toldailytopic: Should Christians always forgive those who've done them wrong?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Only if they repent. We forgive them the same as God forgave us.
Funny, I don't see "only if they repent" in this passage. Ephesians 4:32 KJV And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

You were forgiven long before you repented.

2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

When Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) having been made sin for you (2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV), He forgave you all of your sins. Or are you willing to say that your sins were not forgiven by the faith and finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ in your stead?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Luke 17:3-4
3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.”

Forgive as God forgives. Whenever your brother sins against you and repents, forgive them.

Colossians 3:13
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

How does Christ forgive?

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Mark 1:15
15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
I find it interesting that you say that we should forgive as Christ forgave as in Colossians 3:13 KJV (which is right) and then go further and say how does Christ forgive (quoting another gospel than that which Paul preached).

Christ forgave you. There is no forgiving left to give. He gave Himself a ransom for all to be testified in due time (1 Timothy 2:6 KJV). He forgave you long before you were even around to "repent". Romans 5:6 KJV, Romans 5:8 KJV, Romans 5:10 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV

We should not attempt to conform God to what we think is right. Rather, confirm ourselves to God.
Yes, and as an ambassador for Christ you ought to know a thing or two about forgiveness, how God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their trespasses unto them and how God is operating in the dispensation of the grace of God. just sayin'

Haven't you established then that unbelievers do not need to repent to be saved?
Repent of what?

How many unbelievers will stand before God and point to you as a witness that they did not need to submit to God?
Submit to God in what regard?

Again, God does not forgive without repentance.
I trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of my salvation and am saved (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) and sealed unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV, Ephesians 4:30 KJV). Was there some religious hoop that I failed to jump through?

And again, you undermine the gospel completely with this teaching.
What gospel would that be? I saw you quote Acts 2:38, but I must have missed where you posted the gospel of Christ, the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...Romans 1:16 KJV.

Forgive as God forgives!

Luke 17:3-4
3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.”
Forgive as God forgave!

Ephesians 4:32 KJV And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Last edited:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
So Stephen was wrong in acts 7:60?
Stephen was referencing Christ's words on the cross. This doesn't render that plea meaningless, however, even if one must repent to be forgiven. If that condition is present, as so much of scripture seems to assume (and even explicitly state in many places), then that condition is implicit here as well.

Bear in mind that you're arguing for the precedent that any sin should be forgiven without repentance and now force the question why God does not forgiven everyone regardless of repentance. Everyone then is saved automatically, else God is less forgiving than Stephen was. Is God less righteous than Stephen? :idunno:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Funny, I don't see "only if they repent" in this passage. Ephesians 4:32 KJV And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
So you point to an apparent contradiction here. Which is correct, heir?

Or is it possible that one assumes something the other clearly states?

Which is it?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I find it interesting that you say that we should forgive as Christ forgave as in Colossians 3:13 KJV (which is right) and then go further and say how does Christ forgive (quoting another gospel than that which Paul preached).

Christ forgave you. There is no forgiving left to give. He gave Himself a ransom for all to be testified in due time (1 Timothy 2:6 KJV). He forgave you long before you were even around to "repent". Romans 5:6 KJV, Romans 5:8 KJV, Romans 5:10 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV

Yes, and as an ambassador for Christ you ought to know a thing or two about forgiveness, how God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their trespasses unto them and how God is operating in the dispensation of the grace of God. just sayin'

Repent of what?

Submit to God in what regard?

I trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of my salvation and am saved (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) and sealed unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV, Ephesians 4:30 KJV). Was there some religious hoop that I failed to jump through?

What gospel would that be? I saw you quote Acts 2:38, but I must have missed where you posted the gospel of Christ, the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...Romans 1:16 KJV.

Forgive as God forgave!

Ephesians 4:32 KJV And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Yet I was not saved until I repented and submitted to God. So do you argue that I was forgiven yet somehow still in debt for my sins before I repented? Or do you argue that I never needed to repent and accept Christ at all, being already redeemed?

Are you really arguing that everyone is already saved?

heir

TOL Subscriber
So you point to an apparent contradiction here. Which is correct, heir?

Or is it possible that one assumes something the other clearly states?

Which is it?
The point is, God forgave you for Christ's sake and that is how we are to forgive.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Yet I was not saved until I repented and submitted to God.
What do you mean repented and submitted to God?
So do you argue that I was forgiven yet somehow still in debt for my sins before I repented?
God forgave you, you need believe to have the righteousness of God upon you.

Romans 3:21-22 KJV But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Or do you argue that I never needed to repent and accept Christ at all, being already redeemed?

Are you really arguing that everyone is already saved?
I do not believe in universal reconciliation. However, I do believe that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their trespasses unto them 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV, 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV. And as stated above, one need believe to have the righteousness of God upon them.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
The point is, God forgave you for Christ's sake and that is how we are to forgive.

No, the point is whether it was necessary for me to repent of my sins to be saved. If it was, then that condition applies to my forgiveness of others if I am to forgive as God forgave me.

Folks, if you deny this condition on forgiveness then you accuse God. Unless you take that condition away from Him and claim He forgives everyone without repentance as well.

That this idea is leading you to that place is your red flag that something is wrong. :idunno:

And as stated above, one need believe to have the righteousness of God upon them.
You don't have to repent of your sins to be saved, heir?

Look, let's be clear here. Forgive has two related meanings. One references your personal feelings (resentment, etc) and the other references debt. I do not forgive the debts of those that sin against me who do not repent. Those that do, I forgive that debt to me. This hasn't anything to do with feelings. Scripture, when referencing forgiveness does not, as far as I can see, have anything to do with feelings. Feelings are irrelevant here.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
2 Timothy 2:15 KJV Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Heir, sheesh. I'm already arguing from the position that I am. Obviously I understand that there's no contradiction here. You're the one pointing to one verse omitting "repent" to contradict another that includes it. So show yourself approved.

heir

TOL Subscriber
You don't have to repent of your sins to be saved, heir?
I believe that Christ died for all of them having forgiven me all trespasses.

Colossians 2:13 KJV And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

heir

TOL Subscriber
Heir, sheesh. I'm already arguing from the position that I am. Obviously I understand that there's no contradiction here. You're the one pointing to one verse omitting "repent" to contradict another that includes it. So show yourself approved.
I am. You are not rightly dividing the word of truth. You are taking a teaching on forgiveness in M, M, L, and John and bringing it into the dispensation of the grace of God. I don't believe they jive. I consider what Paul says on the matter 2 Timothy 2:7-8 KJV from the form of sound words in Romans through Philemon. 2 Timothy 1:13 KJV.

To demonstrate that they don't jive, answer this...Are these next passages true for you?

Matthew 6:15 KJV But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mark 11:26 KJV But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Yes, I see we've had this same misunderstanding before. You're kinda ignoring my response back then, too, I see.

You are adding a requirement to the gospel of Christ~which is perverting the gospel when you say that someone has to repent of their sins to be saved.

Galatians 1:8-9 KJV But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.