toldailytopic: Libya's Muammar el-Qaddafi is dead, discuss.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 20th, 2011 09:34 AM

toldailytopic: Libya's Muammar el-Qaddafi is dead, discuss.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good riddance. Another loser dictator bites the dust. :execute:

I don't feel sorry for him. He is responsible of the deaths of many innocent people. Here is a selection of scripture verses that feel are fitting.

Proverbs 10:6 - Blessings are on the head of the righteous, But violence covers the mouth of the wicked.

Proverbs 21:7 - The violence of the wicked will destroy them, Because they refuse to do justice. This one is pretty descriptive and fits Quaddafi to a 'T'.

Matthew 26:52 - But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Quaddafi was a violent man. He often brutally tortured people, including placing people in vats of hot boiling oil. He met a violent end.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:noway: Wow.

Drudge has a headline of 'Got ya' with a picture of Obama shaking Gaddafi's hand. :eek:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Drudge has a headline of 'Got ya' with a picture of Obama shaking Gaddafi's hand.

They are fellow Africans just exchanging pleasantries. I am glad he is gone. I don't look forward to al-qaeda trying to set up shop.

MrRadish

It's a shame that he's dead - he was, after all, just a man, and the death of a person is never something to be happy about - and also a shame that he couldn't stand trial. Hopefully it will help put a swift end to any remaining resistance to the new government, though, so that Libya can get on with recovering peacefully.

I still think that the UN's claims that they were only trying to protect civilians and had no interest in regime change were disingenuous, though. It should have either been open about trying to install a new government or not got involved at all, since constantly abusing the 'peacekeeping' excuse is going to make it much harder to get involved if there really is a situation where they only want to protect people.

rexlunae

Let that be a message to the likes of Al-Assad. The fate of Mubarak might have been bad, but the fate of Gaddafi was worse. You can't oppress your people forever and violence against them will be the end.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Maybe we should just plant all the Presidential candidates as leaders in these countries we claim we are making free from dictators. Let's give Libya Rick Perry!

Skavau

It's a shame that he's dead - he was, after all, just a man, and the death of a person is never something to be happy about - and also a shame that he couldn't stand trial. Hopefully it will help put a swift end to any remaining resistance to the new government, though, so that Libya can get on with recovering peacefully.

I still think that the UN's claims that they were only trying to protect civilians and had no interest in regime change were disingenuous, though. It should have either been open about trying to install a new government or not got involved at all, since constantly abusing the 'peacekeeping' excuse is going to make it much harder to get involved if there really is a situation where they only want to protect people.

I agree.

They should have been open about it from the beginning. Though it must be pointed out that the only real way to protect the civilians of Libya during the civil war was to prefer and encourage a specific outcome. The idea of a neutral force acting as a referee as two hostile forces shell each other appears to me as absurd. They would be merely prolonging the conflict and attempting to have it out with some kind of decorum.

I sincerely hope now something happens in Syria towards their regime and Yemen and so on. There should be a unified democratic block against the world to undermine and isolate all fascist and totalitarian states and I include China in that isolation.

eameece

You do make good points.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Still waiting for the Obama press conference where he takes full credit for this.

rexlunae

Still waiting for the Obama press conference where he takes full credit for this.

Am I allowed to remind you you said that when he holds a press conference praising the efforts of Libyans and the international community, especially our NATO allies? That is the tone he's set so far, at least.