give rise to life.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
. . . this seems to be another attempt at the . . . "you can't answer every possible inane question therefore goddidit" foolishness . . . :yawn:.

Last edited:

Flipper

So what was the last major scientific paper put out by creationists that shed any important light on a scientific topic while also supporting the creationist argument? What was the last creationist insight that didn't require appeal to non-biblical physical impossibilities? In what way has strict creationism pushed understanding of the world forward? When was the last really original piece of research carried out by creationists?

So I guess we shouldn't teach it in schools then.

Tyrathca

And by what method do the judges of this competition decide that something is "highly plausible"? Like basically every competition of this sort, no matter the topic, the prize is known to be essentially un-winnable since to win you have to actually change the mind of the extremely biased judge.
That would be Nobel prize and you would likely only get it if you could successfully replicate the process (or at least replicate a major part of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.