toldailytopic: Registered Sex Offenders: should there even be such a registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I actually have a bit of a personal stake in this issue. My best friend from the time I was eight has to register because he was falsely accused and there were no witnesses to back up his story. His attorney told him if he didn't plead guilty he would go to prison. So he signed an agreement for probation. And since he did this no one was able to testify that she was a known liar in regard to things like this. She even lied about me once. Of course there were four ear witnesses that I was not guilty. I say "ear" because she accused me of making sexual comments toward her. And the messed up part is what really happened is she instigated the conversation toward that by asking me if I'd ever have sex with her. I avoided answering the question, then she turned around and accused me of initiating that line of dialog.

She later confessed to all the people she had lied to that she was lying. Most of whom didn't believe her anyway. So there were plenty of witnesses that she lied about such things. There were also witnesses that she lied about certain things in her statement about what had occurred earlier in the day. But since he signed an agreement that was all ignored.

All this to say, my mom told me she had found his name on one of the websites. She already knew this story so she expected that was why, but the website gave no indication, whatsoever, what his offense was. And according to the official records [her statement] it was non-violent and their age difference was only a year. But there is nothing to alert anyone to the fact that it was not for rape or child molestation. So if someone were to get it in their head that they wanted to take down a violent sex offender for some reason they would have no way of knowing he wasn't even accused of a non-violent crime.

Of course, if he hadn't signed the agreement he might have been proven innocent.
That is messed up!

Clark Frugal

The training we went to for Comprehensive Approaches to Sex Offender Mangagement (CASOM) began to get confusing. I took knowledge from the experts who could explain the criminology and psychology, but going through procedures to allow the truly scary ones to live among us was difficult to compute.

It's like we have a brood of lethal scorpions living among us. We know that it is their nature to sting-and-kill. But we allow them to live among us.

Jacob Wetterling, Polly Klaas, Megan Kanka, Pam Lychner, Jessica Lunsford, Dru Sjodin, Adam Walsh...the names of famous heart breaking victims.

God wanted society protected. If society is to continue we need to start killing more people, not give them free room-and-board. I've recently wondered about the history of capital punishment. As the decades passed our laws softened the consequences.

If we are not going to kill the offenders then we have no choice other than register and manage.

There is so much we can learn from God's Law in the OT. It is interesting that child molestation is not a capital offense.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I believe that morgues should keep a registry.

What he said!!

Actually it might me a healthy thing to keep a list of sex offenders around, who no longer exist because of their sickening acts.

If you're ever having a bad day, I think looking at a list of dead scum who are no longer wasting precious oxygen might really help to put a sweet smile on your face.

I know it would put me in a really good mood. :banana:

Granite

Hall of Fame
That is messed up!

But he makes an outstanding point: because our society operates on a (usually correct) assumption of guilt once you're registered, and because we assume the worst about those who are, anyone who winds up on a registry unjustly finds it impossible to explain why. Classic case of systemic overkill. The system blacklists you for life regardless of your alleged "offense." And I say that because even consensual sex could you get classified as a sex offender.

Prolifeguyswife

But he makes an outstanding point: because our society operates on a (usually correct) assumption of guilt once you're registered, and because we assume the worst about those who are, anyone who winds up on a registry unjustly finds it impossible to explain why. Classic case of systemic overkill. The system blacklists you for life regardless of your alleged "offense." And I say that because even consensual sex could you get classified as a sex offender.

That's why the Bible requires witnesses. It can't just be one person's word. It would have to be an eye-witness, physical evidence, etc. which would ensure that there isn't an unjust ruling.

Dena

No, there shouldn't be a registry for sex offenders. Child molesters and rapists should be put to death.

I am not a fan of the death penalty but I do think they should be in prison forever. Until they die. No exceptions. Ever. NONE. They don't get better and that is just the sad reality.

I am not a fan of the death penalty but I do think they should be in prison forever. Until they die. No exceptions. Ever. NONE. They don't get better and that is just the sad reality.
We could just set up an "opt-out" program for those of us who want the death penalty, and let those who don't, pay for their room and board. Deal?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fine, only we get to pick how and when they die.

I'll go for that.

Gas money to bring the victims family to the execution.... $5

Money to cover the frying electricity cost/ rocks to cover the stoning ... $0.00 to $2

A filthy piece of sewer scum, painfully frying/being stoned to death, immidiately after being convicted ...PRICELESS!!

Doug Wright

'should there even be a...'

of course not. It's a total violation of due process. Unfortunately the courts have perverted justice and 'due process' has become 'whatever process is due' as a matter of course. If there is no 'process' to get put on this or that registry(there are several/not just 'sex offender'-you might be on one and never know) then that is all the 'process' you get/none!

When Christ talked about calling your brother Raca He was addressing just this scenario; there are those lawfully convicted and those who might be unjustly made to live under a cloud of gossip. When the word says you can judge the law and not be a doer-it also contemplates this by making a distinction between using the law always and resorting to extra-biblical means to get your fleshly satisfaction.
When someone serves their time(don't see much mention of putting people in animal cage-criminal school but..) they pay their debt to society. If we don't believe that then we should change the law.
There is no sin that requires a certain assessment by man more than any other violent crime.

The 'bill of divorcement' is also precedent. A woman could not be divorced Lawfully, despite rumor to the contrary, unless she committed adultery/uncleanness through fornication. Yet, the bill was given to keep that woman, not stoned because of the hard hearts of men, from being a legal anomoly. Her walking papers allowed her to remarry and thus not be a burden or forsaken. The Bible is pretty clear that within a Godly society people are whole/repaying a debt/or dead; there is no in-between.

I made this argument to the clerk of the 9th circuit court who was somewhat swayed regarding the first 'indefinite detention' in 2001. Even Judge Ferguson was impressed. Finally he said I don't care, "he's a 'bad' guy/he's not getting out".

'Bad' is 'Raca', and who determines it? In private? or in open court? God's Law is absolutely binding and unambiguous on this point.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Registered Sex Offenders: should there even be such a registry?

Yes? No? Maybe? We have one, but is it’s purpose. It seems to raise problems. Maybe put them in one place, their own city of refuge :idunno:

Luke 17:1-2
1 Then He (Jesus) said to the disciples, "It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come! 2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."

:think: . . .

How about after a non-jury trial that finds these sex offenders guilty, and sentenced to death, then do millstone drowning, or a gas chamber, electric chair, firing squad, lethal injection . . . That's not likely to happen any time soon. Since I think the medical professionals want to study these infant, child, woman and man abusers, these defilers and ruiners of infants and children to see what makes them tick, we already know, the devil, Satan, the deceiver, that old serpent. Ruiners, I know it is not an accepted word, deal with it.

But if they are put death, since the pathology sciences have improved vastly, then through an autopsy maybe they could learn something from these dead infant, child, woman and man abusers, these defilers and ruiners of other human beings.

But that is likely to happen either, an autopsy will not reveal a sick mind and a black sinful heart, it will not reveal the terrible wretchedness of a person’s soul, and if the coroner leans over and tells this human violator of infants, children, women and men says, "talk to me," and from that cadaver of dead flesh will be nothing but dead silence. Such revealing of such a wicked person will finally and only be revealed on the great and terrible day that these unrepentant wrong and evil doers of children will face.

Wait, maybe these infant, child, woman and man abusers, these defilers and ruiners of other human beings, could become useful medical research like rats, the courts could impose a medical research sentence that is valid until the day the wanton villains toward infants, children, women and men are dead, then donate there body to science or mortuary science schools, or crematoriums for practice.

So how about a, lobotomy on these sex offenders who hurt, molest, abuse, in any way or manner an infant, child, women or man. Lobotomy: surgical severance of nerve fibers connecting the frontal lobes to the thalamus performed especially formerly for the relief of some mental. Then after the lobotomy take the perpetrator to a prison that has solitary confinement, or build one in Wyoming, Wyoming could probably use the jobs to help it’s economy.

This is terrible, then maybe it is not, but how about sticking these violators of infants, children, women and men in cage with a sex crazed gorilla.

A number of years ago a niece of ours was assaulted, and one of our grandson’s was sodomized, and in both cases for the perpetrator it was probation and counseling for a year, and that was it, it seemed like there was no justice. Thankfully our niece as been an overcomer and gone on with her life, and the same for our grandson.

To us our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are valuable and precious, we love ours dearly. We had two of our children (daughters) die, not from any form of abuse but from health issues; that makes our children all the more precious and valuable. So the value and preciousness of children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren is even ore so.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I agree with those that there is a problem with how people can get put on these lists for things that really shouldn't qualify as a sex offense of a real predator.

As far as those who are truly dangerous, I sway between advocating the death penalty and other options.

fool

Hall of Fame
Lightouses buddy wouldn't have coped to something he didn't do if the punishment was flogging or castration and tattoos.
Classic example of our busted system.

The Graphite

Lightouses buddy wouldn't have coped to something he didn't do if the punishment was flogging or castration and tattoos.
Classic example of our busted system.
Very observant.

And if accusers and witnesses knew that perjury would carry the same penalty that the accused faces in that accusation... his friend probably wouldn't have been falsely charged, to begin with.

thoridorn

In my opinion, rapists and sex offenders should be put to death just as Rusha said. I also believe that there are those that we cannot judge. Perhaps they will decide that they want to change their lifestyle and repent. Only God can truly judge making the matter difficult to conclude.

Status
Not open for further replies.