toldailytopic: Is the Pope anointed by God?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2012 10:14 AM

pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Catholics would say yes.
Calvinists would have to say yes.
Protestants would say absolutely not. (unless they are Calvinist)
Atheists would think that all Christians would say yes.

Last edited:

alwight

My maternal Grandfather was a staunch Northern Irish Orangeman (a very right wing protestant) who's hatred for the Pope and any kind of "Popery" knew no bounds.
He probably thought that Satan himself anointed the Pope.

Choleric

Catholics would say yes.
Protestants would say absolutely not.

Why would calvinist have to say yes?

And of course, the pope, the one "they" call 'Holy Father' :vomit: is not anointed by God and is in fact an enemy of the Cross.

Jesus said "call no man father" and those God haters doubled down and went straight to "holy father". one day that beast will sit in the temple declaring himself to be god. Won't end well for him though. :D

student_ad_x

Protestants would say absolutely not.

Unless we are using a different definition of anoint, the confessional Reformers would not say yes.

[SIZE=-1]London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689
Chapter 26: Paragraph 4. The Lord Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, in whom, by the appointment of the Father, all power for the calling, institution, order or government of the church, is invested in a supreme and sovereign manner; neither can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof, but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the church, against Christ, and all that is called God; whom the Lord shall destroy with the brightness of his coming[/SIZE]

Westminster Confession of Faith 1646
Chapter 25: paragraph 6: There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself, in the Church, against Christ and all that is called God.

elohiym

Anointed in what sense?

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above ...

Romans 8:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

elohiym

...aren't there several kings in the OT that the Lord worked with? Even a King of Babylon?! And what about Daniel's kings?

Jeremiah 27:6 And now have I given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2012 10:14 AM

pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

Matthew 7:15-16 - “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?

Why do I post these verses? Is the Pope anointed? It would depend if he has accepted the LORD Jesus Christ as his personal Savior. God would weigh each Pope on an individual basis. There certainly have been Popes that have been ravenous wolves. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there have been some that were actually Christian.

A Pope is no more anointed than any person who accept Jesus as Savior. That anointing is the seal of the Holy Spirit.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
My maternal Grandfather was a staunch Northern Irish Orangeman (a very right wing protestant) who's hatred for the Pope and any kind of "Popery" knew no bounds.

He probably thought that Satan himself anointed the Pope.
We call him the New Jersey devil (Mt 24:24, Mk 13:21–23).

X1Jerseydevil.jpg

Believe the lie (Jude 11). :reals:

See:

No Papal Authority

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To be a prophet false or otherwise don't you have to go to people and try to speak to them even if they don't necessarily ask for it?

The Pope does not appear to try to proselytize Protestants.
In fact, I don't know of any Catholics who try to force their position
any one else?

Inzl, couldn't you come closer to being a prophet good or bad
than the Pope who is a leader of people who want him to be their leader, indeed wasn't he voted for?

There have been past Popes that have been oppressive and wanting to convert the masses or else. Popes are like any other leaders of a group of people, some are bad and some are good.

Only God really knows the man's heart. I have known some Catholics that really had it together when it came to the message of Christ. Being Catholic, in my view, doesn't disqualify a person from being Christian. What defines a Christian is accepting the LORD Jesus as one's personal Savior. I have known a few Catholics that have done just that.

student_ad_x

Hi rainee,

I'm sorry it took me a bit to get back online, then to your post. I'm a sub-par multitasker.
;)
But, Student_ad_X,
Would you answer a question couched in a claim that Reformers
are not Protestants while implying the poser of the question was Protestant?
The Lutherans didn't like the term protestant. I have not read that the Reformers aren't considered or didn't consider themselves Protestants, as I'm sure they would all agree with what Fred Saunders succinctly wrote about the word Protestant: "The word seems to come from pro + testari, to testify forth, or to hold forth a position on something. Its primary historical meaning has been to assert, to maintain, to proclaim solemnly or state formally."

If I am not a Protestant then these newbie pop up denominations or whatever they are - are CERTAINLY NOT Protestants, are they?
How could they be?
In these times, Protestant doesn't carry the same weight as it did 100 years ago. Many are unknowledgeable of the Scriptures, or lackadaisical. The issues that have divided aren't relevant to 21st century moral sensability.
The Roman Catholic Church goes back how far in Christian history?
The catholic Church goes back to Jesus Christ. The Roman Catholic church fell into grave error and apostasy.
A lot of good and bad has gone under the bridge, I think?
The Council of Trent still stands. Justification by faith alone, sola fide, is anathema. Without the doctrine of justification, the Church falls.
And as for Reformers, we have had our ups and downs and our
scars to show our wounds from the past, haven't we?
Yes, of course.

What does an Open Ender have to show for themselves?

Isn't it true that those who do - did.
And those who criticize are johnny-come-lately's, untested and untried who may not do at all?
I'm a bit confused here, or you talking about Open Theism, the unsettled view, or have I totally missed the boat? :)

I think Catholics and Protestants may have sincerely believed in Christ and the resurrection of the dead - and died for it.
Is this not to be considered now?
A Roman Catholic will be called in grace from the LORD like everyone else, by the gospel, through faith alone........ despite their denomination's teaching errors. I have Roman Catholic friends, I pray for them, the individual,, but not an apostate church who's had their lampstand removed.