toldailytopic: Memorial Day: why is it special to you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 25th, 2012 09:33 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

OMEGA

Eze 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth,
saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live .

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Memorial Day is special to me. My father who passed away last summer was my best friend in the whole world.

And not only was he the best dad any kid could ask for.... he was a hero. He served in Korea on the front line in combat as a forward observer. And when it came time to leave the front line he decided to serve another tour, (how's that for choice?). The war-tales he told were legendary. He was always torn when he talked about the war, knowing the awful things that happened were hard for him to recount. Yet he wasn't ashamed of it either because he knew full well that battling Communism abroad was a vital aspect in keeping America free and safe. When all was said and done his role in the war took a toll on him emotionally yet he made sure to not let that turn him into a victim.

After Korea was done, he came home to the USA and became a race car driver (I guess he thrived on living on the edge). When he fell in love with my mom and my older sister was born he gave all of that up to focus on being a father to us kids. And a great father he was.

10 years (or so) before his death he gave his life to the Lord and that's when many of those emotional scars from his days in Korea vanished away for him. Battling in a war is a harsh memory to carry around but the Lord can take away any burden.

I think about him every single day, without fail.

If I become 1/8th the person he was... I will be proud.

I love you dad!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Memorial Day is special to me. My father who passed away last summer was my best friend in the whole world.

And not only was he the best dad any kid could ask for.... he was a hero. He served in Korea on the front line in combat as a forward observer. And when it came time to leave the front line he decided to serve another tour, (how's that for choice?). The war-tales he told were legendary. He was always torn when he talked about the war, knowing the awful things that happened were hard for him to recount. Yet he wasn't ashamed of it either because he knew full well that battling Communism abroad was a vital aspect in keeping America free and safe. When all was said and done his role in the war took a toll on him emotionally yet he made sure to not let that turn him into a victim.

After Korea was done, he came home to the USA and became a race car driver (I guess he thrived on living on the edge). When he fell in love with my mom and my older sister was born he gave all of that up to focus on being a father to us kids. And a great father he was.

10 years (or so) before his death he gave his life to the Lord and that's when many of those emotional scars from his days in Korea vanished away for him. Battling in a war is a harsh memory to carry around but the Lord can take away any burden.

I think about him every single day, without fail.

If I become 1/8th the person he was... I will be proud.

I love you dad!
Wonderful post, Knight.

I thank you, and I thank your dad for his brave service.

My own father enlisted in WWII and the Korean War.
usa2.gif

highlife

Its a day off work and a long weekend. I am in the race cars stage of life, accept I want to race planes, though I dont think I will give it up just because I have kids.

S

Strefanash

why are such memorials to war dead special to me? they are not.

war is sin, the motivation for it is patriotism which is almost always idolatry. worse than that memorial days are blasphemous as they liken the death of someone in what boils down to a gang war to the death of Christ.

any freedom which can be defended by force of arms, or lost if the arms fail, is not freedom in christ. we will discover this when are we are being martyred imprisoned and massacred during the Great Tribulation and are still free in christ

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Memorial Day is a reminder that freedom is not free. It comes at a very high price.

john w

Hall of Fame
It's a day off to survey the book, catch up on what has happened on my soap, my "story," since the last holiday, eat fritos, play videogames, return chick calls, and have a few cold ones.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
That is a great testimony of your father Knight.

I personally don't have that kind of testimony but I do respect the one's who sacrificed parts of their life for the freedom of others.

For me Memorial Day is the Memorial Day Parade that our town has every year. It ends at the cemetery with a speaker or tribute to those who served for the cause of freedom. Last year they had the Blue Angels do a few fly-byes.

As a woman I don't think that I fully understand the whole thing but I do respect it.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Memorial Day.

To remember those who served from past wars with a thankful heart. :FrankiE:

To watch for the return of the MIA's and the POW's :FrankiE:

To thank those who serve today. :FrankiE:

My dad didn't serve in the military, he was deferred during WWII, dad had a civil service position on the west coast with Army Corp of Engineers. :e4e:

Most treasured and remembered Memorial day: May 30th, 1952 it was on that day that we were at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." Bill Vukovich crashed while leading on lap 192, and 22 year old Troy Ruttman went on to win in the #98 Agajanian Special.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Memorial Day.

To remember those who served from past wars with a thankful heart. :FrankiE:

To watch for the return of of the MIA's and the POW's :FrankiE:

To thank those who serve today. :FrankiE:

My dad didn't serve in the military, he was deferred during WWII, dad had a civil service position on the west coast with Army Corp of Engineers. :e4e:
:up:

Most treasured and remembered Memorial day: May 30th, 1952 it was on that day that we were at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." Bill Vukovich crashed while leading on lap 192, and 22 year old Troy Ruttman went on to win in the #98 Agajanian Special.
Every time I see a race, I think of a comedian that talked about it .....
left turn, left turn, left turn.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
My grandfather and uncle were both marines - my grandfather serving in WWII, my uncle serving in Vietnam.

Memorial Day is special because it honors all of those who are and have been willing to give themselves for all of us to ensure our hard won freedom.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My grandfather and uncle were both marines - my grandfather serving in WWII, my uncle serving in Vietnam.

Memorial Day is special because it honors all of those who are and have been willing to give themselves for all of us to ensure our hard won freedom.
:thumb:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I have never lost a family member in a war although many have served this country. I loved the Patton quote where he said something to the effect that it is not your job to die for this country but rather to make sure the other bastard dies for theirs.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is special because it reminds me of how good America used to be, not wicked and evil. And Americans would die to defend it, and others who wished to be free.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I have never lost a family member in a war although many have served this country. I loved the Patton quote where he said something to the effect that it is not your job to die for this country but rather to make sure the other bastard dies for theirs.

That doesn't sound American.