toldailytopic: Romney vs Obama round one. Thoughts? Assessment?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Romney won the debate, which had to make him cheer up a little. Good thing, too...

The job market is finally showing some juice.

The unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent in September, the Labor Department said Friday, from 8.1 percent in July, its lowest since January 2009. It is a surprising show of improvement in a job market that had seemed listless in recent months. Unlike in August, the number improved for the right reason: not because people gave up looking for jobs, but because far more people reported having one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...b6e5bc-0ee7-11e2-a310-2363842b7057_story.html

Romney must feel like the guy who won the door prize at a party, and got hit by a bus going home.

Nitro

Sometimes I have hamburger instead of steak because it is all I can afford.

Get a clue.

You know that Romney and Obama aren't your only choices but you will still vote for Romney even though you said it's absolutely not the move you want.

Buzz

You know that Romney and Obama aren't your only choices but you will still vote for Romney even though you said it's absolutely not the move you want.
They are the only choices that have any possibility of winning the election. I'm not naive or foolish to think otherwise. Voting for someone else in like buying lottery tickets and refusing to work cause you think you might be the big winner.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
They are the only choices that have any possibility of winning the election. I'm not naive or foolish to think otherwise. Voting for someone else in like buying lottery tickets and refusing to work cause you think you might be the big winner.

it is more like playing the dumb card

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They are the only choices that have any possibility of winning the election. I'm not naive or foolish to think otherwise.
I don't think even the alternative candidates think they can win. They're running to shore up an agenda and to demonstrate a degree of popular support for it.

Voting for someone else in like buying lottery tickets and refusing to work cause you think you might be the big winner.
No, it's like refusing to support someone who doesn't represent your substantive views on the issues. If it was between Hitler and Stalin would you vote? If not then it's just a matter of degree.

I'm not voting for either of them. I'm done voting for the lesser of two practical evils.

Buzz

This attitude is exactly why the other candidates don't stand a chance.
Yeah right, that's it. :darwinsm:

What is your strategy to change the minds of tens of millions of people over the next month? I'm listening.

Buzz

I don't think even the alternative candidates think they can win.
It's possible that they are just as deluded as their voters.
They're running to shore up an agenda and to demonstrate a degree of popular support for it.
That ship has sailed. It's time to enter into reality, and to do what is strategically astute.
No, it's like refusing to support someone who doesn't represent your substantive views on the issues.
No one does.
If it was between Hitler and Stalin would you vote?
Yes, and it's not.

I'm not voting for either of them. I'm done voting for the lesser of two practical evils.
Then you've never voted, and you're not voting for anyone this time.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's possible that they are just as deluded as their voters.
Unlikely that either are deluded. Every candidate runs polls. Every voter is inundated by that data. Like I said, it's not about winning the office. That office has been bought by the two primary parties and they aren't sharing it. But if enough people become disenfranchised the parties will have to address outside concerns to bring in the dissatisfied vote.

That ship has sailed. It's time to enter into reality, and to do what is strategically astute.
I don't agree, either in principle or as a matter of pragmatic application. I don't see any gain in supporting fraud and that's how I see the two majority candidates... I tried that for a while, hoping to get something instead of nothing. It's a bad trade to my mind and one that works against what virtue is left in the enterprise. I'm not going to club you over it, because I shared your view not long ago and no one could have talked me out of it but me.

Now I have.

I wrote: I'm not voting for either of them. I'm done voting for the lesser of two practical evils.
Then you've never voted,
That doesn't follow. In fact, it's negated by the tense set out above. I'm done. I will no longer do.

and you're not voting for anyone this time.
It's possible I might not. Or I may vote for a third party candidate. I'm still thinking that one over.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Really? Please introduce me to your candidate. Is his mother's name Mary?
If I was voting on a religious platform that wouldn't help Romney out any, but I'm not voting for clergy. I'm also not voting for someone who doesn't represent my point of view on a majority of the issues. To me, citizenship begins with personal responsibility and the exercise of that as individuals. We can't have anything like representation if we don't first represent ourselves clearly. I understand principled compromise, but its foundation has to be something more than that spirit.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
When you stand before God will this be your excuse?

This attitude is exactly why the other candidates don't stand a chance.
Ding ding... ding ding... ding ding ding ding!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Then you are my enemy, and the enemy of my family.
Really?

The reason I don't need to read them is because it is the same argument you made four years ago; and the same argument I have heard from many these past two presidential elections.

It all comes down to, "Now is not the time." So I ask, when is the time? When will it be time?

And I am not your enemy.

P.S.
Am I helping to get Romney elected since I will not vote for Obama for the very same reasons?

Daedalean's_Sun

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 4th, 2012 07:34 AM

toldailytopic: Romney vs Obama round one. Thoughts? Assessment?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Romney's performance in the last debate surprised a lot of people including liberals, although it should be no surprise that the economy is Obama's greatest weakness, he will probably fare better on the social issues in upcoming debates, whether or not he is able to beat Romney in the next debate remains to be seen.