toldailytopic: Is the end near? Earthquake, tsunami, nuclear disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 14th, 2011 11:00 AM

toldailytopic: Earthquake, tsunami, nuclear disaster... is this the beginning of the end?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

some other dude

Yes

No, wait. Maybe it's the end of the beginning. :think:

Or the middle part of the beginning of the halfway point toward the end of the first half. :noway:

Whew.

Somebody call a timeout while we figure this out.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some folks are saying this is the beginning of the end for the earth and it's the start of God's judgment for our wicked and immoral culture. Others are saying it's the beginning of the end from a secular perspective because we won't be able to stop the effects of the nuclear meltdowns in Japan and the violent earthquakes along those same fault lines are becoming more prevalent thereby signaling that the earth is starting another chapter in it's long history (one that might not include us humans).

What say ye?

Alate_One

I'm not really too worried about the "end of the world" just yet. But I have read that the activity on the pacific plate is increasing. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a major earthquake on our side of it (Pacific Northwest/California) sometime in the next few years.

As bad as meltdowns are, they'll at the very worst cause devastation in Japan only (radioactive clouds are a possibility but they'll probably be very dilute by the time they get here). However, the worse case scenario might cause further major damage to the world economy.

Humans are pretty resilient, we've survived worse situations. But surviving isn't really the question, it's how ugly will it get.

red cardinal

If it's "God's judgment", then we have a wee bit of a problem. Not everyone that dies due to these horrific natural disasters is being "judged" by death > disasters take believer and unbeliever alike. The rain falls on the just and unjust. :rain:

I always believed that judgment for each person is reserved for Christ's return. What am I missing? :confused:

Jesus said the end would be marked with wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes, etc. But then, these things have been going on for centuries. Some days I think these are the end times, and other days I think we have a really long way to go - I don't think we have seen the worst of what's coming. Just my 2 cents worth :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As bad as meltdowns are, they'll at the very worst cause devastation in Japan only (radioactive clouds are a possibility but they'll probably be very dilute by the time they get here). However, the worse case scenario might cause further major damage to the world economy.
I was thinking about that yesterday. Japan is a somewhat small island, this event really could spell the end of Japan (as we know it).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I would like to hear from the premillennialists

don't we have a least a 1000 more years after Jesus comes again?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's the ramp up to the 2012 Pole shift.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataclysmic_pole_shift_hypothesis
The Japan quake shifted the axis 6.5 inches and shortened the days.
http://www.onenewspage.com/news/Sci...thquake-moved-Japan-by-feet-shifted-Earth.htm

Gross said: "By changing the distribution of the Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused the Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds".

Oh great, we already don't have enough time in the day to manage our Farmville crops, and now this??? :madmad:

fool

Hall of Fame

Gross said: "By changing the distribution of the Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused the Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds".

Oh great, we already don't have enough time in the day to manage our Farmville crops, and now this??? :madmad:

Plus with the days shorter The End is hurtling towards us even faster.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here are Jesus' words on the subject:

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Matthew 24: 6-8

We live in a fallen world. Disasters and wars are going to continue to happen until Jesus returns. Major disasters are nothing new as the following story will relate.

Anyone know about Mount Krakatoa? I will tell you its story. It was located in the Sundra Straight between the Islands of Java and Sumatra in Indonesia. It began to awaken in May of 1883. In the early phases it generated earthquakes felt as far away as Australia as it vented steam. explosions from the Volcano could be heard as far away as Jakarta. Then it died down. Around the 16th of June Krakatoa began to spew big black clouds of smoke that covered the islands for five days. On the 24th a brisk East wind blew the black cloud away, making visible two ash columns issuing from the volcano. The violence of the eruption made tides unusually high. The ships at anchor had to be moored with chains as a result. Earthquakes began to be felt in Java and large clouds of pumice started to be reported by ships in the Indian Ocean to the West.

On the 11th of August a man by the name of H. J. G Ferzenaar explored the islands. He took note of three major ash columns venting from the volcano and steam puffing from eleven other holes in the mountain. All the vegetation was gone. Only stumps were left. The following day a ship reported another steam vent.

By August 25th the eruptions continued to intensify. At 13:00 local time the eruptions peaked. An hour later the eruption was continuous and explosions could be heard every ten minutes. The ash scattered 12 miles out, littering the decks of ships with pieces of hot pumice nearly four inches in diameter. A small tsunami hit the shores of Java and Sumatra 25 miles away between 18:00 and 19:00. The worst was yet to come.

On the 27th of August four enormous explosions took place at 05:30, 06:44, 10:02, and 10:41 local time. They were so violent that they were heard clear to Perth, Australia, 2,200 miles away and the island of Rodrigues near Mauritius, 3,000 miles away. Each created very large tsunamis that were up to 100 feet in places.

The pressure wave generated by the colossal final explosion radiated from Krakatoa at 675 mph. It was so powerful that it shattered the eardrums of sailors on ships in the Sunda Strait. The pressure wave was recorded on barographs around the world. It continued to register for five days and the shock wave circled the globe 7 times. The explosion destroyed the Island of Krakatoa.

Around noon on August 27, a rain of hot ash fell around Ketimbang in Sumatra. The blast itself killed around 1000 people. That is not counting the deaths from the tsunamis. There were no survivors from 3,000 people located at the island of Sebesi. The official death toll recorded by the Dutch authorities was 36,417, although some sources put the estimate at 120,000 or more. Many villages were destroyed--Teluk Betung and Ketimbang located in Sumatra and Sirik and Semarang in Java. There are many documented reports of human skeletons floating across the Indian Ocean on rafts of pumice and washing up on the eastern shore of Africa up to a year after the eruption. Some land on Java was never rebuilt. It is now a Jungle --the Ujung Kulon National Park.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The end of the world? No, of course not. Certainly the end of many Japanese lives. Looks like this'll take a long time to recover from and if there's a meltdown? That's a limited apocalypse in and of itself.

fool

Hall of Fame
The end of the world? No, of course not. Certainly the end of many Japanese lives. Looks like this'll take a long time to recover from and if there's a meltdown? That's a limited apocalypse in and of itself.

They're not calling it a melt down.
But, if you had an Earthquake on Friday and now it's Monday and you still don't have your reactor shut down I can only surmise that you can't shut your reactor down.
So, they are having a "we can't shut it down".

Status
Not open for further replies.