toldailytopic: Professional athletes who credit God for helping them win.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 17th, 2011 08:16 AM

toldailytopic: Professional athletes who credit God for helping them win.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Humble and wise.

:think:

Assuming they're sincere and not just saying that because it's makes them look humble and wise.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Do you really think God is interested in the outcome of sporting events?
Probably not so much. But I would think He is interested in the physical health and ability that make one capable of it. I'm sure He wishes that for everyone, whether they participate in sport or not. And I'm sure He thinks it best for everyone to acknowledge that He is the reason one has those abilities and is capable of those things.

Silent Hunter

Have any of you christians ever wondered why you give your deity all of the credit but none of the blame?

That's :kookoo: imo.

At least HS seems the most reasonable in this regard compared to the rest of the lot.

HisServant

Who said God is making direct picks? Maybe God is/was/has blessed someone on the team...

Why would he do such at thing? God's blessings in the New Testament are usually associated with gifts of the Holy Spirit for the edification of the Body of Christ (the Ekklesia). Why would God bless someone who is involved in a Ekklesia related exercise that usually ends up in someone bragging one way or the other?

It seems to me that people are just desperate to try and acknowledge what they perceive is some sort of intervention by the divine.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Have any of you christians ever wondered why you give your deity all of the credit but none of the blame?

At least HS seems the most reasonable in this regard compared to the rest of the lot.
God is responsible for every good thing in the universe and throughout history. Blaming him for that is :kookoo: imo.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Why would he do such at thing? God's blessings in the New Testament are usually associated with gifts of the Holy Spirit for the edification of the Body of Christ (the Ekklesia). Why would God bless someone who is involved in a Ekklesia related exercise that usually ends up in someone bragging one way or the other?
Doesn't giving the credit and glory to God make it not bragging? So if they're sincere, then they have nothing to boast of. And if they're not...then that's not relevant to the discussion, I think, since I doubt Knight is asking about those who say this and don't mean it.
It seems to me that people are just desperate to try and acknowledge what they perceive is some sort of intervention by the divine.
Are we talking about divine intervention? Cases were God is credited with having intervened in a sporting event to the benefit of a particular team or participant?

Or are we talking about people taking what God has blessed them with and winning a competition with it, then crediting Him with the abilities that made it possible?

Which one are you arguing against?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Good job of quashing free-will there bucko.
Please explain how that quashes free will. I've hardly ignored the existence of free will nor credited God with the sins committed via free will. I assume then that you credit to God everything done contrary to His will by ours? That also is :kookoo: imo.

Silent Hunter

Please explain how that quashes free will.
In every way imaginable.

I've hardly ignored the existence of free will nor credited God with the sins committed via free will.
Is only "sin" a choice? If your deity causes a man to do "good" (or "bad") that negates free will by anyone's definition (see also the biblical book of Exodus).

I assume then that you credit to God everything done contrary to His will by ours?
:liberals:

Seems the christians are engaged in mind-reading again . . . :rotfl:.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Many Christians do give God the blame, it's called Calvinism. It's a tragic and completely unbiblical theology.

I'm sorry that it has soured you on Christianity. :(

MrRadish

Many Christians do give God the blame, it's called Calvinism. It's a tragic and completely unbiblical theology.

I'm sorry that it has soured you on Christianity. :(

Without wishing to butt in or hijack SH's argument, I think what he's saying is that if one's going to blame mankind for the evil deeds resulting from free will, it's a double standard to credit God with the good deeds resulting from free will.

HisServant

Doesn't giving the credit and glory to God make it not bragging? So if they're sincere, then they have nothing to boast of. And if they're not...then that's not relevant to the discussion, I think, since I doubt Knight is asking about those who say this and don't mean it.

Are we talking about divine intervention? Cases were God is credited with having intervened in a sporting event to the benefit of a particular team or participant?

Or are we talking about people taking what God has blessed them with and winning a competition with it, then crediting Him with the abilities that made it possible?

Which one are you arguing against?

Both...

Silent Hunter

Risking going off-topic but it seems K is doing what many christians on TOL do . . . reading minds.
Many Christians do give God the blame, it's called Calvinism.
It is always a good idea to place blame on those ultimately responsible imo.

It's a tragic and completely unbiblical theology.
As with all sects of christianity this is YOUR opinion . . . which is just as fallacious as all the others.

I'm sorry that it has soured you on Christianity.
Actually, no. Getting blamed (then banned) for what others do on TOL has "soured" me toward YOUR version of christianity . . . the rest have their own short-falls.

Can we stay on topic now?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
In every way imaginable.
Please explain...

Is only "sin" a choice? If your deity causes a man to do "good" (or "bad") that negates free will by anyone's definition (see also the biblical book of Exodus).

:liberals:
...because this doesn't. Here you're switching tracks and arguing that some things done by man's free will that are good cannot be credited to God. What's this got to do with whether or not God is responsible for sin done contrary to His will? :liberals:
Seems the christians are engaged in mind-reading again . . . :rotfl:.
The "I assume" was your cue to disagree and show me that my assumption is incorrect. So, you don't credit to God everything done by our free will? I can see you do not credit to Him any good thing done by our free will. Why then do you blame Him for our sin?